TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55 Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:29 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The lack of noise doesn't bother me in the least when watching on TV as I'm mainly focused on the action/racing itself.

However for me personally it's a much different experience when going to a GP in person. In such case, I'm less focused on the action/racing itself and I have to admit that the noise has been one of the biggest and most memorable part of the experience. With that lacking, I can see why certain spectators at the circuit itself may come away disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:11 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

I don't know what's the big fuss with V6T engines lack of sound, since the 2.4 V8s were not that loud with last year rev limits. When they were running over 20.000, that was another story. The loudest engine I've ever witnessed was a Nitro V2 Harley and the next loudest thing BelCar Viper 8.0l V10 and Pro-modified big block V8. Those things makes a sound that will shake your soul and pound your chest from half mile distance. So if the sound is the thing for you, go watch a drag race instead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 pm 

Tobias wrote:
just a question, were the 80s turbos deafening? Like the V12s, V10s and even V8s?

Just based on that impression, that's not as loud as I remember the V6 turbos of CART-era Indy being. (CART era Indycars were at around 11000 RPM I think.)

CART cars though weren't designed with efficiency in mind, and my guess is that some of the lack of noise is not only due to lower RPMs and turbos naturally being quieter, but also because of a more efficient design (greater emphasis on energy recovery etc.). I imagine will be rather difficult reconciling those clamoring for "loud noise" with this vision.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:41 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

NVirkkula wrote:
and the next loudest thing BelCar Viper 8.0l V10 and Pro-modified big block V8.

Which one would that be?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:03 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Karan wrote:
The lack of noise doesn't bother me in the least when watching on TV as I'm mainly focused on the action/racing itself.

However for me personally it's a much different experience when going to a GP in person. In such case, I'm less focused on the action/racing itself and I have to admit that the noise has been one of the biggest and most memorable part of the experience. With that lacking, I can see why certain spectators at the circuit itself may come away disappointed.

I completely agree with you. It's not that they sound different, but that it takes away a part of the experience of watching an F1 race (particularly live). And thats - I think - the part that Ecclestone and Walker (Aussie GP Boss) talk about. That's when F1 looses a part of it's myth.

I's also curious at how the old Turbo engines sounded. if they were as quiet as nowadays or if they were much louder. Anybody know from first hand experience? :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

They were louder than the current versions. But then again they were drowned out by the English crowd on a couple of occasions, Silverstone 1987 is a good example.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:04 am 

Button, Hulkenberg, Hembery and Mallya made very clear that they miss the previous engines a lot and this new ones are a big let down. Here we have Toto, to name a prominent member, who feels the same.

The media is not making a case out of nothing, I can easily see why lot's of people can't take the PU's sound. But as anything in life, people will get used to it.

I just hope the current cars, and everything surrounding this season, grows on me as it unfolds and I'm confident Sepang have potential to live up to that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Weren't the LOLA A1GP cars engineered to have a good sound? I'm not technical so I don't know how they would incorporate that in F1 with different engines.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am a big and firm believer in that F1 should look and sound like the pinnacle of motorsport. Currently in my and lots of people's view it is neither (however cut off the dicks at the end of the noses and the cars would look pretty good.....except for that Caterham).

If F1 wants to be road car relevant, give the engines a set amount of fuel, and the manufacturer's can design an engine however the fuck they want. The one that wins out will become the standard, and maybe, just maybe some of the tech might make its way to a road car as after all the manufacturer's will be incorporating their company design philosophies in the engine builds.

If Merc believes the best way to do that is by running a radical V10, Ferrari a batshit insane v12 and Renault a pussy v6 then so be it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:48 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

webbsy wrote:
I am a big and firm believer in that F1 should look and sound like the pinnacle of motorsport. Currently in my and lots of people's view it is neither (however cut off the dicks at the end of the noses and the cars would look pretty good.....except for that Caterham).

If F1 wants to be road car relevant, give the engines a set amount of fuel, and the manufacturer's can design an engine however the fuck they want. The one that wins out will become the standard, and maybe, just maybe some of the tech might make its way to a road car as after all the manufacturer's will be incorporating their company design philosophies in the engine builds.

If Merc believes the best way to do that is by running a radical V10, Ferrari a batshit insane v12 and Renault a pussy v6 then so be it.
the costs associated with that would be huge, especially when teams go in different directions only to realise another has an advantage and they have to design a new engine and car (to suit the new engine) to be competitive. The racing itself would suffer too if there were large disparities in performance.

Imo the relevance to road cars is better than ever now because the tech they are running now is very close to what road cars will be heading to and the tech is already in the latest supercars and over time will filter down, particularly with the use of the electric motor to spool the turbo off throttle and held to improve efficiency all round. Smaller engines with energy recovery is the way forward for the industry.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:53 am 

I quite like the sound of them coming past at full throttle just before a braking zone, they sound similar to the R18, with that huge whooshing noise before they pass you. For a lot of the track though, they sounded ok, but nothing special really, there isn't much of a spectacle with the noise anymore. I guess we'd better get used to it, since the ICE has probably just a few decades left in top level motorsport

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:54 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

StanV wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
and the next loudest thing BelCar Viper 8.0l V10 and Pro-modified big block V8.

