TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 522 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Number of times people have said "FUCK THIS NOISE, NEVER WATCHING AGAIN" here at TBK; 1,436.
Number of times people have never actually done that and shown up just to say the very same thing the next week, every week for the last 9 years I've been a member here; 1,436.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Nationwide cars seem to be going quite a bit faster than they did in February and April.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Andre wrote:
Number of times people have said "FUCK THIS NOISE, NEVER WATCHING AGAIN" here at TBK; 1,436.
Number of times people have never actually done that and shown up just to say the very same thing the next week, every week for the last 9 years I've been a member here; 1,436.

That's true to an extent, but I definitely watch far fewer Nationwide races than I used to (I'll watch this race because you know, It's DAYTONA). Even with Cup, I tend to record the majority of them and then watch it the next day with a lot of fast forwarding.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't bother staying up so late for races any more. I'll have it on in the back ground until I end up going to bed.

Though that might just be age XD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:51 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well that part is quite obvious - I still watch Truck and Nationwide races, but only if there's a real incentive to watch (i.e. at a road course, plate race, or standalone event without Cuppies). The Cup driver factor is quite detrimental, however. I will always watch on Sundays, and I will probably always complain about this and that about what happened during a Cup race, but I will always watch Cup racing. I'll probably disagree with many things the sport is doing, but if the end product is fun to watch, I'll watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

We watch, we bitch, we still watch.... The lives of TBK members.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:20 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Jeff wrote:
Gaara wrote:
24 cars, one of which is TBA. ARCA really has dropped.

Money is the issue. Low car counts are everywhere. They had 23 there last year. I haven't seen the #23 car entered which is surprising. It also doesn't help when teams that planned to run the full schedule (the #46 and #86) have sponsor issues and have to drop out or cut back. NASCAR's K&N series have had counts in the 20s. Wish they'd do a combination race with ARCA somewhere so we'd get a 40 car entry list and some DNQs again.

I think the lack of cheap second hand Cup equipment is finally catching up to them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

^ Yep. I agree with that.

I will say that I've watched far fewer races this year than I have in past years. Will watch Saturday because it's Daytona. If it was another ho-hum race... There's other stuff to do. I definitely no longer set aside my Sunday's to watch the Cup races.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:22 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I went to the 500 earlier this year and had to leave because of the rain delay and work Monday. (Since they changed dates and the Monday after isn't a holiday anymore.) Then I went to Texas in April and couldn't stay for Monday… Now I'm going to the 400 and the forecast apparently isn't any better, and I have to fly back to Charlotte Sunday. :yuk:

$$$$$ out the window so far.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:50 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm not going to say that I'm never watching again, but Sonoma was the anniversary of me watching NASCAR for half my life now, and Kentucky was pretty much the first time I didn't care at all about an entire NASCAR race weekend. I didn't even check the results because I just don't give a shit. Where did Gordon finish? It doesn't matter because he's more or less in the stupid new chase thing.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Well that sucks, zippy. :( There definitely has been an increase in rain delays in the past few years...

This year at Pocono will be my 19th race attended, and I've had two rain-shortened races and one race postponed until Monday - which we were lucky to be able to attend. Well, '02 was because of rain\Steve Park red flag\more rain, and then called for darkness. But we've been pretty lucky - two postponements in a year is pretty damn shitty.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:37 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

50% chance of rain all day today. Hopefully will get something in. This'll be the first Natuonwide race with the usual clowns I'm sitting down for probably since, Daytona. Yeah I went from watching 100% of on track activity back in my obsessive days to just a few stand only events and the occasional race on Sunday. Last week was the first time I ever thought "hmm I'd rather do nothing than go watch the races." The thrill is almost gone. But yeah I may never be able to not watch some Daytona or DEGA, even some good road course action, but otherwise I couldn't care less for these other shit shows.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It is about to POUR

Tents and pop-ups blowing around.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:34 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Weather forecast is looking better. Theyre SAYING thunderstorms should stop right around the time the Nationwide race starts... This feels like deja vu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Apparently some drama with the 98 team with guess what? SPONSORS.

Quote:
Florida gubernatorial candidate on the #98 at Daytona UPDATES: Given how frugal [Florida Democratic gubernatorial candidate] Charlie Crist has tended to be with his campaign money, this surprised us, even knowing that adviser Steve Schale is a racing buff: His campaign is sponsoring [#98 Phil Parsons Racing] Ford in the Coke Zero 400. These sponsorships can cost as much as hundreds of thousands of dollars. "The campaign spent no money on this and the cost of wrapping the car was an in kind donation from a supporter who is a big NASCAR fan," said campaign spokesman Brendan Gilfillian. The car is owned by Mike Curb, Republican former California lieutenant governor and record company executive who surely knows Crist's long time political pal, Mitch Bainwol, the former head of the Recording Industry Association of America. The driver is John Wise.(Miami Herald)(7-1-2014)
UPDATE: A political ad that created a bit of a firestorm has been removed from the Phil Parsons Racing car that will compete Saturday in the Sprint Cup Series race at Daytona International Speedway. Phil Parsons said Friday morning he did not remove the "Charlie Crist for Florida" stickers from his car because of the Republican Party of Florida complaint but out of respect to team business partner Mike Curb, a Republican and former lieutenant governor of California. Curb is the listed owner of the car on NASCAR entry lists and his Curb Records logos are on the team equipment. "I did it out of respect to Mike Curb, who is a staunch Republican and he didn't feel comfortable and he's been a huge supporter and a partner to us from the very start," Parsons said in the garage as the car was going through technical inspection. Parsons said he had been paid by a supporter of Crist's to put the Crist stickers on the #98 car driven by Josh Wise, who gained national notoriety when he won the fan vote into the Sprint All-Star Race in May thanks to the support of the Dogecoin community on Reddit. The underfunded team will return the money.(Sporting News)7-4-2014)
UPDATE 2: NASCAR lists Mike Curb as the car's owner, but Curb said he has an agreement with Phil Parsons, a former NASCAR driver and now a team owner. In the agreement, Parsons owns and operates the car, and Curb is listed as the entrant with NASCAR. Curb said he doesn't control sponsorships and only learned Wednesday night Crist's name would be on the car. As a co-sponsor of the #98 car, Curb has an ad on the car for his recording artist Lee Brice, a country music performer who is providing the pre-race entertainment Saturday. "I don't want to get Lee Brice involved in Florida politics," Curb said. James Finch, a Panama City businessman who owns a construction company, said he brokered the deal with his friend Parsons, who could not be reached for comment Thursday night. Frustrated by Scott's seemingly endless supply of campaign cash and negative television ads directed at Crist, he said he arranged to pay about $25,000 to Parsons for the sponsorship. "Charlie is a friend of mine," said Finch, who owned a racing team until late 2013. "Phil is a friend of mine. I was helping out both of them. Charlie Crist hasn't paid anything for the car. It was all my idea."(Daytona Beach News-Journal)(7-4-2014)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You know you've got the wrong sponsor on the car when even the driver publically expresses that he is not comfortable with it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:36 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You gotta be fucking kidding!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sudden downpour late in round 1 of Nationwide qualifying on the backstretch. Several of the shithouse teams just got wiped out.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That was something out of the '01 All-Star race.

Last edited by Cartman on Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It's crazy how isolated that shower was. It only hit in like the middle third of the backstretch.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 423 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 522 Next