TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1122 123 124 125 126207 Next
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 10:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Irony is lost on Alain

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 12:45 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

"Alain Prost has posted anti social media views"

"Bernie Ecclestone likes this"

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 3:00 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
siggy wrote:
StefMeister wrote:

Actually, it's the first time he makes kinda sense for me. Historically, customer cars have been a big part of F1 and F1 is one of the rarest racing series, if not the only one, who has not some form of customer cars. Although Haas will pretty much have a customer Ferrari for the most part in my opinion, I would like to see customer cars if it would lower the financial bar for a new team to enter. It's pointless if we go the big manufacturer way again. If the economy goes, they go. People with passion stay.
The problem I have with it is that he seems to be suggesting that the 2nd half of the grid become a spec 2nd tier with everyone running the same chassis/engine.

If it were teams allowed to buy a year old car from whoever has them available with whatever engine they wanted to run I'd have less of a problem but in general still not be fond of the idea.

For me there is also the question of fairness to constructor teams. The current grid (And Haas) have all spent money on facilities & staff to design & build there own car. If a new team could just turn up, Buy a car & potentially out-perform them then its going to put some of the constructor teams into further financial problems if there falling further down the grid.

I also don't like how there pushing things like this which don't solve anything because the financial distribution is still going to be broken. If they actually stopped trying to stick band aids onto whats wrong with F1 & actually did something to fix it then we would have a healthy grid of teams that could compete using there own cars without half of them constantly feeling the financial strains.

The solution is so obvious that everyone can see it apart from those swimming in there vaults of gold like Scrooge McDuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPX5mRSQ3pw&hd=1

This is how I feel situation should be if they are going to introduce customer cars. Let teams buy whatever base chasis they can, and then do what ever the hell they want with them.

So the way that I read Bernie's comments is that if teams do buy a customer car then they will not be eligible for constructors points, thus not eligible for the money they receive from the constructors standings? Their only source of income would be from sponsorship then? Meaning the top teams get even more money and creates an even bigger disparity between the teams?

The only way I can see that working is if they start paying out prize money for each position, separately from the constructors prize money.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:25 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

In that case it shouldn't be a constructors championship but a team championship. Otherwise you could have the ridiculous, although kinda fun, situation which happened in the DTM that all the fellow marksmen holding back or even blocking competitors just for 'their' guy to win.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:12 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

http://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/129 ... experience

predictable that massa is complaining about others again

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 12:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nearly three years on and investigators have ruled out taking action against any parties involved in Maria de Villota's accident

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119175

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 12:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

For once, I think JV has got this spot on - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119183

Quote:
We have a tonne more overtaking than we have ever had, but people are more bored than they ever were.

Quote:
When asked what he considered to be a "special Formula 1", the 11-­time F1 race winner replied: "What is special is a car that no-one can drive.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Are we bored? I've been watching every F1 GP exactly since Jacques' first GP (1996 season) and I've never had more of a blast as a viewer than after refuelling was banned.

I also don't care if F1 cars are easy to drive or less extreme than they used to be. They certainly look more lively and entertaining now than during the V10 era, where the cars seemed to be stuck on rails until they brutally went off the limit.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
why don't he gather efforts with Craig Pollock to creat his ideal racing series...

that people will get bored because he would be the only driver

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 5:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
Are we bored? I've been watching every F1 GP exactly since Jacques' first GP (1996 season) and I've never had more of a blast as a viewer than after refuelling was banned.

I also don't care if F1 cars are easy to drive or less extreme than they used to be. They certainly look more lively and entertaining now than during the V10 era, where the cars seemed to be stuck on rails until they brutally went off the limit.

You've hit the point on the head. A few of us are not bored. But there is a large majority that continue to complain about how F1 and races are to them (tyre degradation, DRS, strategy, engine noise, domination by one team, etc...). To me F1 is a mess behind the scenes and only needs a few tweaks to make it a better sport. Just look back in the 2015 race threads and you can see the consistent complaints of boredom. People want change, they get given change, they are unhappy with change and want new change.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 6:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All I'd like to see are cars that can follow each other in the corners, so there is no longer a need for DRS. A more cost effective formula and evenly distributed money so that more teams can enter and be semi competitive (and give rides to talented up and coming drivers rather than those who bring money). Circuits that aren't butchered so that there are still some challenging and exciting corners left in F1. Maybe even the chance to retire from mistakes (seeing as reliability is so good). Grass/gravel also puts an end to the track limits nonsense. And please give us some variety at new circuits. Why do they have to be so wide? Why do they all have to be medium speed? Why do they all need a super long straight that leads into a slow corner? When was the last time you saw a corner on a new F1 circuit and thought 'wow?' Turn 8 at Turkey? Even that had so much run off that there was no fear factor or huge excitement about it. Look at the Parabolica at Monza. That little strip of gravel made such a difference when you watched the cars on the limit. Now it just sucks all the challenge away.

