Gold Member

This will be the second F1 race I watch this season. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:08 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:25 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Did he even gave him the cap for first place? Never knew that.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looks like it will rain on Friday and - as usual - no single drop on the race day... :roll:

Anyway, having Austria returned was one of the best things to happen in otherwise messy sport. Red Bull Ring has THE most fantastic scenery of the calendar. I'd even rate Yas Marina better track if it'd be located here. Let's just hope the loss of spectators won't ruin the future of the GP. I'm sure Bernie would rather see GP in Thailand or Dubai than in Europe.

I have high expectations for Williams. Last year they dominated the qualifying, and for the sake of novelty I hope for other car than Mercedes taking the pole. When it comes to the race, I doubt there will be any surprises.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:37 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

I think spectators won't be an issue, they will all come from Germany if they're not going to Spa.

General Admin for Sunday only is sold out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:05 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

To stir up the interest, the Facebook page of the project Spielberg created a top ten list of reasons to visit the GP, but in the comments many fans gave them plenty of reasons why they won't come (back), many of them are the F1 itself with its focus on saving (tyres, fuel, engines, etc), the sound which disappointed many the year before (saying that GP2 was so much more impressive than F1), drivers that aren't heroes anymore, too much technology, and that F1 just isn't worth this kind of money anymore.

The GP is fabulously organized by Red Bull. The events around the race are great, they even created an app. You just have to visit their homepage to see how much love went into it. But the main product they are selling, F1, is disappointing to the fans on the track.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
looks like Red Bull interest in the sport will remain just with this GP in the future

funny that they didn't put their name on the race like they do on Laguna Seca MotoGP races

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1 in general is a waste of money when you compare the prices to other series. There was a time when I didn't mind paying, because it was F1 and it's the pinnacle of motor racing. I don't think I'd pay that kind of money now, though.

You can pay £20 - £30 for a ticket to a decent national series (British GT, BTCC). There will be more races on the day. You can walk the entire track and not be limited in where you can view from. You can access the paddock for free and see all the cars up close. The racing you see will be more entertaining. Or I could pay up to £300 (probably even more than that for the best grandstand at Spa or Monaco) to see 3 races on a Sunday with absolutely no access to the paddock/drivers/pit lane.

I would love to go and see a race in Austria. The surrounding area looks beautiful. But it needs to be affordable or F1 needs to give a hell of a lot more for the money people pay to see it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:04 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

I wonder if Rosberg will have the edge here this year after dominating last years' event.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Did he dominate? From what I remember Williams locked out the front row and lead a good portion of the race. That's hardly dominant.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:27 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

kals wrote:
Did he dominate? From what I remember Williams locked out the front row and lead a good portion of the race. That's hardly dominant.

Well, the outcome was never in question.

De Cesaris fan wrote:
F1 in general is a waste of money when you compare the prices to other series. There was a time when I didn't mind paying, because it was F1 and it's the pinnacle of motor racing. I don't think I'd pay that kind of money now, though.

You can pay £20 - £30 for a ticket to a decent national series (British GT, BTCC). There will be more races on the day. You can walk the entire track and not be limited in where you can view from. You can access the paddock for free and see all the cars up close. The racing you see will be more entertaining. Or I could pay up to £300 (probably even more than that for the best grandstand at Spa or Monaco) to see 3 races on a Sunday with absolutely no access to the paddock/drivers/pit lane.

I would love to go and see a race in Austria. The surrounding area looks beautiful. But it needs to be affordable or F1 needs to give a hell of a lot more for the money people pay to see it.

WEC is the series that has come the closest to challenging F1 as the "pinnacle of racing" since CART in the 90's. And the ticket prices? I'd say WEC is better bargain.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/events-ticke ... gring.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The cars were wild beasts, now....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:

Williams only locked up the front row because of I think at least 3 mistakes in total by the Mercedes drivers in Quali. They led the early laps of the race but were passed by at least Rosberg in the first pit stop round.

As for most races in 2014, Williams dominated the battle for 3rd behind the Mercedesseses.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:01 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dicksplaash wrote:
kals wrote:

Well, the outcome was never in question.

De Cesaris fan wrote:

WEC is the series that has come the closest to challenging F1 as the "pinnacle of racing" since CART in the 90's. And the ticket prices? I'd say WEC is better bargain.
http://www.nuerburgring.de/events-ticke ... gring.html

WEC is reminding (older) racing fans when F1 was a bit similar, like cars that are clearly looking different from each other, with different ideas and technologie, own tyre (make) choice, and on top of that teams that come up wit really strange ideas like the Nissan Nismo. A bit similar like when the Tyrrell P34 was presented, or the first Turbo engine. And you have the feeling these drivers are really 'working' in and with the car unlike the current F1 drivers.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:35 am 

I am already feeling for the fans I will see on TV on Sunday, paying hundreds of euros for a snoozefest.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:38 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I saw the Porto WTCC races in 2013 and the ticket prices for the whole weekend ranged from 25 to 65€ and 15€ was the cheapest for Sunday only.
But just on that weekend there were 9 different support series, from Fiat Uno's to the national GT championship, so it's pretty good value for money. Not to mention the historic GP the previous weekend, which had even cheaper tickets.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

About WEC: I know nothing about that series. I am all up for good racing, but does it provide direct battles and action?

Don't hate me for this, but even as a motorsports fan - not a true one some would say -, I have little appeal from Le Mans 24 and similar long format races. It can be thrilling depending on everyone's issues through the race, but what I want to see is hand-on, direct confrontation for position on track with little thinking involved from me as a spectator. I just cannot excitedly follow a race if a "close battle" is being one lap down from the car in front.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ Go and watch Silverstone or Spa WEC races this year. The lead was in question the entire event, the racing was wheel to wheel (at Silverstone especially) for the majority of the 6 hours and no one had a lap advantage on anyone. Silverstone was one of the best sports car races I've seen in a while... Especially for a long distance one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:56 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Tobias wrote:
I am already feeling for the fans I will see on TV on Sunday, paying hundreds of euros for a snoozefest.

Thats why i decided not to go, the track is just 200km from my house.
F1 aint what it used to be. Even when my man is winning..
It supposed to be loud and faster cars, but its the opposite.
When the lights go out straight away save fuel and tyres, meh... it supposed to be driving on the limit all the time.
Rules are so complicated that no tv viewer at home can understand them..
Sure i watch every race. But in the past i got a lot more for my 100euro ticket, today it aint worth that money.
Of 7 races we had this year only 1 was really great, the rest you could fall asleep.

So when F1 changes in 2017 hopefully what it was in 2004 or 2005 - the cars were the fastest and no TC please
then ill go to races..

Oh and of the 24h Le Mans that was last week i watched at least 7hours of the race and wasnt bored!