Which one would that be?

The BelCar Viper? It was Pertti Kuismanen's Viper that was doing a dyno run in a workshop I was working back in summer 2006. Usually when the Evos were dynoed, you could hear it in the next room. But when the Viper got in to the dyno, the whole building was shaking. That thing was so evil that even the peak torque was 666 Nm. In the end of the day they found around +20hp with new maps and exhaust system.

the Viper:

The pro-modified drag racers were nearly equally loud.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:27 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think the sound is one of the biggest let downs. When I turned on the TV Friday for the practice, I was really disappointed from what I have seen and especially heard. I have talked to a lot of my friends and all were like this is crap, nothing else. And even some girls I know who absolutely give a damn about Formula 1 asked what happened to the sound. If it wasn't Formula 1, I would really stop watching it because in my opinion this is just ridiculous. No sound, 100kg fuel, ERS, DRS, etc. I can't see the racing no more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:32 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

KERS and DRS are gimmiks and I hate them. I understand everyone complaining about that.
The turbos and the sound they produce however, I dont mind at all. Instead I prefer the... darker sound they make. I don't need them to scream.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty wrote:
All the people I heard complaining about the lack of noise also to lack intelligence.

I go to a rock concert to enjoy the music, not the tinnitus. Same with grand prix racing.

But I figure you'll wear earplugs in any case, won't you?

And it is not about tinnitus or whatever, it is about the fact that this is supposed, in my opinion, to be called something like "pinnacle of racing". 600hp together with this sound is unworthy to be called Formula 1.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:46 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
Simple things amuse simple people.

All the people I heard complaining about the lack of noise also to lack intelligence.

A well formed argument once again. You're too stupid to appreciate the rest of the sport if it's quieter. Fantastic.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:58 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:

And now we have the reason you enjoy troll baiting so much.

Also, I apologise for my lack of intelligence. I simply thought that either liking or disliking the sound of the power units was a matter a personal taste. You know, something unique to everyone. Now that I know it's because those of us that don't like it are dribbling idiots I feel terribly ashamed.
I shall create a special forum for us dunces where we can all be thick together whilst you highly intelligent people lord it over the rest of us.

Prick.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:37 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

nea wrote:
I shall create a special forum for us dunces where we can all be thick together whilst you highly intelligent people lord it over the rest of us.

I thought the moderator's section already existed?[/runsandhides]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:49 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty wrote:
This is still the pinnacle of racing.

Good for you if it still is.

Scotty wrote:
- These cars would be faster than 2009-2013 era cars, but it's the downforce and weight limitations that are stopping them. Only stopping them so the formula is more balanced and the racing improves.

Would is the wrong mood. Are is the right one. I was referring to the whole combination making it not the pinnacle. And what you listed is part of this combination that makes car rather slow. So there is no sense in arguing with would. A 1000hp engine would make the cars faster, too. But apparently there is no 1000hp engine and there is not weight limit like 550kg. Right?

Scotty wrote:
- These cars have only 40-80hp less than the 2.4L V8's from the 2006-2013 era. Around 750hp (600hp is wrong as all hell that's without the ERS tech), possibly more, compared to not much above 800hp they were producing previously. I havent seen any torque figures, but if I was going to guess, I'd say torque has gone up by 150-200% too.

So 750hp with ERS, right? What about the remaining minute of the lap, without the ERS? 600hp then? And how does torque influence lap times?

Scotty wrote:
- These cars will be topping 360 to 370km/h at Monza this year, with good conditions and a good tow + DRS, upwards of 380km/h. So in a straight line, they will be the fastest F1 vehicles in history. Not pinnacle enough for you? This will be in year 1 of a engine era too. Imagine in 5 years time if downforce restrictions haven't changed and they've refined the technology? Could be 400km/h if not stopped.

So far, this is guessing in my opinion. I do agree with you once I see something above 360km/h this year.

Scotty wrote:
- These engines are the pinnacle of new technology. All performance road cars in 20 years time will be using this technology, if not all vehicles. They are arguably a generation behind Le Mans prototypes, but they are still heading forward in the right direction. Most "pinnacle" supercars currently use this technology (McLaren P1, Porsche 918, Ferrari La Ferrari).

So V8, V10, V12 or whatever have never been pinnacle-like?

Scotty wrote:
ou want noise? Watch top fuel drag racers scream by in 4 seconds. This is still the pinnacle of racing.

Unfortunately, I never made it to Top Fuel Drag Racing but I figure this must be an amazing experience though :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:50 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
nea wrote:
And now we have the reason you enjoy troll baiting so much.

Scotty wrote:

I think even those who are thick enough to dislike the new PU sounds could have worked out what I was getting at. Maybe there's a flaw in your theory about intelligence?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1090 posts ]  Go to page Previous 151 52 53 54 55 Next