TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:46 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1108 109 110 111 112207 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
The Alabama GP had everything F1 lacks:

Oh boy, this should be interesting...

Artur Craft wrote:
fast good looking cars,

That are still a great deal slower than F1, and covered in the winglets we all hated in 2008...

Artur Craft wrote:
good looking scenery, great track layout

On a track that would be completely inappropriate for F1 cars...

Artur Craft wrote:
okay sounds

...and this is better!?

Artur Craft wrote:
and hard fierce racing.

...which has resulted in 700 cautions already this season because they can't avoid each other. Which artificially closes the pack up.

Artur Craft wrote:
The first 11 laps were just a procession with nothing happening

BETTER THAN F1

Artur Craft wrote:
but I wasn't bored because I still was delighted looking at how fast the cars were through that corners.

The cars that are several seconds a lap off F1 pace.

Artur Craft wrote:
From lap 12 onwards, it already started the great moves and, even better, the hard fierce battles which were no guarantee of overtaking. Passing was very hard there and relied mostly on the driver, rather than at any aids(P2P is way less effective than DRS

It doesn't need to be effective, because IndyCar simply told Dallara to build cars that could follow closely. Yes, this is also an artificial thing to spice up the show, if you think about it!

Artur Craft wrote:
and many moves weren't using it anyway

Please point me in the direction of any racing driver who would opt not to use P2P, and I will show you someone who is not a racing driver.

Artur Craft wrote:
The circuit, unlike F1's sanitizeds with their's long straights followed by dull slow corner and tarmaced run offs, is tast old school with elevation changes, grass/gravel off track and, most importantly, lots of fast sweeping corners.

Hold on, I thought you said it was tast because of the cars.

Artur Craft wrote:
Unlike the F1s, which have reduced downforce and are visibly slow now

And yet are still faster around a circuit than the DW12

Artur Craft wrote:
Indycars are even faster with these new aero kits, corners very fast and still follow closely

And yet are still slower around a circuit than most of the F1 grid. Probably even McLaren.

Artur Craft wrote:
That's where that series has a huge advantage over F1. They have way more downforce now but they still can follow much closer than F1 and that will lead to the much better racing provided.

Because they use a single chassis which was designed specifically to allow this.

Artur Craft wrote:
For all the approval the post 2010 F1 era gets, with it's spiced up races, Bernie's series never produced racing as awesome as those provided by the Alabama GP, or the 6 h of Silverstone, in this 2011-2014 period, again imho. And to find similar stuff on F1(on dry track), I'm afraid we would have to dig into the early 90's or 80's footage.

But in the late 80s and early 90s, passing on track was virtually non-existent. This is why driver aids were banned and refuelling was introduced.

Artur Craft wrote:
You guys aknowledge F1 isn't perfect but Charlie Whiting doesn't. He's one of the guys responsible for me complaining about F1. JJ badmouths him a lot but that's because of his extreme circumspection when it rains, but I'll do it for another reason: he already said F1 racing is perfect and that DRS and the tyre policy are here to stay and they are not even considering anything else.

What does Charlie Whiting have to do with it? He is the race director and technical delegate. He enforces the rules; he does not write them.

Artur Craft wrote:
If they were looking for ways to make the racing harder and natural, but still possible, unlike in the 2000s, then I wouldn't be complaining. But when I see WEC/Indycar showing it can be done, I wish F1, which was the pinnacle of racing once, could be looking into ways of getting there too instead of conforming with what they got. Unfortunately, that' not the case and the only positive thing I can say about F1 this year is that Mercedes and Lotus have designed some very good looking cars.

So, in conclusion:

- F1 is shit because the 'racing' is manufactured.
- IndyCar is awesome because, although the racing is manufactured due to the single chassis which was designed for close racing, it's ok because we can conveniently ignore that fact.
- IndyCar is awesome because the cars look faster than F1.
- F1 is shit because the cars are actually faster.
- IndyCar is awesome because the cars look good.
- F1 is shit but some of the cars look good.

I give up. Your argument is too convincing and your logic is bulletproof.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The point about the track is very true. The new F1 circuits and butchering of the old ones is one of the biggest problems I have with F1. I don't see how it can be the pinnacle of racing, yet have the most forgiving least challenging circuits in the world. Yes, getting around the circuit quickly is still a challenge, but mistakes barely even cost you.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:42 pm 

Is there any actual proof that a current Indycar really is slower than a F1 car. Lets be honest, between being faster and look faster is a difference. Any racecar will look faster on a small track with little runoff, then a racecar on a bahrain like track surrounded by miles of runoff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
The point about the track is very true. The new F1 circuits and butchering of the old ones is one of the biggest problems I have with F1. I don't see how it can be the pinnacle of racing, yet have the most forgiving least challenging circuits in the world. Yes, getting around the circuit quickly is still a challenge, but mistakes barely even cost you.

I still love F1 but this is the main turn-off for me at the moment. No matter the stakes and how close a battle is going to be, I just cannot get as excited on the less challenging tracks.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's possible to do a rough comparison, assuming Long Beach has remained the same since 2006:

2006 Champ Car pole: 1:06.886
2015 IndyCar pole: 1:06.7442

So, that gives us a reasonable comparison between those two cars. Why 2006? Because Champ Car raced at Montreal that year, so we can compare to F1, at least from last year:

2006 Champ Car pole: 1:20.005
2014 F1 pole: 1:14.874

It's a bit of a stretch of course, due to the completely different cars, but it does seem reasonable to assume that an IndyCar would still be off by the same margin if they have only just beaten the Long Beach track record.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:11 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Also, we mustn't forget the weight difference.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
It's possible to do a rough comparison, assuming Long Beach has remained the same since 2006:

2006 Champ Car pole: 1:06.886
2015 IndyCar pole: 1:06.7442

So, that gives us a reasonable comparison between those two cars. Why 2006? Because Champ Car raced at Montreal that year, so we can compare to F1, at least from last year:

2006 Champ Car pole: 1:20.005
2014 F1 pole: 1:14.874

It's a bit of a stretch of course, due to the completely different cars, but it does seem reasonable to assume that an IndyCar would still be off by the same margin if they have only just beaten the Long Beach track record.

