TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28207 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Every time I read about the proposed 1000hp engines I expect, especially in official reports, the added "!!!!!1111oneoneoneone".

It's like more hp and loud engines magically make things great yet they threat it like its the holy grail.

I'm willing to bet 1 million dollars + my daughter and one of my kidneys that 50hp engines with proper aero package and other necessary things can make a more spectacular show than 1000hp loud cars that lack proper aero and lack other necassary things.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:51 pm 

StefMeister wrote:
I was reading this article which seems to suggest we could be getting wider tyres in the next few years:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/117368

Something about that which I find a bit odd is that they seem to be talking about wider tyres & more downforce?

If they were reducing downforce & introducing wider tyres to get more mechanical grip to compensate for the downforce reduction I'd get it as I can see that improving the racing.
But surely more downforce + wider tyres/more mechanical grip will make cars even harder to follow, Shorten braking distances further & increase cornering speeds which would probably have the opposite effect & make the racing worse or is my sleep deprived brain simply not working properly?

I'd rather the focus be put on the racing & not this 'wow factor' that seems to be the current thing which Bernie & co seem desperate to create. If you have wide tyres, 1000bhp, loud engines, Tons of downforce, Tons of speed/performance, lots of sparks etc... yet the racing is crap then all that added 'wow factor' is meaningless.

For all the whining & complaining about the new V6 turbo's, The quieter sounds & the finger noses a year ago I thought the actual racing in 2014 was great, Some of the best for a few seasons & even though Mercedes dominated they at least provided us with a genuinely interesting & exciting title fight which went down to the final race.

I'd much rather more seasons like 2014 with 'quiet' engine's & ugly noses than seasons with tons of 'spectacle' & 'wow factor' where the racing is garbage.

Well, I love this mentality:
Quote:
"I would love mentally to get above 400mm - because it sounds better.

"It is like if we have 1000bhp - that would also be great. I think there is an element of our sport that needs to get some big numbers back in there."

2014 was nothing more than fake and boring "racing" to me. I do care about racing but only if it happens naturally and out of sheer driving skill/talent. When you have devices/gimmicks to push for the "show", then it becomes meaningless to me.

The "wow factor" is very important to me, tbh, it's the reason I started following F1 in the first place. The cars being "untamable beasts" is a top priority to me.

With more or less downforce, the racing is ruined anyway. They will increase it because it will have no effect. The position changes we currently see will continue to happen as they rely on DRS/crappy tyres, rather than on drivers being able to use their skill to follow a car and pass it, while having a ground effect type of car allowing so.

I don't even mean full ground effect as the skirted and sculpted cars of 79-81. The original GP2 cars already achieved that with their bigger diffusers and simpler wings and produced great genuine racing.

I hope this all(wider tyres, more HP and downforce) happens so that, from 2017 onwards, my interest for F1 is back a bit.

I know I'm an expection on this forum and that pretty much everybody here are happy bunnies with F1, but there are quite a lot of people elsewhere who shares the same views as me. I will quote something I read not so long ago, just to give an idea, althought I don't agree with it:"The only people happy with current F1 are Lewis Hamilton fanboys".

However, F1 bosses don't care about the opinions of a few hardcore fans, neither those who are loving it or those who currenlty despises it. They are looking into new things because the tv audiences are falling, by alarming rates, everywhere. It's falling even in UK despite the media desperate attempt to create a huge and "epic"(so overused word these days, isn't it?) rivalry, SennaxProst like, between the favourite home boy and the "evil German"(as they all are typically portrayed to be, Hulk being one of the few exceptions)

PS: autosport is slow, 2 and half months late :p :
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=8511&p=815587#p815587

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Why not the aerofoil wings away completely? Wouldn't totally get rid of wings but would be somewhat characteristic of an engine freeze for aero if you lock them to their design

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I enjoyed F1 last season but I have the same opinion as you with DRS.

I thought it was originally a temporary measure until they came up with cars that could follow each other closely in the corners, but now we seem to be stuck with it. I know they announced ground effect cars a few years ago, but that plan has been scrapped since, hasn't it?

I would rather have DRS than another season like 2002 - 2006, but I'd also rather have cars that could race well without the need for DRS. Or, allow everybody to use DRS for say, 10 seconds each lap. Actually enable the defending car to have a chance, and encourage the attacking car to overtake in a less obvious place. Too often it's a simple drive by for the attacking car.

I am also interested in whether the boring forgiving new circuits have affected the ratings. For me, I personally want to see the cars on a circuit where it's possible for a driver to make a small mistake and be out of the race. That's dramatic. Think how exciting it was when Hamilton went off the circuit whilst leading at Spa in 2010. He barely made it through the gravel and just kissed the barrier. At the same corner in 2015, you will run wide and maybe lose a few tenths. How exciting...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Artur Craft wrote:
The "wow factor" is very important to me, tbh, it's the reason I started following F1 in the first place. The cars being "untamable beasts" is a top priority to me.

drivers would complain that "is not safe"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Incresing the aero may make the cars harder to overtake, thus making DRS not such and easy way to do it. So good racing, and faster "wow" cars.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gkmotorsport wrote:
I never really understood why they added the stadium bit to the Nürburgring - this sort of thing is normally done to bring a circuit up to 'F1' length, but it wasn't that short to begin with, was it?

they added it so the fans could see the cars longer iirc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:26 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Everyone's concept of "good racing" is in their heads based on their own individual standards. It's not something f1 can ever attain.

