TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55 Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:39 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Scotty wrote:
SFM wrote:
Scotty wrote:
- These cars have only 40-80hp less than the 2.4L V8's from the 2006-2013 era. Around 750hp (600hp is wrong as all hell that's without the ERS tech), possibly more, compared to not much above 800hp they were producing previously. I havent seen any torque figures, but if I was going to guess, I'd say torque has gone up by 150-200% too.

So 750hp with ERS, right? What about the remaining minute of the lap, without the ERS? 600hp then? And how does torque influence lap times?

A considerable minute of the rest of that lap is spent not on wide open throttle. Either via cornering or braking. So for the majority of the lap the cars are accelerating forward, its 750hp.

SFM wrote:
Scotty wrote:
- These cars will be topping 360 to 370km/h at Monza this year, with good conditions and a good tow + DRS, upwards of 380km/h. So in a straight line, they will be the fastest F1 vehicles in history. Not pinnacle enough for you? This will be in year 1 of a engine era too. Imagine in 5 years time if downforce restrictions haven't changed and they've refined the technology? Could be 400km/h if not stopped.

So far, this is guessing in my opinion. I do agree with you once I see something above 360km/h this year.

This isn't guessing. What I did, during testing, was calculate the %age increase of top speed from Bahrain testing, compared it to the GP in 2013, and factored that difference into Monza speed trap speeds. There was an error, but iirc, the increase calculated to around 365km/h this year. The post where I calculated this exists but isn't on hand at the moment. Predicting the future is a guess not backed up by numbers, but F1 teams have had 6 months with this technology. Wait 6 years they'll be up a lot more from what they are now.

SFM wrote:
Scotty wrote:
- These engines are the pinnacle of new technology. All performance road cars in 20 years time will be using this technology, if not all vehicles. They are arguably a generation behind Le Mans prototypes, but they are still heading forward in the right direction. Most "pinnacle" supercars currently use this technology (McLaren P1, Porsche 918, Ferrari La Ferrari).

So V8, V10, V12 or whatever have never been pinnacle-like?

Of F1 cars? Or supercars? There is only a finite amount of development that can be done with naturally aspirated, internal combustion non-hybrid engines. They've been around for 160 years. The pinnacle of technology is moving away from this archaic technology and moving forward, in my opinion anyway.

The technology aspect is underappreciated. V10 and V12's are fun and so, but they aren't relevant in a world where motorsport have to justify itself more and more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:59 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quoting phil1993 for relevance to the conversation

phil1993 wrote:
Yeah but the past was always better. The future sucks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:02 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

dicksplaash wrote:
The technology aspect is underappreciated. V10 and V12's are fun and so, but they aren't relevant in a world where motorsport have to justify itself more and more.

That hits the nail on the head. And my impression is that most viewers don't have a problem with this, since it's just the world we live in now.

It's just that the live experience of modern Formula 1 has lost some of it's magic. Unfortunately I've only been to one live session in my life so far (Friday practice, Spa 2012) and the main reason for that was to experience the sound of the cars. It was fantastic but today I don't have the urge to go again on a Friday, simply because of the new sound.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:10 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The thing is, that I really REALLY don't remember anyone having the same complaints with Indycar's switch to turbo charged power units from the start of 2012. I know F1 has a larger global reach and popularity, but on this forum it is still a hugely followed form of motorsport. Barely any complaints were registered.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:20 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
The thing is, that I really REALLY don't remember anyone having the same complaints with Indycar's switch to turbo charged power units from the start of 2012. I know F1 has a larger global reach and popularity, but on this forum it is still a hugely followed form of motorsport. Barely any complaints were registered.

Because CART ran turbo engines. It wasn't a huge change because it existed in very recent history in relation to the series.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:25 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's a good point ellis. What that shows also is that noise isn't as relevant a complaint as people perceive it to be. People loved CART and never once complained that engines weren't noisy enough. But seeing as we've had 10'ish years if these ugly screamers, suddenly quieter engines are extremely offensive to F1 fans.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:32 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

It's all about the fact it's a significant change and whenever there is significant change there will be people who oppose it. Their reasons for doing so may be valid however and I honestly see nothing wrong with people preferring the high pitched scream of the V8's/10's compared to a turbo. Is there really a problem with having preference from one sound to another? Yeah it's annoying when people base their opposition to the new engines on opinions of inferior or irrelevant technology etc etc since it's untrue but a simple "I prefer the sound of the older engine" is a completely fair statement to make even if it isn't a basis to oppose the change in regulations imo.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the problem comes in when people leap from "I don't like the noise" to "I don't like the noise, this isn't F1 any more". One of those statements is a completely fair and valid opinion; the other is - on the surface, at least - an unfairly sweeping statement.