For reference, the best time at the 2006 Canada GP was a 1:14.726. 1:15.841 in the race.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

On a big oval the Dallara would wipe the floor with the F1, but similarly on a road course, the F1 would beat the Indycar hands down, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses, and least we forget an F1 car would likely be picked up in buckets if it hit a concrete wall at 240mph.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hard to disagree with most of what he says:
http://en.f1i.com/magazine/10320-mark-w ... again.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:00 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

IndyCar has more HP and less drag. F1 has more downforce.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:41 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Mark Webber wrote:
. I think we could do with more racing with less overtaking and better quality across the board.

Mark Webber: FUCK OFF
Senna used to say if you don't go for a gap you're not a racing driver.
Well, if you don't respect overtaking, you're not much of a racing fan.

He's becoming worse that Villeneuve with his moaning about the current state of F1, mainly because he couldn't adapt to the way it was going to stormed off in a huff.

F1 isn't perfect but how about focusing on the stuff you like about the sport for a change instead of letting the negatives grind you down?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:13 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Actually...

Mark Webber wrote:
. I think we could do with more racing with less overtaking and better quality across the board.

+1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:06 am 

coldtyre wrote:
De Cesaris fan wrote:

I still love F1 but this is the main turn-off for me at the moment. No matter the stakes and how close a battle is going to be, I just cannot get as excited on the less challenging tracks.

I prefer tracks that aren't just a challenge, but are also possible to overtake on. Take for example Imola: It was a nice looking track and was decent track to drive but impossible to pass on (especially after 1995), so the racing was always bland.

Bahrain might be unpopular as a venue, but you can at least overtake there, so the racing isn't too bad.

Some of these newer tracks could be made better by planting a few thousand trees around them.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:54 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

codename_47 wrote:
Mark Webber wrote:

He's becoming worse that Villeneuve with his moaning about the current state of F1, mainly because he couldn't adapt to the way it was going to stormed off in a huff.

F1 isn't perfect but how about focusing on the stuff you like about the sport for a change instead of letting the negatives grind you down?

Webber's views are spot on I reckon. Sexy, fast and loud cutting edge cars. You are correct that his tyre management wasn't all that good in the Pirelli era. I feel that tyre management is an important skill set in F1.....to a degree. "I can't get any closer than 2 seconds to the car infront without destroying my tyres" is not tyre management. Its a lottery. I think that Pirelli have done a fantastic job with the parameters they have been made to work with, but it is time reasses those parameters.

And don't take his "less overtaking and more racing" as his lack of being a fan of the sport. In actuality, some of the ALMOST overtakes are more exciting than many actual overtakes. How often have we seen drivers after a race get out beaming from ear to ear after a humdinger of a battle in which there has been side by side racing, almost overtakes, a bit of wheel banging and hard but fair defending. THAT is the across the board quality that he is talking about. And I would take that over overtaking any day of the week. Cause when its pulled off it is awesome and deserved. And I think the modern iteration of DRS is actually getting us close to that.

And saying the sport needs to recapture that essence is not negative at all. People like some on this forum who say they don't watch the sport anymore and that its shit and not what it was like is being negative.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:58 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:

THIS!!! In the past I used to like watching practice sessions. It was exciting to just see the cars on their own racing around the circuit. These days I dont give a shit about practice sessions anymore, it just bores me watching F1 cars driving around circuits such as Shanghai. Only for tracks like Monaco, Monza or Suzuka I m still watching practice sessions.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:07 am 

StefMeister wrote:
Hard to disagree with most of what he says:
http://en.f1i.com/magazine/10320-mark-w ... again.html

As always he's spot on.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

They're not gaps anymore like they were in 1989 they're English Channels now.

In Senna's days you were risking life, death and most importantly your race, on a good overtaking move. These days, its as easy as pushing a button.

I think the main problem is F1 yearned for exciting racing, and went 10 degrees to far with it.

OK, we got it now, overtaking is easier now. Time to start slowly peeling the advantage back and making it hard again.

I brought this up a few months ago. Wider wings, more downforce, would produce more turbulence, making cars harder to follow in the corners, but with DRS now, an overtake is achievable

Mark is 100% spot on with what he said. Except about maybe entering a WEC into F1.

Don't know where you got your hatred from. You're a fucking moron for comparing Mark Webber to JV. They're about 100 IQ points apart.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

agree with Webber.
I remember in 2005 Alonso was barely standing on the podium in Malaysia and today a teenage kid can do the distance without any problem there.
F1 should be harder, faster. not easier slower

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
why not using token system for aerodynamics and leave engines free for development?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:02 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

alex1369 wrote:
agree with Webber.
I remember in 2005 Alonso was barely standing on the podium in Malaysia and today a teenage kid can do the distance without any problem there.
F1 should be harder, faster. not easier slower

Same for Justin Wilson in his Minardi at Malaysia I recall? Now we got a 16/17 year old driver and he looked very comfortable at Malaysia recently.

If that the case then we should keep Monaco as it is a challenge being a street circuit and it is one of the longest races on the calendar?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1108 109 110 111 112207 Next