TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2872 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36144 Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:46 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't know if I'll be watching anymore of this series. The racing may be alright, but I can't but the decisions made since. Extremely pissed off at the coverage. Hopefully something picks up the mantle of sportscar racing in America or we get GT500 regs for the P class. The whole thing is a farce. They should have killed the P class until they could come up with a legitimate solution. GT should have it's time in the spotlight, too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Didn't ALMS have a rule about forcing another car off track, or am I thinking of another series?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:03 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Credit to Ryan Eversley for posting this on Twitter.

Quote:
For the second year in a row, OldAsphalt takes the ARCA pick 'ems crown!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Been a long fall from grace hasn't it IMSA?

Ugh. Generally, I thought the race was pretty good. I don't know if they just fired all the ALMS IMSA officials or not, but the jerk offs in race control reek of Grand-Am stooges. Inexcusable for the call to go yellow to setup the finish and that asinine call/no-call on the Ferrari. Really amateurish moves. Just, really, nonsense all around when you think about it. One of four classes have open tire rules and are essentially playing by an entirely different set of rules than the rest of the field. I understand why, but for Christ sake just open the tire rules to all the classes. Getting rid of the dedicated IMSA safety crew, yeah, smart idea... Morons.

Seriously, with NASCRAP taking over American motorsports what the hell are we supposed to watch that isn't tainted by their bullshit? They've basically got a monopoly on the TV channels that broadcast racing, so we can't even get decent European racing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:42 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

In a perfect world, unless the Ferrari had punted the Audi off, that should have been instantly seen as "racing" and left at that. It's the last lap of a 24 hour race for the win, of course racing incidents are going to happen.

But what really pains me is that final full course caution call. You could tell they were just sitting in race control eagerly looking around the track for any reason at all to throw it out and bunch everyone up for the last few minutes. Guess we just have to get used to it. :/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Well this series is already the NASCAR Sportscar division then. Took them 1 race. Whilst i wont say I'll never watch it again, i certainly won't be making an effort to tune in. What a complete farce.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:15 am 

What is funny about this all is that when I post on F1 threads that I hate this fake SC gimmicks to "spice up" the show, when there is no real safety concern, I get a lot of flak. I'm glad to see other people in this forum also despise these sort of artifice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:55 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Artur Craft wrote:
What is funny about this all is that when I post on F1 threads that I hate this fake SC gimmicks to "spice up" the show, when there is no real safety concern, I get a lot of flak. I'm glad to see other people in this forum also despise these sort of artifice

Because F1 doesn't tend to use SC to spice up the show. They often do it because they're over concerned with safety and start races under yellow and what not, but it isn't like F1 has competition yellows like NASCAR openly does. Yesterday was blatantly a competition yellow, but they tried to fake it because sports car fans wouldn't like that. But nobody here is stupid enough to believe it. They didn't even wait for that car to stop rolling after a minor contact before they hit the yellow button.

My issue with the penalty is that they're completely inconsistent, even after 1 event. They penalised the Ferrari under the avoidable contact rule, and everyone pointed out there was no contact. They then justified that position by showing that the rule book says that they can use that rule even if no contact is made if a competitor pushes someone off the road. Now ok you can argue that anyone would do the same in that situation, and I'd probably agree. I'd also agree that the penalty is harsh. BUT, it fits the rules, and the issue was that the rule probably shouldn't be called avoidable contact, but rather leaving racing room.

Then hours later they CHANGE THE RESULT A SECOND TIME to go against the very ruling that they spent a while trying to justify. So..are they going to change every result based on fan pressure? They justified the ruling, then changed it because people weren't happy. So should we just all complain loudly until we get the result we want? In which case I think the Audi should win because Flying Lizard look awesome. It's as good a justification as any right?

We're one step away from having fan voting like NASCAR has. It's only 1 race in and they've already began deliberately fucking with races and results. You cannot pretend to run a legitimate world class sports car series whilst you mess with the rules, results and procedures like that.

And this is without discussing how difficult it was to actually watch the race, never mind watch it with acceptable coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As if ALMS never used questionably rushed FCYs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:31 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

They did. But this was meant to be the glorious new unified series, in the home of world motor sport etc etc etc. Yeah, lasted less than a day before the illusion was shattered.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:36 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Artur Craft wrote:

Name 1 moment when F1 threw a SC to spice up the show? There is none, they usually wait too long to throw a SC and let marshalls go out on track in dangerous spots. Only when it rains they put the SC out too fast, but that hardly spices up the show.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:08 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

If they want to NASCAR-ize the series, don't half-arse it.

Boys, have at it!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Remember when a battle for the win in a major endurance race between a Ferrari and a Flying Lizard was exciting and there were no penalties even for contact and somewhat questionable driving? If not, here's your evidence:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

The audi should have just breathed the throttle and held his ground so when that ferrari came darting high he got hooked in the right rear and sent through the infield. Problem solved.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah but then the Audi would have got the penalty...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:48 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yep. Either way the Audi was screwed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:05 pm 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

If Winkelhock had backed off on entry he could've gotten a run to the horseshoe and tried crossing up Pier Guidi there. There was no way Pier Guidi was maintaining the lead with the line he took through the kink without Winkelhock going off.

But hindsight is 20/20.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:31 pm 

http://gordonkirby.com/categories/colum ... no418.html

#nascar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:54 am 

cookie wrote:
Name 1 moment when F1 threw a SC to spice up the show? There is none, they usually wait too long to throw a SC and let marshalls go out on track in dangerous spots. Only when it rains they put the SC out too fast, but that hardly spices up the show.

I'm not gonna extend this talk as it's OT, in here, but if you couldn't think of any questionable SC throught the last decade, I won't be able to convince you. I'm not gonna dig into past seasons to remember some few occasions when they conveniently threw a SC when there were like tiny debris very far from the racing line, when the leader had a huge margin to everybody else...(and I'm not talking about very recent seasons like last year or so )

About TUSC, I'm gonna wait a few more events before ruling out this series. The racing was quite good in Daytona, just the last half an hour that was bizarre. Maybe(ok, I'm a desperate optimistic with this) the last race wasn't a glimpse of what it's coming to be.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

dicksplaash wrote:
http://gordonkirby.com/categories/columns/theway/2014/the_way_it_is_no418.html

#nascar

Fuck... :(

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 2872 posts ]  Go to page Previous 132 33 34 35 36144 Next