Not all people liked the V8s - I thought they sounded pretty shit tbh - but F1 was and continues to be the peak of single-seater performance. It's just a different get-up underneath.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:08 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
That's a good point ellis. What that shows also is that noise isn't as relevant a complaint as people perceive it to be. People loved CART and never once complained that engines weren't noisy enough. But seeing as we've had 10'ish years if these ugly screamers, suddenly quieter engines are extremely offensive to F1 fans.

To be honest, CART engines weren't that quiet. They aren't the loudest engines in the world no, but I've stood trackside at Long Beach and they are pretty damn loud. Some LMPs are louder, some are quieter. I think F1s issue is it's went from one extreme to the other.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:

Because CART and Indy Car are a different product to F1 alltogether, and offred a different experience and form of racing. If they were trying to emulate F1 then they would face the same criticisms.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh I know. However this is what my previous post said which ellis originally responded to...

kals wrote:
I know F1 has a larger global reach and popularity, but on this forum it is still a hugely followed form of motorsport. Barely any complaints were registered.

This and what ellis mentioned seemed to be the best points on subject.

gkmotorsport wrote:
I think the problem comes in when people leap from "I don't like the noise" to "I don't like the noise, this isn't F1 any more". One of those statements is a completely fair and valid opinion; the other is - on the surface, at least - an unfairly sweeping statement.

Not all people liked the V8s - I thought they sounded pretty shit tbh - but F1 was and continues to be the peak of single-seater performance. It's just a different get-up underneath.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:18 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

NVirkkula wrote:
StanV wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
and the next loudest thing BelCar Viper 8.0l V10 and Pro-modified big block V8.

Which one would that be?

The BelCar Viper? It was Pertti Kuismanen's Viper that was doing a dyno run in a workshop I was working back in summer 2006. Usually when the Evos were dynoed, you could hear it in the next room. But when the Viper got in to the dyno, the whole building was shaking. That thing was so evil that even the peak torque was 666 Nm. In the end of the day they found around +20hp with new maps and exhaust system.

the Viper:

The pro-modified drag racers were nearly equally loud.

I was guessing that it was Pertti's! Awesome. My favourite Viper ever. Before he used the Viper he had an Audi 80 Competition which was equally as loud, if not louder :p

/offtopic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:24 pm 

The best thing I've heard in person would be a pack of Super Touring cars. Is that cool enough?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Le Mans 2008 when 4 Corvette C6R's drove past behind each other was my most Eargasmic experience.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:30 pm 

Fish88 wrote:
Le Mans 2008 when 4 Corvette C6R's drove past behind each other was my most Eargasmic experience.

How do GT1's compare with GTE? I loved the sounds experience at Le Mans in 2012, the diversity of it. The memories that stands out are the racey scream of the Rebellion Lola-Toyota's and the EARTH-SHATTERING rumble of the GTE Vette's and Aston's. Give's me goose bumps still when I write about it now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:33 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Fish88 wrote:

As much as I adore the Corvettes, if you want something rougher and louder track but along the same lines, the Speed GT CTS-V is even better.

Wait till 45 and 58 seconds.

dicksplaash, the GT1 Corvettes were louder and rougher than the GTEs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haven't visited Le Mans since 2010 so wouldn't be that sure about it, the GT2's back then weren't as loud as the GT1's. But having heard diverse video's of the GTE Corvette I would say the authentic hassound n't changed much. That rumble they give indeed gives a lot of goosebumps. Especially at the first lap when you first get a parade of Diesels (Peugeot and Audi) and than the Aston LMP1 followed by the GT1 class, good old days 8).

This video shows the difference epicly.

[youtube]watch?v=9ve6eubV3F4[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:01 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

Worth bearing in mind that all this whinging is largely irrelevant because the engines aren't changing any time soon, as they've been designed with road car engines in mind, and even if they did make some changes to make them louder in the medium/long-term future, judging by recent decisions it'll be on the whims of those running the sport, based on the opinions of channel-hoppers and children under the age of 11

To be honest, I'd have gone further and just made the F1 engines entirely based around road car blocks. Then you'll have real benefits for road car engine technology

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:09 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

James B wrote:
Worth bearing in mind that all this whinging is largely irrelevant because the engines aren't changing any time soon, as they've been designed with road car engines in mind, and even if they did make some changes to make them louder in the medium/long-term future, judging by recent decisions it'll be on the whims of those running the sport, based on the opinions of channel-hoppers and children under the age of 11

Sorry but this is just throwing some more oil on the little fire we got here.

Besides, it'll mostly be based on the opinion of the circuit directors (or whatever the right title is).

Ecclestone already announced that something on short term will have to take place and today he has put that responsibility on the manufacturers. I'm curious on what that will be though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

yawn, noise

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55 Next