TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 2371 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's what I gather.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well.. no, they may change suspension and what not, but with so many different aero options and no oval track race experience with these kits, it seems like a big crapshoot to mandate that.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:09 pm 

Hank Hill wrote:
They arent lifting from being backwards alone..Though Helio's got light in the rear..its when they get knocked up by the wall and air hits the flat Dallara floor. Which is made worse this year by a little increase in speed and lift.

But on HCN's fllip, you could see that it was not the minor contact with the wall that sent the car that high. The rear, very clearly, got quite some lift(the aerodynamic force acting on it) to flip it like that

It seems it was the contact the triggered it all because it was only really backwards(in relation to the car's speed direction) when it touched the wall. They happened at the same time(getting backwards to the speed direction and the crash) so it may appear it was solely due to the contact with the wall, but it wasn't. The diffuser starts mid-floor in these cars, if it was like F1's, it would generate less downforce(and less lift when going backwards)

This potential has been there for years and this year's configuration only gave that little extra for it.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Who's doing the panicking? Is it the drivers? teams? or the organisers perceiving some massive problem that may potentially not be there.

The wind has been quiet high there judging by the flags this week, they were mostly pointing towards the flag stand while I was watching, anybody actually considered that might have contributed to it?

Let's look at this way... Everyone (and I mean within the organizing body) ignored all the warnings ahead of Las Vegas 2011 and we know what happened there. Here we have an unusual situation and people are on edge. Let them err on the side of caution. And here I am saying this, having suggested Codename was being unnecessarily paranoid earlier in the week. Yes Indy nee motorsport is dangerous. But better safe than Las Vegas 2011, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Aero kits have added nothing to the racing so far, they made the racing more boring. just go back to the standard kits.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
Who's doing the panicking? Is it the drivers? teams? or the organisers perceiving some massive problem that may potentially not be there.

The wind has been quiet high there judging by the flags this week, they were mostly pointing towards the flag stand while I was watching, anybody actually considered that might have contributed to it?

Let's look at this way... Everyone (and I mean within the organizing body) ignored all the warnings ahead of Las Vegas 2011 and we know what happened there. Here we have an unusual situation and people are on edge. Let them err on the side of caution. And here I am saying this, having suggested Codename was being unnecessarily paranoid earlier in the week. Yes Indy nee motorsport is dangerous. But better safe than Las Vegas 2011, right?

But that doesn't mean you need to do knee jerk reactions like locking in the aero configuration today, or forcing untested elements onto the teams with just 30 minutes for the drivers to work out how to drive them, the sensible thing to do is reduce the boost, limit them to race setups and continue as normal.

For example, say they lock them into the aero today, or force some other knee jerk quick fix onto them like fixed rear wing angle, 25 cars qualify, then the 26th guy driving a Honda spins in turn 1 and flies like a bird, what are they going to do then now it's established the magic fix hasn't actually worked, more changes?

As much as Vegas was a disaster, it wasn't caused by cars flying because the air got under them and they turned into low flying objects, they started flying because the wheels were exposed and cars rode up over the back of others, made worse by the sharp angle between the track and the apron, both issues which have been fixed and dare I say it, proven to have been good fixes. This is a different issue where the risk can be reduced by being sensible, Vegas wasn't as there was no way to stop the cars climbing over each other short of cancelling the event.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
Aero kits have added nothing to the racing so far, they made the racing more boring. just go back to the standard kits.

Maybe they could have done it a month go, but not 2 hours before qualifying for the race.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:27 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Make them run the Gen6 body. I want to see the safest Indy 500 ever.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'm just now getting caught up on what happened today. What a shitshow. Amateur hour at its finest. IndyCar is a great and terrible series at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And put narwhals commercial

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nope, that's just going to far there now Mr.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:42 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

well, some good news. Atleast

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 5:55 pm 
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod
Power-Hungry Shithead Mod

So why didn't they test these kits beforehand? This shit could have been avoided if they tested in January or something.

They also need to find a way to have at least one oval race before the 500. This is an utter clusterfuck.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:04 pm 

I am bummed about the qualifying regs. I was looking forward to seeing really high-speed runs.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not the best quality but here's a stream:
http://www.olweb.me/abc-tv

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nascar watching this unfold:

cookie wrote:

Alabama GP was great. NOLA was a farce because of the constant yellows and the others were races on tight street tracks where overtaking has always been very difficult, anyway. I'm in favour of the non-oval(the oval one I barely seen) kit. Cars are fast and still can follow closely. Imho, in such moments, it's important to not have knee jerk reactions.

The "normal" kit doesn't need any fix or ditching because of what has happened this last week.
Joe A wrote:
So why didn't they test these kits beforehand? This shit could have been avoided if they tested in January or something.

They also need to find a way to have at least one oval race before the 500. This is an utter clusterfuck.

Now this is talking sense :yes:

The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Now, let's hope that the final practice sessions and qualifying goes well. Like Ian-S pointed out, another flip, maybe for a Honda might jeopardize everything.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Things usually happen in three's.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 6:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This is where the old month long schedule would have been a benefit, More time to test & come up with solutions. Providing the problems became apparent in the 1st week obviously.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1417 posts ]  Go to page Previous 119 20 21 22 2371 Next