DRS gets such a hard time but it's just the latest in a long line of targets for how the sport is terrible and it needs to go back to how it was.
I've been watching some classic races on a stream (yep....found one! ;) ) and DRS gets the same flak traction control got 15 years ago (except it was justified with t.c. ;) ) or turbo engines got in the 80s or whatever the latest device was that fandom gathered around to berate .

Anyone who watches a race like Bahrain or hockenheim this year and tries to argue how it wasn't great racing I think need to asl themselves if f1 will ever be good enough for them.
Because after years of refuelling, traction control and aerodyamic based parades with tyres from a company who cared only about their reputation and wouldn't play the game to improve the show, running grooved tyres....well compared to that f1 2014 for all its faults, is bliss

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

stop talking sense.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:28 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Report me to Marv for a violation of forum rules then.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:10 am 

codename_47 wrote:
Anyone who watches a race like Bahrain or hockenheim this year and tries to argue how it wasn't great racing I think need to asl themselves if f1 will ever be good enough for them.
Because after years of refuelling, traction control and aerodyamic based parades with tyres from a company who cared only about their reputation and wouldn't play the game to improve the show, running grooved tyres....well compared to that f1 2014 for all its faults, is bliss

I disagree. I think there's a difference between "entertaining" and "great racing". The indy 500 is rarely a pass-fest, yet somehow I find myself perfectly entertained by it year after year. Tandem drafting produced record numbers of lead changes in NASCAR. On paper, that should be "great racing" but in reality, I found it boring. Part of the greatness of the forum is the fact we can all share our opinions, but to outright declare 1998-2006 as a complete waste of time is going a little but too far. I would consider most (not all) of the races this year to be dull. A pass here, a pass there. But pitstops are bizarre when they only last 1.3 seconds, and the whole two compound tire thing just doesn't work IMO. Also essentially two drivers out of many having a fighting chance. But I wouldn't say it's bad racing, just a bit contrived and lacking man-to-man competition like it had before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Wow Paul, impressive diatribe. Not just because it made total and utter sense, but because it didn't contain the words "Plato sucks" either.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Why is it people keep obsessing over "fake" F1, yet pretty much ignore all the artificiality in every other form of motorsport? Why is it I don't see people bitching in, for example, Indycar threads about push-to-pass overtakes or BTCC threads about reverse grid wins?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Push to pass isn't exactly the right example IMO. Everyone got the same amount of pushes during the race, when you use them is all down to the driver, nobody gets disadvantaged in that system.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:56 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's irrelevant as it is still an artificiality.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just hasn't been near as hit and miss as DRS. It is preferable though, does 'artificiality' really matter all that much?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:18 am 

codename_47 wrote:
Everyone's concept of "good racing" is in their heads based on their own individual standards. It's not something f1 can ever attain.

Yup. That's why I pointed out that they are looking into this "wow factor" because of the drop in tv spectators. They couldn't care less about what certain individuals think about the sport, they only look at the bigger amount of people that composes the whole tv viewers.

I don't fool myself into believing that the past of F1 was great and marvelous and only contained outstading races. I hope I'm not being unfair here but, let's say, from the 80's onwards(of which I watched most races), good races are closer to being the exception rather than the rule.

There were some fantastic battles in this DRS/Pirelli era(just to name two: Schumacher/Hamilton in Monza 2011, and Alonso/Vettel in Silverstone last year) and I don't think it's all bad. But I can't complain when they think about introducing what I would like to see in the sport such as wider tyres(not only for more grip but also because it looks much better) and more power. How can those hurt racing, anyway? It seems just a plus to me.

I don't think it would increase costs either as teams works to their budgets and if they wouldn't spend money into developing into these new features, they would apply the money elsewhere.

A downforce increase would likely make passing more difficult but I guess they will "fix" it with things like an increase in DRS lengh or allowing less shallower wings, which would make the DRS effect bigger.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:
It is preferable though, does 'artificiality' really matter all that much?

Depends in the context, for most it probably doesn't matter... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Artur Craft wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Yup. That's why I pointed out that they are looking into this "wow factor" because of the drop in tv spectators. They couldn't care less about what certain individuals think about the sport, they only look at the bigger amount of people that composes the whole tv viewers.

stop putting it behind a fucking paywall you twats....
Put it on open channels for prices they can afford so it's not watching 30 seconds of racing in between commercials and the rating will skyrocket again.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:25 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

But then teams won't get as much money :cry: :cry:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 4124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28207 Next