TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1122 Next
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There's enough mitigating circumstances to cast doubt that it was intentional (driver wearing all black, poorly lit track), the only thing going against Tony is his speed prior to arriving at the scene, compared to the other cars he is going faster, but I doubt you would ever be able to get a criminal conviction on that alone.

The family on the other hand, there's nothing stopping them from bringing a wrongful death lawsuit.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Definitely a tragedy, but I think it's a bit premature to judge Stewart for this or pronounce the end of his career. The video I saw had a very poor angle to judge how far up Stewart came, how far down Ward came and how much the results came from Stewart's actions or just the ridiculous danger implicit in having a guy walk along a live racetrack. An incident resulting in death deserves a real investigation of what happened before placing blame, but one thing that is clear is drivers trying to argue with moving cars needs to stop.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Welp

Quote:
Stewart will race at Watkins Glen: According to ESPN's Marty Smith, "Stewart-Haas Racing VP of Competition Greg Zipadelli confirms for me that Tony Stewart will race the #14 today at Watkins Glen."(8-10-2014)

Very interested to see how this goes. Fans are FLIPPING SHIT that he's racing, and I don't blame em. OK say this is totally blamed on Kevin, still doesnt change the fact hat Tony hit the gas under caution and lost control of his car. I personally feel it's completely tasteless for him to show up at Watkins Glen today, maybe even next week would be a little more acceptable, if he can muter up the gumption to race and NA$CAR doesn't say anything....can you imagine how weird/awkward it's going to be if he happens to win today??? 8O I bet dollars to donuts NASCAR is telling everyone not to bring it up today, and turn a usual blind ear, hey its $$ lost if Tony's gone right? Life doesn't mean much...forgot about that.

Last edited by Underdogfan on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:46 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Essential reading tbh

http://www.motorsport.com/sprint/news/yes-tony-stewart-did-run-over-a-fellow-driver-who-was-killed-but-know-the-whole-story/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This is a sad and crazy situation to wake up to on a Sunday morning. After watching the video I'm pretty stunned by the actions of both drivers. Cars are lethal projectiles... Don't approach one on a live race track and certainly don't use one to play chicken with.

This is a perfect storm type of situation that we've been talking about for many years. It is a sad and needless waste of life.

RIP Kevin, thoughts to family and friends.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:48 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I hope there's a last minute change and he's not going to race. Very bad taste to race less than 24 hours after a tragic and some what questionable accident.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:49 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Gutted :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

What about when Willy T. Ribbs ran over that marshal in an Indycar race sometimes in the early 90s? Were any charges brought against him?

Just going by the video, it looked like maybe Tony was trying to dart left to be on the safe side and the right-rear of his car swung out and got Kevin?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:54 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Tony Stewart is officially a fucking prick. You just killed someone and now youre going to race the next day?

And you know, you KNOW if it was ANYONE else besides mister badass 'Smoke' who did it, opinions would be MUCH different.

It's exactly that stupid fucking 'Dont mess with me' attitude that causes shit like this.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:55 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I woke up earlier and see the news. Man, i can't handle it. I just saw the video. I'm absolutely disgusted. Maybe it's too early to judge everyone in this thing, but it's really difficult after those images. I hope the whole thing wiil be clear after a few days.

RIP Kevin Ward Jr.

Motorsport Lover since 1988
First TBK member to post it with a wiimote

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tony, you shouldn't race the day after....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Someone on another forum I go to said that Revving the engine under yellow like tony did is actually a pretty common occurence for open wheel dirt racing. Combine that with the lack of vision Tony probably had on his right side and the poorly lit track/black driver unifo rm, it was a recepie for disaster. But I think it was accidentall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:00 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Wow i heard this from a friend and i couldnt believe it.
My prayers to the family with theirs loss.

This is just a sad accident wich was waiting to happen.
I hope from now on they fight it out elsewhere than on the track with the cars running by.
For a guy like tony who has raced so many races i cant believe he did this on purpose or something like that.

Here a interesting article
http://motorsportstalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... heir-jobs/

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not just the bad taste PR thing but I'm kind of surprised he is mentally able to race in the first place, "Smoke" or not. Almost like old times kind of indifference when deaths were almost a weekly occurence on top levels too.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Sounds like NASCAR is OK with the incident and Tony is clear to race today....wonder how much money that cost? Still have a dead 20 year old, hope the parents sue this shit out of him...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:16 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

just read the thread, RIP Kevin :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This whole thing is just... insane and awful. I do believe it was just some horrible accident and that there was nothing Tony did out of the oridinary (coming from a guy who believes Tony's just a bit too angry, at times), and that he is the one in the moving death machine - Kevin Ward made the decision to cut it that close to begin with.

I know it's not wise or kosher to speak ill of the dead, but really, it wasn't exactly a smart decision on his behalf, either.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Has Tony made any comments about the incident?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Not really sure how to feel. Never liked Stewart, for all his charitable donations, etc. I've seen first hand he be a prick of the highest level. His skills in a racecar are unquestioned.

Let me first say, this is in no way anything to do with Sprint Cars. So to think that it's because of the cars or that there will be far reaching impacts on Sprint Car racing, as some articles have mentioned, is preposterous. Rules covering on-track etiquette should be handed down across the board. While we might think they're common sense, in the heat of combat there is no common sense.

After watching the video, I'd have to say that both were at fault. The crash itself was a racing deal. Happens all the time. The tragic end of the situation, both Tony and Kevin share responsibility. Whether Tony pays for that by being incarcerated or his checkbook doesn't change the fact the other man paid for it with his life.

Purely for PR, I would park the 14 today. If I was a Sprint Car sanctioning body, or any other short track around, I would think long and hard about banning Tony from competing. It wasn't his fault entirely, and it's not fair, but the backlash from this will be severe and the sanctioning bodies need to think about the PR that would come from having him race knowing his past.

NASCAR might think about taking a page out of the NFL playbook and banning Tony until the conclusion of the investigation and any related criminal court proceedings. It didn't happen at a NASCAR event, but it sure as hell will be dominating the headlines in NASCAR land for a while and they need to put this to bed and get it away from their weekends right now.

He punched a reporter and got punished along with anger management. This was an accident and someone died. Punishment needs to be handed down.

Last edited by westracing01 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Has Tony made any comments about the incident?

No and he'd be stupid to say anything at this stage.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 430 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1122 Next