TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1831 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 592 Next
 Post subject: Re: Speedweeks 2015
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
When did fanschoice.tv start becoming official anyway?

Still its always this time of year that reminds me I miss iroc. And goody's dash.
but mainly iroc.

I miss IROC too. I got to go to the race they had on the Daytona road course at night in 2006. It was awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Speedweeks doesn't really need to be Speed"weeks" anymore. They cut down severely on the number of cup, truck, and xfinity practice sessions. They no longer hold 2nd or 3rd round qualifying for any series. Qualifying itself (aside from the 500) is shortened to an hour of drafting. The Goody's Dash Series and IROC races, practice, and qualifying are gone. Start the show on Wednesday with ARCA and Truck practice, an early morning cup practice, and evening qualifying. Run ARCA and Truck qualifying on thursday leading up to the duels. Xfinity practice, bud shootout practice, ARCA and trucks Friday night. Saturday morning nationwide quals, 500 happy hour, nationwide race, Bud shootout saturday night. Sunday is the 500. Give the fans their moneys worth per ticket, and give the teams a week more of the offseason.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah definitely should just call it Speedweek or what not. There's such a lapse of time between the Rolex 24 and any practice for ARCA/Trucks/Xfinity/Cup. When I was a kid I used to love "Speedweeks" for the fact of all the coverage ESPN would have. Now there's not much to it. Poor kids get screwed. They can't even stay home "sick" from school to watch the duels like I used to!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:48 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hate Nascar so much....so happy it's back. :flag:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:18 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
Yeah definitely should just call it Speedweek or what not. There's such a lapse of time between the Rolex 24 and any practice for ARCA/Trucks/Xfinity/Cup. When I was a kid I used to love "Speedweeks" for the fact of all the coverage ESPN would have. Now there's not much to it. Poor kids get screwed. They can't even stay home "sick" from school to watch the duels like I used to!

I remember in 2000 we had a HUGE snow storm in upstate NY and we got out of school at lunch time. I got back to my house just after Bodines truck crash and wondered what the hell happened. Got to see the rest of that race. I also remember skipping more than one class at College to watch the Twin 125's live. I forget the year, maybe 99, but I finally got my parents VCR to work right and taped the Goody's Dash demolition derby with three red flags and a half dozen upside down cars (OK, so maybe it was 3 flips).

IROC, Dash, Trucks, Busch, Cup, ARCA... That's a Speedweeks. What we have now isn't really anything more than you can get at a regular tour race triple header.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:45 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Location: Miles from civilizaton or any decent racetrack Minnesota USA
i noticed the K&N series isnt doing their race on the makeshift oval on the backstretch this year thought that was kinda cool

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:05 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I really wish NASCAR would try and add more to Speedweeks somehow like it used to be. Hell if they could do a race on the infield road course like they did with IROC in 2006 or back in the 70's with the Modifieds & Grand American cars. One other thing I don't like completely is every race but for the Daytona 500/Xfinity Series is at night. I understand why they did it but still.

Ian-S wrote:
I thought NASCAR had always owned fanschoice.tv

It's actually owned by NASCAR, IMSA and Daytona Motorsports Group (promoters of AMA Flat Track, former promoters of AMA Pro Road Racing). They are just working with SPEED51 to do the coverage at New Smyrna for this year. NASCAR normally works with SPEED51 for live radio broadcasts and live updates for some Touring (i.e. Mods, K&N) Series races.

IM Blotto wrote:
i noticed the K&N series isnt doing their race on the makeshift oval on the backstretch this year thought that was kinda cool

NASCAR/DIS canceled the race because of construction from what I heard. Racing was a little bit better on the smaller track in 2014 compared to 2013 but either way I never really liked the makeshift track as far as for K&N and Modifieds. If anything, the main thing lost is the media attention that the NWMT/NWSMT & K&N East got because they were running Daytona. Honestly I wish they would make the K&N night at NSS into the Battle at the Beach and have a big purse/non points Modified race, as the Tour Mods already run for 7 or 8 nights of the 13 at NSS during Speedweeks so the teams wouldn't have to change the setup for a 1/2 mile banked track compared to a 3/8 to 4/10 mile version of Charlotte's quarter mile oval

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 3:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Should've just had the K&N series run the damn road course. Maybe even a shortened version of it. Idk, just something damn it.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ChrisTRD wrote:
Should've just had the K&N series run the damn road course. Maybe even a shortened version of it. Idk, just something damn it.

Turn right instead of left at the exit of the infield rc and enter turn 1 from the other side. Has that ever been done?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

SB83 wrote:
ChrisTRD wrote:

Turn right instead of left at the exit of the infield rc and enter turn 1 from the other side. Has that ever been done?

I don't think it has. I know they had that shorter course when they tested Indycars there. I think that went from the infield straight to the backstretch... I think... I'm not totally sure.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ Yes, that's the modified version they used for the Daytona 200 when the bikes started getting too sketchy on the banking (tire issues.) Hasn't been used in a 4 or 5 years though. It turned right at the kink then went through the west horse shoe the opposite way and led out onto the back straight bypassing NASCAR 1 and 2.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They have a smaller infield only course at Daytona but I think there would be issues running it during Speedweeks as I believe they used part of it for parking or camping or something like that. I wish they would run the full road course during Speedweeks like how they used to back in the day.

(there used to be a actual race broadcast video from sometime in the 70's, the only thing I remember is that Car & Track did it and was re-run on Speedvision)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Put the K&N cars on this layout.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Look. At. This. Crowd.

For the Duels…

What a difference 14 years makes. :(

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 10:20 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

zippy wrote:

Look. At. This. Crowd.

For the Duels…

What a difference 14 years makes. :(

TBF wouldn't they have had a full day of qualifying/practice and also perhaps an IROC/Goody's Dash/Both race to make it worth their while?

But yes, Twin 125s were better then than now, as was everything else, ever.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:41 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Fuck, 2001 was just so good. Even Dale's death doesn't totally buzzkill the season. The magic at Atlanta, and Daytona was amazing medicine. The competition was fierce. There were over 40 drivers with at least one top 10 in the year. With all the Hendrick/Gibbs powerhouse teams of today, that'll never happen again. Same 25 guys getting top 10's all year. No wonder this shit is so boring now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:27 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Not to mention the lack of debris cautions. And there was even a caution free race at Talladega, won brilliantly by the late Bobby Hamilton.

There hasn't been a caution free race since Brian France took over. Co-incidence?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That was the best super speedway rules package ever.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:43 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Agreed.

So the ARCA entry list has a few intresting names. Your regular amount of big names, plenty of "wait, who??" and a couple new ladies. (of course driving junk equipment :slaphead: )

Cassie Gannis

Sarah Cornett-Ching (Jesus, she looks 15 :o )

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Man the safety crews who get to cut them out of their mangled racecars are some lucky men!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1831 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 592 Next