TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 3:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1150 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2158 Next
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:
Indy has been and always will be a dangerous place... With that said, some of the layout of the barriers due to the road course are needlessly dangerous. Hope they do something with that.

Great Lights race and good to hear he's OK, broken wrist aside.

Yeah it would have been better if the wall had been extended parallel with the track line instead of turning sharp along the road course, even if just a temporary wall like what they put up covering the pit entry during the GP.

Sometimes I wonder how this stuff gets overlooked, he's not the first person to have crashed into that wall.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe that's not possible Ian because the wall wouldn't get good enough structural rigidity to withhold a car upon impact.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

True, but Indy seems to have more money than sense so I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem for them, they could just dig up the road course to put some foundations down :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 10:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
...Indy seems to have more money than sense so ... they could just dig up the road course

This is all I read, amen to this

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Maybe safety is mostly thought with Indycars in mind, and given their speed it's unlikely that a car would ever end up there.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:21 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I saw that crash from the t1 grandstand, very scary.

Safety crews were there very fast though.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:35 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Just looking at that picture ^^^ Who the hell thought that was a good idea? That thing is going to explode when one of the IndyCars gets punted into it at 220mph.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:26 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

While it looked dangerous the driver only broke his wrist and that was mostly because he didn't take his hands of the steering wheel. If it wasn't for that he would simply get out of the wreck.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 12:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

chimp wrote:
While it looked dangerous the driver only broke his wrist and that was mostly because he didn't take his hands of the steering wheel. If it wasn't for that he would simply get out of the wreck.

Yeah, he was *very* lucky. The opposite side of this coin is the sort of 'he would have been fine, but...' accident that claimed Senna. The track designers should really be looking to remove things that create this sort of knife-edge situation, and I suspect the lack of time between the road course race and the change to oval running might well be to blame here.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 2:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I agree with the majority that the situation with the edge of the barrier was overlooked, but I also firmly believe that cannot plan for every eventuality. While the barrier was dangerous in this exact type of incident and impact, the driver should be held accountable for the injury for not doing the sensible thing and taking his hands off the wheel.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There is also that. There seem to have been a lot of wrist injuries in Indycar last year, too. Car issues, or just a driver mentality thing?

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
I agree with the majority that the situation with the edge of the barrier was overlooked, but I also firmly believe that cannot plan for every eventuality. While the barrier was dangerous in this exact type of incident and impact, the driver should be held accountable for the injury for not doing the sensible thing and taking his hands off the wheel.

Then the simple answer is you give one or two of the drivers the plans and say "find the problems", even a monkey could find a problem with a wall having a 90 degree angle in it mere meters from cars running 230mph.

They have the same issue on the exit of turn 2, although that might only be a 45 degree angle, there's probably a far greater chance of someone reaching it than the turn 1 wall, and someone will, might not be tomorrow, but they will.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
kals wrote:

Then the simple answer is you give one or two of the drivers the plans and say "find the problems", even a monkey could find a problem with a wall having a 90 degree angle in it mere meters from cars running 230mph.

They have the same issue on the exit of turn 2, although that might only be a 45 degree angle, there's probably a far greater chance of someone reaching it than the turn 1 wall, and someone will, might not be tomorrow, but they will.

Completely agree but sometimes the most obvious things are the hardest to see. And besides, it was a perfect storm kind of accident.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There's also the 1m-high pitwall, with all the people casually hanging around in there, and an unprotected concrete scoring pillar.

Some day a car is going to take off there. It already happened (Salt Walter), just on the other side of the track.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 5:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Completely agree.

I wonder whether it's similar to the Airline Industry mentality, it'll cost us less in compensation for the one time it does happen than it will to start from scratch and fix it properly, with the possibility that the original issue, may never happen (although the pitwall should be the most obvious of obvious in the history of obvious).

I know I've got a founding members badges for the "don't fix what isn't broke" and the "motor racing is too safe" clubs, but sometimes the solution is so simple it seems inexplicitly stupid not to do it.

I mean, you've got the biggest sporting event in the Western World being broadcasted live in 60 countries (iirc), potentially billions of tv viewers, and for the sake of saving the cost of a fence, you're prepared to risk showing someone be sliced into little pieces by a flying car? Just seems a silly risk to me for the cost that it would be to make it a non-issue.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/ ... t-23854629

Quote:
Authorities said an argument preceded the shooting death of a 25-year-old Indiana man who was camping in a parking lot near the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. One person is in custody. Max Levine, 25, of Kokomo, was shot early Saturday morning in Coke Lot 1C, Speedway Police Lt. Trent Theobald said in a news release. He told The Indianapolis Star that there was a verbal altercation before the shooting. Police did not provide further information about the person in custody. The Coke Lot is a popular spot across the street from the speedway, where Indy 500 race fans have set up tents and partied on race weekend for decades.

Indiana State Police Sgt. Brian Olehy said the race weekend incident is unusual, but it isn't the first shooting. In 2012, a fan was hospitalized after he was shot in the chest after an apparent altercation across from the speedway. Levine's death was the first violent death on race weekend in Theobald's 16 years with the Speedway Police Department, he told the newspaper, adding that fights were common on race weekend.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 7:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Damn, so many shootings at the moment :(

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 10:30 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Can someone tell me the start time for Indy 500 start?
I mean for CET. im +1

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 11:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Green flag is 12:12 EST

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
Completely agree.

I wonder whether it's similar to the Airline Industry mentality, it'll cost us less in compensation for the one time it does happen than it will to start from scratch and fix it properly, with the possibility that the original issue, may never happen (although the pitwall should be the most obvious of obvious in the history of obvious).

I know I've got a founding members badges for the "don't fix what isn't broke" and the "motor racing is too safe" clubs, but sometimes the solution is so simple it seems inexplicitly stupid not to do it.

I mean, you've got the biggest sporting event in the Western World being broadcasted live in 60 countries (iirc), potentially billions of tv viewers, and for the sake of saving the cost of a fence, you're prepared to risk showing someone be sliced into little pieces by a flying car? Just seems a silly risk to me for the cost that it would be to make it a non-issue.

It's mental tbh, they put the fence up for the F1 race, why do they needlessly risk the lives of people in the 500

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1150 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2158 Next