It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:51 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Is this a good idea?
Yes - I'd use it frequently 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
No - It's a waste of your time 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
Total votes: 16
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:26 pm 

Hi everyone,

I know that a lot of people on here are devoted watchers of motorsport (and capturers too, your efforts are magnificent by the way)...however people like me sometimes have other things going on and can't get to a TV to watch things live.

I end up Sky Plussing a lot of motorsport some weekends; a while ago I had BTCC, Nascar Nationwide and Sprint Cup and other smaller events recorded like the GP2 sprint race or something.

I want to sometimes know whether it's worth watching this WITHOUT running the risk of spoiling the result.

To avoid spoiling the results I avoid this forum and Faceache and social media in general, but sometimes I know I might be doing all of that in vain as I'm saving a race that's utter rubbish and not worth my while.

This is why I thought up a (presently crude) method of getting the kind of info I want to know before I sit down to watch a recorded race without having the result spoiled completely and comprehensively.

http://www.rantingyoof.me/category/worth-watching/

Please ignore the trial vote I've done. I've chosen this race because I know the result will be predictable before it's happened :lol:.

Please test it, go nuts, try to induce maximum derpage, break it, whatever, and let me know if it's a good idea or not. Don't be constructive, if you think it's a cack idea just go for it and let me know :).

If this works and people like it or think it's worth doing more then I'm willing to invest a bit of time in setting up the PRINCIPLE motorsport events (i.e. Nascar, F1, BTCC, Indycar) and then giving that a go too. I chose now as it's summer break and it's unlikely to be that busy!

If it still kicks off I may have to enlist help in setting up polls for all motorsport events that may be of interest to people. I don't know how many honestly record stuff and how many people glue themselves to a live stream...

Thanks for your help guys! :flag:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You should probably disable voting until nearer the actual race :lol:, I know PHP is considered ancient shit nowdays by trendy young web developers but with a php/mysql setup you could setup a great automatic system, especially if the questions were always the same (no I'm not volunteering).

Re: Spiders, I usually put a glass over them then slide a piece of paper under the glass, tip it over and take the fucker outside, never had to throw a glass at the wall yet (although I have thrown the eight legged contents at hysterical women a few times).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:51 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Here's your sait rundown.

Green Flag

Single file raceing

Someone you dont want to win wins.

The race hasnt started yet but I'm afraid I have to spoil it already.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:27 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Motors TV premiering this race at 8am on a Sunday morning should tell you all you need to know.

Even they don't think it will be but they have to show it.

Shame, because Iowa is a nice track.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:37 am 

Ian-S wrote:
You should probably disable voting until nearer the actual race :lol:, I know PHP is considered ancient shit nowdays by trendy young web developers but with a php/mysql setup you could setup a great automatic system, especially if the questions were always the same (no I'm not volunteering).

Oh yeah, this is just a trial run so in future I'd open it after the race has finished or just before it started if it was a late Nascar race.

If it's a "service" that people would find useful, however, I could look into a better set up and at least host it separetly to my non-sensical bullshit. :p

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I like the concept of this, I'd rather it was on the forum rather than on a separate website though. I guess the rate the f1 race threads serve a similar sort of purpose, but it'd be helpful to have a thread saying which support races are worth watching.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

My process for today:
* Forgot that there's a Nationwide race tonight until, like, an hour before the race starts (And I made the race thread FFS).
* Still manage to forget.
* Have the Pro Football HOF enshrinement on in the background while doing other tasks.
* Once again realize "Oh that's right, there's a Nationwide race on right now, should probably check that out".
* Change it, then instantly figure out why I forgot....
Spoiler:
Brad Keselowski is in the race, and the only Cup regular in the field. Fuck this company.

I think the more important question here is: Is the Nationwide Series in general worth watching? Besides the annual road course/superspeedway lulz?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:22 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

There are more posts in this thread than there were about the sait race.

You can close the poll now.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I voted that I would use, but only if I was in doubt of watching. When I read a race is good, I expect to much and get disapointed most of times, while when you enter something open minded and see a 7/10 race I'm happy already.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:04 pm 

gd49 wrote:
I like the concept of this, I'd rather it was on the forum rather than on a separate website though. I guess the rate the f1 race threads serve a similar sort of purpose, but it'd be helpful to have a thread saying which support races are worth watching.

I was thinking this last night, as things that involve going to a third website are often not very popular, for good reason.

The only issue with the "rate the GP" threads is that you can still have certain aspects of the race spoilt for you, either on your way to the thread, or if you happen to see a couple of posts in the thread itself.

Maybe I'm way overthinking matters here and should just grow a pair :P but if the "Rate the XX" threads were made so that the options were a little more informative rather than just a number, and if replies were disabled (CENSORSHIP!!1) it might work, although it would be even better if "Rating Races" became a separate subforum that you could access without going into the sub-forums for that category.

iunno.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:48 pm 

Sait?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:40 pm 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

It's an old forum joke using an actual university in Alberta.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:29 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think it's a great idea personally. I don't have the time or patience to sit through every race that gets aired, and there's nothing worse than watching 100 laps of boring racing when it's not live.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tom wrote:
gd49 wrote:

I was thinking this last night, as things that involve going to a third website are often not very popular, for good reason.

The only issue with the "rate the GP" threads is that you can still have certain aspects of the race spoilt for you, either on your way to the thread, or if you happen to see a couple of posts in the thread itself.

Maybe I'm way overthinking matters here and should just grow a pair :P but if the "Rate the XX" threads were made so that the options were a little more informative rather than just a number, and if replies were disabled (CENSORSHIP!!1) it might work, although it would be even better if "Rating Races" became a separate subforum that you could access without going into the sub-forums for that category.

iunno.

The nascar tread titles are the worst for spoiler avoidance, it makes my mind be dying trying to figure it out what's happening, and a real torture to have to wait for a torrent to finish download 3 days later. Not that I want it to stop, they're also a pretty god humour source for me. :D But no way to avoid, as even from the index they apear.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:39 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Drunk much? Lol :P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's worse when it's not clear what's happening to the tread title be that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:52 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone fancy rating the Rockingham btcc supports? Which are worth watching in full?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:56 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

IIRC (from watching them on my phone in the pub while watching the F1 on the big screen)

Clios were fun

Ginetta Juniors were as you would expect

Lets not even mention the Porches because I moan a lot and people think it's hilarious

FFord's looked....o...k (Not sure if I saw race 1 or 2 though, or 2 or 3 or however many they run)

Didn't see the Ginetta GTs but I'm curious as to how John Hindhaugh from Radio Le Mans did.

I think...that's it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley