TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1113 114 115 116 117151 Next

What's going to be the biggest surprise of 2016 season?
Ferrari beats Mercedes 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Williams will stay 3rd in standings 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
McLaren Honda gets podium 37%  37%  [ 29 ]
No wet races 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Maldonado and Palmer are incredibly reliable and scores in every race 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
People will not complain how boring it is 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
It isn't actually boring at all 16%  16%  [ 13 ]
Total votes: 79
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

webbsy wrote:
I know Lance Stroll is loaded with his dad's money....but is he actually a quick driver that just happens to be heavily bankrolled, or is he just a heavily bankrolled driver? I haven't seen anything of him apart from that huge crash at Monza. If he is actually a quick driver then I think he might be a good choice for the Williams seat with the balance of speed and money.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3447 ... -williams/

It's like another Chilton family, but in Stroll's case he has talent and has proved to be coachable. I reckon he's a good option for Williams but I wish they'd do with him what they did with Bottas I'm 2011, give him a year doing Friday practice sessions and then promote him to a race seat the year after.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
StefMeister wrote:
The Mercedes engine may now be producing over 1,000Bhp in qualifying.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... er-829341/

that's what F1 needs, not fuel flow concerns

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dicksplaash wrote:
Except for that time the recently crowned champion elected an Indycar team instead of another F1 team, and F1's biggest star tested an Indycar. Indycar was a threat, a slight threat, in that way, but never in stealing F1's markets. Indycar's Surfers Paradise race would never kick out the Australian GP for example.

It was a big enough of a threat for Bernie to include a clause in the tv deal with Dutch tv preventing them to broadcast indycar. This was early 90's.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
StefMeister wrote:
The Mercedes engine may now be producing over 1,000Bhp in qualifying.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/analy ... er-829341/

that's what F1 needs, not fuel flow concerns

This literally makes no sense. How does that engine achieving an arbitrary figure make this season any less dull?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cars on the edge can be more difficult to drive

take the Brabham BT54, the car that used works BMW engine at the height of turbo development

there was Nelson Piquet and Marc Surer driving. both good drivers, but only Nelson excelled at going near the limit on a car with 1200bhp and almost no driving aids

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cars producing 1,000bhp won't make the racing any better if cars can't get close enough to race due to aero & if the cars have so much overall grip that they look like there on rails anyway (Which is what I think were going to see next year).

The turbo's of the 80s turned up to 1,000bhp+ in qualifying made things look so spectacular because the cars were producing a fraction of the grip current cars are. Those cars weren't sliding around simply because of the power, They were doing it because the cars had way more power than the grip they were producing could cope with.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I've always maintained that these engines are an incredible technological achievement, I just feel they are the wrong kind of engine for F1.

But credit to Merc if they are packing that kind of power from a 1.6 liter engine. As Scotty said going from 999hp to 1000hp doesn't really do anything from a racing standpoint, but from an engineering/ psychological standpoint its a pretty impressive marker laid down by Merc if true.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Let the over saturation of F1 begin.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3447 ... n-vietnam/

I love F1 but would hate to have it go the way of Nascar with a race pretty much every weekend. To me it just kind of diminishes the importance of each individual race, thus the championship.

A good example of this is this year with Hamilton being 45 odd points back, there was the general feeling that "ohh he can claw those points back in the later half of the season". Where as if the calendar was say 16 races, it would be a feeling of "Oh shit, how is he going to get those back"! and its kind of diminished in my eyes at least what a wonderful achievement it was for him to get those back and take the lead.

But then again, this is just a fans view of things and in the billion dollar industry of F1, that counts for shit.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'll just leave this here
http://motorsports.nbcsports.com/2016/0 ... n-vietnam/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

racer612008 wrote:

Post above...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

it'll be the same situation as other asian tracks, they drop a shitload of money just to discover is a flop, unless they reduce the taxes

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:20 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

LucasWheldon wrote:
it'll be the same situation as other asian tracks, they drop a shitload of money just to discover is a flop, unless they reduce the taxes

I miss the Champcar way of dealing with Asian races

Announce the race in a big fanfare, accept a healthy deposit towards the sanctioning fees, then quietly cancel the race 6 months later when you "realise" the track is some jumped-up go-kart track in the middle of nowhere.