The cars and the sound? Honestly doesn't bother me. I don't mind how they sound. I don't like how they look, but I don't care if it races well. I still think the DW12 is ugly but I love the racing it gives us, so I don't care.

Domination from one team? It happens and doesn't last forever. If the drivers are allowed to race and there's good racing behind, it's not so bad.

For me, there isn't masses wrong with F1, but the things that do annoy me are never going to be changed. That's my frustration. Also bringing back refuelling. Things like that. It just makes no sense. Did anyone ever enjoy refuelling?

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:38 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
coldtyre wrote:

You've hit the point on the head. A few of us are not bored. But there is a large majority that continue to complain about how F1 and races are to them (tyre degradation, DRS, strategy, engine noise, domination by one team, etc...). To me F1 is a mess behind the scenes and only needs a few tweaks to make it a better sport. Just look back in the 2015 race threads and you can see the consistent complaints of boredom. People want change, they get given change, they are unhappy with change and want new change.

Indeed. The main problem with f1 atm is behind the scenes and the on track product only needs minor tweaking

F1 is reacting to this with no proposals to fix the underlying issues about management, finances and promotion and is proposing a shake up of the on track aspects alone.

Refueling has its fans and many detractors but will it's inclusion suddenly see a million extra viewers per market and a lot of sponsors rushing back to the sport? nope.

F1 is either performing the ultimate in distraction techniques in getting us all arguing over refuelling and running flat out vs conservation etc while distracting us to the main problem or it is now so fundamentally unaware of its own issues that it is doomed and it's time to get behind formula e as it will become the premier open wheel series by default.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Engine manufacturer's will be forced to move to 2 exhaust exits for next year in an effort to make the cars louder.
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-se ... es-in-2016

Quote:
The plan is to make it mandatory for there to be two tailpipe exits rather than the current single one.

It is believed that this solution will help deliver a better sound for the engine as it will prevent the muffling effect caused by the current turbo wastegate and single exhaust exit.

Sources suggest that one exhaust will be used for the wastegate, while the other will deliver sound straight from the engine to help deliver more sound.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And I bet that will make next to no difference whatsoever.

When will F1 wake up and stop answering questions that no-one has asked?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

During Sky F1's Monaco broadcast Martin Brundell said that Jean Todt only spends 10% of his time on F1. And there in lies the problem. When the president of the organisation only spends a tiny amount of time on the organisations premium product, at a critical time when it needs him there full time, is it any wonder F1 is in the state its in?

Agreed F1 just needs a few tweaks on track, but it looks like it is a shambles behind the scenes. And about the actual on track product. I would say that the actual racing in the last 3 - 4 years has been great through the field, but, but, there just seems to be a blandness to it. I can't quite put my finger on it or articulate it well, but even the exciting stuff just feels bland, when it shouldn't.

And the simplest way to get rid of the disparity of money is to payout prize money quarterly (this would require that each race position has a fixed monetary value) so teams have an income stream, and then pay an end of year bonus on the constructors standings. So teams still get rewarded for constructors position and smaller teams get actual cash coming through the door.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 3:44 am 

StefMeister wrote:
The solution is so obvious that everyone can see it apart from those swimming in there vaults of gold like Scrooge McDuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPX5mRSQ3pw&hd=1

Completely unrelated to the point you were making but this made me remember of this:
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 4:49 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Somebody has made a real effort to praise The Maldonator Pastor and his antics on track.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V9GtxYrMQcI.
:lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 6:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Next time someone asks me the meaning of ambivalence, I'll show them this video. I just cannot tell whether it's taking the piss, praising, or bashing.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The thing that I want to change is: bring back the decisions to the drivers. Now everything is controlled by the team boss, strategists and computers. Let the driver decide if he needs to push, if his tyres will last, if the gap is big enough for a pit stop, if he should pit under SC. This brings back room for errors, elements of surprise, unexpectancies. This is impossible now because every lap the pit wall starts calculating and telling the driver what to do. And that my friends, is boring.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 12:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree wholeheartedly. Put that meatbag inside the car back in charge.

The teams want to have everything simulated and under control as much as possible. I am sure they would love to just RC the car from the pits and call it a day to remove any risk of a human fuck-up (and all the hassle of paying and managing a human being).
Go ahead and do it, then see who will still watch that shit.

I read a wonderful article by Damon Hill on the May issue of F1 Racing (UK edition), I should scan it for you guys.
He says that drivers have the key to this issue, by drawing a parallel with astronauts at the beginning of the NASA space program. Those were considered merely like test subjects or guinea pigs, until they took their own destiny into their hands and demanded to have windows on spaceships and actual control over their destiny rather than be remotely driven by engineers.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1122 123 124 125 126207 Next