TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There's some talk there going to change the track for next year, Bernie just said something about wanting longer straights.

I'd rather they not change anything as its a track i've really come to like.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:03 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Why? It might not rank as one of my favourite tracks on the calendar, but at least it's something different and has tended to give us decent races in recent years. We don't need 20 identical circuits on the calendar.

Also, some cars are better suited to high downforce circuits. Some go well on the low downforce circuits. Ferrari and Red Bull genuinely had good race pace today. Or do we want every circuit to be the same so that one team can dominate every race? We need more diversity between the circuits. Not more of exactly the same thing. It's bad enough that all the new circuits are the same. Don't make the classics the same.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just got around to watching the race. What an exciting mess. The first time Mercedes have been beaten outright on pace since the start of 2014. Vetted was sublime, Raikkonen deserved 2nd, Hamilton seemed all over the place and Rosberg was just plains slow until the SC. The top 5 places were fascinating and amazing results for each.

The stewards were kept busy, at least 3 penalties for Maldonado lol but I don't get why Lewis' incident with Ricciardo resulted in a drive-through. That outcome seemed overkill considering it was a minor mistake of Lewis' which didn't cause any issue to Daniel's race. 5-10 time penalty would have been more appropriate.

The right man and team one today and considering the timing and circumstance, I have never been happier to see Vettel win. ForzaJules.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:05 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why on earth wasn't Pastor given the black flag and excluded from the race on his 3rd penalty?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

webbsy wrote:
Well that turned out to be a cracker of a race. I find it interesting that this track which once was considered to be the absolute worst and to be burnt with hell fire has produced a couple of awesome races in recent years. And the fact that drivers used to hate it and now it is loved?

Well, that says more about the new tracks on the calendar which are all dull with 90 degree corners. A not so great old skool circuit suddenly doesn't seem so bad anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
webbsy wrote:
Well that turned out to be a cracker of a race. I find it interesting that this track which once was considered to be the absolute worst and to be burnt with hell fire has produced a couple of awesome races in recent years. And the fact that drivers used to hate it and now it is loved?

Well, that says more about the new tracks on the calendar which are all dull with 90 degree corners. A not so great old skool circuit suddenly doesn't seem so bad anymore.

but in this season the new tracks still have to come. Of the races we already had this season, Bahrain and China are the most recent (2004). I don't count Austria as new. So these are all "established" tracks on which we've had great races and yet this year they were terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:18 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Dat race. :8:

An entire world championship worth of drama in under 2 hrs.
Can't believe at one point we had rosberg likely to lead the world championship then one bit of clumsy repassing meant Lewis, after everything that happened to him, partly how slow Mercedes are on cold tyres, mostly his own doing, actually managed to extend his championship lead.
Bizarre

Still Lewis still managed to pull off one of the passes of the season around the outside of perez, think that'll probably get lost in all his drama but that for me was one of the best passes here in Hungary ever.

Well done vettel and big shame for Kimi.

And you know it's a crazy race when even mclaren's story is different to the expected.
They finished. They scored points. Both of them :ohmy:

2015 will have to go some to beat that. 10/10

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Omega wrote:
cookie wrote:
webbsy wrote:

but in this season the new tracks still have to come. Of the races we already had this season, Bahrain and China are the most recent (2004). I don't count Austria as new. So these are all "established" tracks on which we've had great races and yet this year they were terrible.

Read Webbsy's comment first ;) My reply is about why the drivers love this track now compared to hating it a few years ago. I was not talking about the races we've had this season and if they sucked or not.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
the track also completed its 30th straight race, it could be considered already a tradition

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:49 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

What a great race, stunning drive from Vettel and Alonso, proving once again they are the best drivers.
Hamilton and Ricciardo were the best fighters, but they couldn't deliver at the end. Nice race for Kvyat and Verstappen, too :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:50 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Friggin Rosberg.. he is a choking machine.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:20 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

webbsy wrote:
Why on earth wasn't Pastor given the black flag and excluded from the race on his 3rd penalty?

Good question!

Unbelievable, that man won a Grand Prix. Against Alonso in Spain. How?!?!?! :?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Pastor was also given two penalty points and is now half way to a race ban. In addition to Pastor, Grosjean, Kvyat and Hamilton were given two penalty points each. I'm not sure what was going on in the stewards room today as they were very penalty happy. And the penalties were also on the harsh side. But finally, why give on track penalties and then penalty points? It all seems overkill.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:50 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

What's got into this track the last couple of years? I can't call it the Hungarboring any more. Great race.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:07 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

kals wrote:
Pastor was also given two penalty points and is now half way to a race ban. In addition to Pastor, Grosjean, Kvyat and Hamilton were given two penalty points each. I'm not sure what was going on in the stewards room today as they were very penalty happy. And the penalties were also on the harsh side. But finally, why give on track penalties and then penalty points? It all seems overkill.

Alex Wurz said on the Austrian TV that the stewards this weekend are known for being very strict, and everyone knew that before hand. So he was surprised that the drivers still raced so extrem, knowing that there were such anal guys just waiting to bash out penalties.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think penalty point system is good but how they give them is something I don't understand.

Of five drivers who recieved them today, I can well understand three: Maldonado, Hamilton and Verstappen.

Grosjean got two for which was seemingly team error. Two points for Kvyat is also very harsh. One could have been understandable.

Penalty points at the moment (drivers will lose those in brackets before the end of the season)
Grosjean 6 (12.10/2)
Maldonado 6 (2.11/1)
Ericsson 5 (6.9/3)
Verstappen 5
Perez 4 (2.11/2)
Vettel 3
Hülkenberg 2
Button 2
Merhi 2
Hamilton 2
Kvyat 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hamilton arguably didn't deserve a drive through. It was a minor error (understeer...) which he ultimately paid for with a broken front wing and lots of lost time. It was 5-10 second penalty most. He certainly then didn't deserve penalty points on top. Kvyat and Grosjean also didn't deserve points.

This was the most action packed yet penalty prevalent GP I've witnessed in a very long time. Sometimes stewards need to let things go. And yet they contradicted themselves with the way they dealt with the Ricciardo and Rosberg incident.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Hamilton arguably didn't deserve a drive through. It was a minor error (understeer...) which he ultimately paid for with a broken front wing and lots of lost time. It was 5-10 second penalty most. He certainly then didn't deserve penalty points on top. Kvyat and Grosjean also didn't deserve points.

This was the most action packed yet penalty prevalent GP I've witnessed in a very long time. Sometimes stewards need to let things go. And yet they contradicted themselves with the way they dealt with the Ricciardo and Rosberg incident.

Your analysis is correct for the first incident, but is it surprising when you consider how penalties were handed in the last years? They don't consider the outcome of the crash to take a decision. We've seen them do this before, hand penalties to the driver "at fault" even if he's the only one to get damage. That's the new philosophy. I still don't agree with it, but it was logical, in both incidents (Ham and Mal) they penalized the driver who didn't follow his line, went out of shape and speared into the other.

As for Ricciardo/Rosberg... It seems slightly different. The drivers weren't really side by side. They both took the corner in a perfect way, without going out of shape, but that put them on very different trajectories that made it difficult to assess where their cars were in relation to each other. It's an amazing call IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:49 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Hungaroring best track on the calender.

Also, the first part of the race showed how important it is to be in front, whether it's Ferrari or Mercedes.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 520 posts ]  Go to page Previous 122 23 24 25 26