Saying that, I think V8 Supercars has cottoned on to that business model recently...

I read the article a few posts back with the new owners grandstanding about their plans for the sport...

They want to increase sponsorship levels (which they don't say if its for the series itself or for the teams....if its the latter, look out teams as Bernie's tendency to wait for you to put in the hard work luring a sponsor to back your team only to have FOM itself cherry pick them at the 11th hour might get a hell of a lot worse), which is all fine and dandy.

Then in the next breath "we want to take the sport more to Pay TV"

:slaphead:

They just don't get it....the sponsors aren't going to come in paying the big bucks if the amount of people watching is reduced via pay TV

They keep making grandiose comparisons to NASCAR's business model yet seem blind to the fact that 90% of NASCAR's season is on free to air TV, or as close as you can get to that in America.

Pick Pay TV revenue or large sponsorship revenue, you can't have both.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:22 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
They keep making grandiose comparisons to NASCAR's business model yet seem blind to the fact that 90% of NASCAR's season is on free to air TV, or as close as you can get to that in America.

Not to mention NASCAR actually has an online strategy and a big presence on Youtube. Tell the F1 bigwigs how NASCAR actually uploads every race in full to youtube for free viewing worldwide, and watch their heads explode.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:57 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Not to mention NASCAR actually has an online strategy and a big presence on Youtube. Tell the F1 bigwigs how NASCAR actually uploads every race in full to youtube for free viewing worldwide, and watch their heads explode.

I had no idea they did this, and honestly my head did do a little asplode. That is damn good, and with Bernie even a little bit involved still it won't happen :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Indycar does it as well a few days after, with highlights of every day all through the week-end, onboards, and general fun stuff the drivers did.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

the big problem with sponsors is that they don't see the sport like it was years before

average people tend to see the automobile as the great villain for urban chaos and all that enviromental problems

I guess potential sponsors see that automobile competition is something more and more from a distant past and yet they took the main source of money that is tobacco

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:41 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

How far F1 is behind regarding online content is ridiculous. I've followed Nascar for a while but more just reading about it but discovering the full races on YouTube is amazing on their part. Even imagine if they went the WWE way and launched a F1 Network, 9.99 a month all races past and present; GP2/3 F3000, documentaries, they'd make a killing. But they'll never see the sense in that.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:09 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Exactly, F1's online strategy is a drop in the ocean compared to that, heck even Formula E appeared with a better online marketing process than they did and that's a brand new (ish) championship starting from Scratch

F1 is starting to "get it" by putting track previews and stuff online, but even then the best stuff is "hidden" on their website video section where they'll show you onboards, overtakes and other cool clips, but people have to be aware of what F1 is and type in www.formula1.com to see them.
They don't get that Youtube isn't just full of F1 fans who'll use it to not give them money, there's also millions upon millions of people who've never heard of F1 that can be converted if you get your online content right.

For some reason the older generation see youtube and other social media platforms as a threat or something that'll take away their business when they don't realise it can be a tool like any other in growing their business and bringing more people to it

Oh well, as long as they get dollarz from Pay Per View they won't care, they like that whole "right crowd and no crowding" philosophy eh?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:34 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Silly isn't it, case in point via Nascar's own channel I've watched full races as live for the first time, and they still get the ad revenue from it. Ditto indycar for first time since CART really. It can get viewers in who previously couldn't. Instead it's gone the opposite way and shut more people out or you have to pay significantly more further moving away from potential new fans.

Sent from my GT-I8200N using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ive been thinking about Verstappen Kimi situation from Spa. And i found the answer.
If the front guy can make one move then ok.
We had a situation where Rosberg overtakes Klien by tricking him. Great move.
Or the the pass from Ricciardo on Vettel Monza 2014. This is how you can overtake Max. You trick him out.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3010 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1113 114 115 116 117151 Next