TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 526 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:40 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

possible sub 1:10 laps?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:49 am 

Guys, i'm sitting here in T1 and it's really amazing... cars are wobbling over the outside curbs at the exit of the corner, this will be fun throughout the weekend!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:03 am 

I don't have footage. Do they still go so ridiculously wide at T1 like 2003? (was pretty cool actually)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Fryslân, The Netherlands, TBK-member since May 7th, 2003
Vettel with a HUGE moment!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Lots of little incidents and mistakes.

I bet they make changes to that final corner. We couldn't possibly have run off that might punish a mistake. It reminds me of the bump they used to have on the grass at the final corner in Melbourne.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:36 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hopefully Red Bull Ring has made a deal that no track changes are permitted for the next 10 years. If corners that punish and may lead a crash will be banned, the whole Monaco should be banned. But if Monaco stays, challenging corners should stay.
Besides, Firman crashed there 2003, so should it be considered remarkably dangerous corner, they would have changed it between these 11 years.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:
I don't have footage. Do they still go so ridiculously wide at T1 like 2003? (was pretty cool actually)
They can't anymore as there's a small hump on the outer edge of the kurb to prevent them running off.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:38 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Tracks should punish mistakes, not make it an advantage to go off the track.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:49 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

StefMeister wrote:
cookie wrote:
The sparking Porsches in WEC look cool, so why not try it in F1? It's a low cost modification and will look great during the 3 night time races. It's not like it costs millions to test and develop, so why is everyone against it?
I agree with what Anthony Davidson & David Croft just said on Sky.

When we had the sparks in the past you know it was a sign of teams lowering the cars for performance while now you know its because they have put something on the cars to artificially create the sparks purely to add spectacle so it just doesn't seem as interesting to see them.

What? They sparked in the eighties because they did not have a wooden plank on their cars that is the first thing to hit the ground. All they've done now is put some titanium blocks in the plank, so they will in fact spark when teams lower the cars for performance just like back in the day. But as is the norm by "fans" (and commentators it seems) these days, every new thing is criticized as artificial and fake.

As we saw on Rosberg's car, it didn't spark all the way around the track but only when the car was bottoming out. Normally we could not notice that because it was just wood hitting the ground (only in eau rouge you could see it because it is extreme bottoming in that corner).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:53 am 

phil1993 wrote:
Having stood down at T1 and the chicane in Canada during practice, I can assure you it's not a joke driving wise. Quite the opposite.

The fastest corner there is taken at which speed, 120kph? That circuit is just comprised of very slow corners in which most of them have the drivers just climbing over the high kerbs at the apices. If you brake it right, the only problem they may eventually face is an unsettle from the car during the kerb riding.

Every corner is challenging in a broad sense but, imho, CGV doesn't have the corners which I think are the most requiring, driving-wise.

Having watched FP1, RB Ring is a contrast to me. T2 and T3 apart(and even T3 is quite tricky), all corners are quite demanding. The first and last one are mid speed but very tight and doesn't allow errors in racing line while the sequence of T5, 6, 8 are very thrilling and exhilarating.

I don't remember when was the last time I saw so many offs as in this session. It had replays all the time with people running off, when that wasn't captured live. I'm very please this track is back on the calendar. The only thing I don't like about it is that it's too short and have few corners.

Hopefully the review nulls Perez's punishment, btw. Eventhough I wouldn't penalize him either, that was Massa running over Perez in my view. Sergio never turned left and only started going straight in the final moments previous to the contact. From the heli cam, it was visible that Massa turned into Perez which ultimately contributed the most to the collision. Obviously going straight in that point also meant bringing the car closer to Felipe, but I don't agree at all with putting it down to Perez, only.

codename_47 wrote:
The cars might still look like shit, but hey, they spark! :thumbsup:

C'mon guys, focus on the actual problems with the sport.
Sparks were like the icing on the cake, a spectacular side effect from a great era of racing.

No one tuned in specifically to see sparks. :slaphead:

(We had robot wars for that ;) )

:thumbsup:
Sparks were really a spectacular byproduct of that regulation era. When it's pushed/forced artificially like this, it seems a bit silly as that hornet idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Will a driver get penailsed if his car doesn't spark enough?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cookie wrote:
StefMeister wrote:
cookie wrote:
The sparking Porsches in WEC look cool, so why not try it in F1? It's a low cost modification and will look great during the 3 night time races. It's not like it costs millions to test and develop, so why is everyone against it?
I agree with what Anthony Davidson & David Croft just said on Sky.

When we had the sparks in the past you know it was a sign of teams lowering the cars for performance while now you know its because they have put something on the cars to artificially create the sparks purely to add spectacle so it just doesn't seem as interesting to see them.

What? They sparked in the eighties because they did not have a wooden plank on their cars that is the first thing to hit the ground. All they've done now is put some titanium blocks in the plank, so they will in fact spark when teams lower the cars for performance just like back in the day. But as is the norm by "fans" (and commentators it seems) these days, every new thing is criticized as artificial and fake.

As we saw on Rosberg's car, it didn't spark all the way around the track but only when the car was bottoming out. Normally we could not notice that because it was just wood hitting the ground (only in eau rouge you could see it because it is extreme bottoming in that corner).

Tbh, it does sound like Davidson being a clot. They still have roughly the same ride height as they used to have, it's just that since 1994 the lower limit has been dictated by the plank, not the undertray - that's the whole point.

Having skid blocks on the plank, to me, seems no less genuine an indicator of ride height than skid blocks on the floor. If anything, the additional protection against wear afforded by blocks of metal might even encourage them to run lower.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Omega wrote:

SShhhhhh don't give F1 any silly ideas.

Next someone will be suggesting that every restart after an SC period will be from the grid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Cool to see the circuit now after what it was like when F1 left before
http://www.circuitsofthepast.nl/en-US/oesterreichring

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:04 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

kals wrote:
Omega wrote:

SShhhhhh don't give F1 any silly ideas.

Next someone will be suggesting that every restart after an SC period will be from the grid.

Don't be silly kals!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The added Emirates ad at that corner looks hideous. Plus it makes the wheels go red as they pass it >.<

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:33 pm 

Seeing a lot of mistakes from the drivers. Its a pretty easy track to learn, these corners are awkward enough to catch them out.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Both STR's having issues at the final corner at the same time :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looks like it's going to rain soon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 506 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 526 Next