TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 7:55 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous 126 27 28 29 3035 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:39 am 

I feel like 1980's plate races spread out due to the nature of the competition and the more primitive tires and the like at the time. I think it'd be very hard to prevent pack racing from forming unless you did a lot to the aero package as well to keep them from being able to run that way. I don't know how feasible that is.

If they can run flat out all the way around I don't see why pack racing wouldn't develop and I assume that they still would be able to do that even without plates (don't they not use plates anymore anyway? some kind of fuel injection system?)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:59 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

cArmAkAze wrote:
The argument could be made it was a top 5 Nascar crash where all the drivers walked away, that is debatable, but including the loss of human life? Are you fucking kidding me?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Philthy82 wrote:
This begs the question, what have restrictor plates achieved? They were introduced to stop cars going into the catchfence or the stands, but I'm pretty sure there has been a much higher propensity for cars to hit the fence since their introduction than there was before.

I was thinking the same thing.

But then, I was re-watching the '85 Firecracker yesterday, and they were running a restrictor plate on those cars.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:
This begs the question, what have restrictor plates achieved? They were introduced to stop cars going into the catchfence or the stands, but I'm pretty sure there has been a much higher propensity for cars to hit the fence since their introduction than there was before.

It's honestly damned if you do or don't run them in my opinion.

the ost wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:

I was thinking the same thing.

But then, I was re-watching the '85 Firecracker yesterday, and they were running a restrictor plate on those cars.

Thought they didn't run them until 1988 as a result of Bobby Allison's crash at Talladega the year before?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:45 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

They started running restrictor plates in the early 70's when they were still running big blocks, I thought they got rid of them altogether after small blocks were implemented? Or was there something special about the '85 Firecracker 400?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

the ost wrote:
cArmAkAze wrote:
The argument could be made it was a top 5 Nascar crash where all the drivers walked away, that is debatable, but including the loss of human life? Are you fucking kidding me?

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Or masturbate in the daytime

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:10 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Get rid of the splitter, chop the rear spoiler down to 1 inch with no minimum angle rule and then tell them to have fun.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:14 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Remember years and years ago when Jack Roush suggested cutting down the banking at the plate tracks to force the drivers to let off in the turns? lol what a dipshit

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

dicksplaash wrote:
They started running restrictor plates in the early 70's when they were still running big blocks, I thought they got rid of them altogether after small blocks were implemented? Or was there something special about the '85 Firecracker 400?

I was talking just about the small block engines on my end, didn't they run the plates between 70 to 74 on the big blocks before they phased them out?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm going to assume some of the asinine comments in here are due to the very late ending of the race and the resulting sleep deprivation. I'm working on 2 hours of sleep myself so I feel the pain of fellow TBK members.

My first thought upon seeing the wreck last night was very bad indeed because I thought the car disintegrated when it hit the fence. My second thought after seeing the replay was that if that car had gone in roof first this is a very different story.

I thought the race was pretty good actually. The aero package they have for the plate tracks at the moment is decent. Jr's car was unbeatable so whatchya gonna do?

The catch fence did it's job. The car and all the major components stayed within the track (even back in Larson's crash, the engine was stopped by a post.) I don't believe I've ever seen a wreck quite like that. NASCAR once again is very lucky this morning. How long until the law of averages catches up?

These cars without a plate, while I would love to see it, can't happen unless you move all the face into the upper deck. The restrictor plates aren't so much to keep the cars out of the fence, they were to slow them down to keep them from going over and/or through the fence, which Allison damn near did. Look closely at Dillon's crash. Most of the cables held, but it snapped a few of them. I know technology has advanced, but I still liked the older catch fence design of double reinforcing posts closer together. Perhaps they can add support poled inbetween the main posts like Indianapolis has.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Haven't watched the DVR yet, but we really are lucky no one has gone full roof first into the fence yet. Hit it in just about every other way possible.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dr dog wrote:
Haven't watched the DVR yet, but we really are lucky no one has gone full roof first into the fence yet. Hit it in just about every other way possible.

Russell Phillips would disagree with you.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I think they should just add a second fence a few feet or so behind just for the grandstands atleast. It's a Le Mans 1955 waiting to happen again otherwise. Just add a second fence which will essentially just pick up the scraps after the primary does its job of absorbing the brunt.

As for changes to the cars, forget about it. This is exactly the product NASCAR wants on these two tracks. They can easily take off the spoiler and then the plates so drivers would have to lift for the turns which will turn it into just another handling race but where would the fun be in that?

Last edited by SBan83 on Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:58 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow, some of the comments made here are fuckin ridiculous.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:00 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Edwards went in roof first.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

yikes, sorry about the "worse than all fatal wrecks" comment, I half asleep when I wrote that.

Also

Quote:
I think they should just add a second fence a few feet or so behind just for the grandstands atleast. It's a Le Mans 1955 waiting to happen again otherwise. Just add a second fence which will essentially just pick up the scraps after the primary does its job of absorbing the brunt.

That would block the view of most fans in the lower front rows.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Those seats already suck anyways. Personally I'd rather have a slightly more obstructed view than get hit in the face by 100 MPH shrapnel.

Once you're down that low you're basically paying $40 for the experience of having really loud cars scream by right next to you and being sandblasted. Maybe laugh at a few people losing their hats to the wind created by the pack.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

de31168 wrote:
Russell Phillips would disagree with you.

True but was mainly focusing on the big series. Plus wasn't it the light that did the damage to him and not the fence?

Chris A wrote:
Edwards went in roof first.

He kinda glanced corner to corner and the roof didn't really take the brunt of it.

I don't wanna get into a tit for tat argument about entry angles. My point is that it is entirely possible for the roof to be sheared off and we are lucky it hasn't happened in recent years.

I kind of agree with denny (!!) that for the fans, the only solution is to not sit there. For the drivers, the danger will never go away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

K_Sherman wrote:
Those seats already suck anyways. Personally I'd rather have a slightly more obstructed view than get hit in the face by 100 MPH shrapnel.

Once you're down that low you're basically paying $40 for the experience of having really loud cars scream by right next to you and being sandblasted. Maybe laugh at a few people losing their hats to the wind created by the pack.

When I went to the 500 in Feb, I spent $100 more per ticket than I wanted to just to be sure I would not get hit in the face with a race car. I was legitimately afraid of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:00 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I suggested this back around the Edwards accident, but why not have lexan glass panels in front of the front row similar to what they have at a hockey game, it would probably contain any debris that the catch fence doesn't hold while still not obstructing the view of the fans. Maybe even a combination of a safety screen over top like they use behind homeplate at baseball stadiums for the lower rows for any high flying pieces. Obviously it's not going to be fool proof, but it would probably cut down on injuries if done right.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That was the biggest crash I've seen in my life. The most spectacular flight combined with a huge impact. Then the car being hit when reaches the ground is just a 'extra'. Never seen a Nascar car fly that crazily before hitting anything, and while doing that going in the direction of the crowd. Then the impact, that was Geoff Bodine x10, he just was gently grinding the fence compared to that. Thank God for the Gen-6 car and safety improvements.

Biggest

crash

ever.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 682 posts ]  Go to page Previous 126 27 28 29 3035 Next