TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 10:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 168 69 70 71 7279 Next

Who will lead the Drivers Championship after the Japanese GP?
Poll ended at Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:53 am
Lewis HAMILTON 64%  64%  [ 21 ]
Nico ROSBERG 36%  36%  [ 12 ]
Total votes: 33
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:18 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jason wrote:
StanV wrote:
Jason wrote:
Does anybody else here hate seeing non-motorsport fans talk about accidents like this on facebook and twitter etc?

Does my nut in how wrong they get things and have very little common sense.

Or maybe its just me.

Yes, there's a whole 'discussion' on the Facebook page of our biggest sports outlet about "look at the marshal waving the green flag!"

I've seen loads of comments about the green flag, I gave up replying in the end.

Haha man, I just came back from RAIDING a french blog's comment page by copy-pasting my reply on the relevancy of that green flag to each and every one of the smartasses that kept pointing it out.

Even worse the fact FOM was "hiding" these images is seen as a CONSPIRACY!!111!!11 to protect the organisers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Where are all these assholes the rest of the year? Ah yes, too busy repeating how F1 sucks and is boring because nobody ever dies anymore (yes that's a real person from my real life, heard a couple months ago). Go tell that to the Bianchis now, bitch .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
Even the Guardian article that was billed as "5 things Formula 1 must change after the Bianchi crash" focused on things like the failure to move the start time and the fact the FIA don't demand the teams run the right tyres for conditions and only mentioned "F1 needing to look at its procedures regarding recovery vehicles too" as a 1 line afterthought.

In the aftermath of a serious incident such as this, everyone is a fully trained accident investigator :roll:

Apart from the last one, both those points make loads of sense.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
Even the Guardian article that was billed as "5 things Formula 1 must change after the Bianchi crash" focused on things like the failure to move the start time and the fact the FIA don't demand the teams run the right tyres for conditions and only mentioned "F1 needing to look at its procedures regarding recovery vehicles too" as a 1 line afterthought.

In the aftermath of a serious incident such as this, everyone is a fully trained accident investigator :roll:

*Looks at journalist who wrote this*

Ah, yep...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:

A few of those people were active yesterday here as well... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
Guardian article

Well, there's your first mistake.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
A few of those people were active yesterday here as well... ;)

They've got references, sir ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Just because we watch motorsport doesn't automatically mean our opinion is correct. We armchair experts can also be incredibly annoying and wrong for the same reasons why we despise these social media commentators. Me included.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:12 pm 

kals wrote:
Just because we watch motorsport doesn't automatically mean our opinion is correct. We armchair experts can also be incredibly annoying and wrong for the same reasons why we despise these social media commentators. Me included.

This.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:32 pm 

coldtyre wrote:
Where are all these assholes the rest of the year? Ah yes, too busy repeating how F1 sucks and is boring because nobody ever dies anymore (yes that's a real person from my real life, heard a couple months ago). Go tell that to the Bianchis now, bitch .

Just waiting for some of these jackasses to start campaigning "F1 should be banned"

Well if we're going to ban events based on number of fatalities then F1 is going to come a long long long long way down the list!

More people drop down dead playing football!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:34 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

kals wrote:

You're right, hell some of the ideas they come up with even make sense.

Still annoying though. :p

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:52 pm 
This place is Purile and Childish
This place is Purile and Childish

kals wrote:

I've been lurking the thread since the crash and I can confirm:
- top notch medical analysis ranging from "he'll recover just fine" to "his family are probably on their way to Japan to say goodbye to him"
- expert reasoning on the reasons of the crash
- CSI level investigation on how that pixelated excerpt from a video shows how he clearly hit the tractor head-on. Or was it the left front wheel? Is that his glove we see there, or part of the headrest? Or flesh from his mangled body?
- Blame given to pretty much anything and everything. Fingers pointed without proof or evidence. 100% overreaction. I wouldn't want some of the people here to be part of the jury at my trial.

I know that emotions are strong, and lack of information opens the door to speculation, but people need to take a step back and look at their attitude. If one of your relatives was in the same situation, would you like to have all the neighbours acting like this around you?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:02 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Just saw the video. Didn't expect that kind of impact. That was so huge !

coldtyre wrote:
Also, what car were they following in the onboard channel, for those who have it? Do you see anything there? I'm not trying to stir up the past, but this is haunting unfortunately.

We were onboard with Ericson & Kyvat.

And there was indeed a huge river at T5...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:27 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I'm not going to defend those who were particularly wildly speculating (perhaps including me) because some of it did go over the top, but in this particular case there has been a noticeable lack of information compared to other incidents, both in terms of the accident and Bianchi's condition, and ultimately on an internet forum like this you can't really expect that vacuum to not be filled by discussion of what happened or what is happening. I can't remember being anything quite like this before - we've either had footage of an accident or nothing at all with official explanations, as opposed to being given a little bit of footage and information but being left in the dark on the rest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a motorsport based, crash originated internet forum, of course people are going to speculate, considering some of the comments I've seen elsewhere, I'd say the speculation here (and the fastlane) has been overall reserved, respectful and mature.

What would you rather we do, chat or turn off the PC? Might as well shut down the forum if we're not allowed to speculate over stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:41 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

The only good situation at times like this is usually we stand together as a little family, offering support and sharing how shocked we are when the worst aspect of the sport comes around again to bite us.

If we're going to turn on each other, each trying to prove they're a better fan because they're better at not liking crashes/better at reacting to terrible incidents/made of stronger stuff then we really don't have any business having the word community in our name.

There's a reason the Dan Wheldon at Las Vegas thread is in the HoF and its not because anyone pretends that was a great moment for the sport. The community was as one at that moment.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:

I'll quote myself because my point has got a little lost. The original point was made in response to some complaining about those narrow minded individuals who turn into field experts every time something new happens in the world. But the thing is, we the members of TBK demonstrate on the forum that we sometimes behave the same way. We're all guilty of it one way or another, including me. So complaining about others doing it comes across as a little hypocritical.

Of course we're going to speculate, discuss, argue about the sport we love. That's why we're here. But that doesn't mean our opinion is right all the time and that because we're a motorsport community our points hold more merit than elsewhere.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:23 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

At least we're informed idiots as opposed to ill informed idiots who appear to be everywhere at times like these ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just seen the video....fucking hell, I knew the forces involved would have been huge, but to actually see it happen. Didn't they used to have the smaller recovery vehicles with the caterpillar tracks in Suzuka? One of those was capable of towing a F1 car (not lifting though) That could be another option instead of a large digger.

Now a sensible option would be for the FIA to actually mandate the exact kind of recovery vehicle to be used (seems each race has a slightly different variety) Then actually stump up the cash to transport said vehicles around each and every race track. I'm absolutely sure that they can come up with a bespoke recovery vehicle, hell if NASCAR can, I'm sure F1 can. They can even on sell the technology.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1575 posts ]  Go to page Previous 168 69 70 71 7279 Next