TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue May 14, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1253 254 255 256 257302 Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
gkmotorsport wrote:
Philthy82 wrote:
I get the feeling a lot of people imagine a closed cockpit meaning a jet-style canopy. If a basic roll cage was put over the driver I think it would have to lessen the hit to the helmet in a crash like Bianchi's.

The FIA did initially prefer the 'forward roll structure' to a full canopy. They released a video a few months ago of a test structure completely deflecting a wheel and tyre when fired head-on.

I forgot about that one! I actually meant this device:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
It's entirely understandable that they'd bring it up for this, not because it's of any use but because it avoids discussion of more serious issues that would leave the FIA being criticised for neglecting safety. "Oh I know, let's change the cars and ignore errors in procedure or aggressive driver culture"

I hate to bang on about this but I really feel this is quite a cynical attempt by certain people in the F1 paddock to avoid confronting serious problems. Anything to avoid bad publicity

I don't know if it's cynicism, or simply a mild repeat of the worries after Imola that led us to ridiculous tyre chicanes on the 'dangerous corner' list. Whilst we can only speculate until such time as Marussia or the FIA choose to release telemetry, I reckon the only proper solution will be to sort out the way drivers in all disciplines conduct themselves under yellows.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Actually, at 0:53 in the video I posted you can see a part of the wheel assembly detach and hit the helmet with enough force to open the visor...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:11 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

slowly getting there

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if they had those lights on the cars could race for more laps

but anyway, I hate those red bull gran turismo racers, their speed are too high for proper cornering

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

As cool as that is, I would never ever want that in F1. That is just a super hyped up LMP car. And I just can't connect with this design.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:44 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Protecting the drivers more can backfire. Anyone heard of this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation

Put the drivers in a tank that can plow into tow trucks like Bianchi's car did without any harm, and you can kiss your yellow behaviour management goodbye. This is just moving the risk from drivers to marshalls, is that what we want?

Now is a good chance to raise the driver awareness about yellows, because they see how they can hurt themselves badly if they don't slow down significantly. No matter how compassionate you are, it's naturally a more effective motivator to change, more than merely sensibilisation to putting other anonymous people in danger.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

In VLN, and probably in a lot of other series as well, you drive 60 kmh in a double yellow. If you don't, you can go and explain yourself to race control. In the first VLN races of the year none took it serious. Then one time race control summoned every offender one by one. It took so much time that they had to delay race start. But now everybody listens.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

coldtyre wrote:
Protecting the drivers more can backfire. Anyone heard of this? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation

Put the drivers in a tank that can plow into tow trucks like Bianchi's car did without any harm, and you can kiss your yellow behaviour management goodbye. This is just moving the risk from drivers to marshalls, is that what we want?

Now is a good chance to raise the driver awareness about yellows, because they see how they can hurt themselves badly if they don't slow down significantly. No matter how compassionate you are, it's naturally a more effective motivator to change, more than merely sensibilisation to putting other anonymous people in danger.

I'm inclined to agree with this. The safety changes over the last 20 years have obviously been for the best, but there has almost certainly been a corresponding increase in drivers thinking they are invincible. I would seriously hope to see some more talk about driver conduct, but we must also bear in mind that we have only speculated on what caused Jules to leave the track.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:46 am 

WilliamsF1 wrote on September 11th wrote:
Apparently Lotus are to switch from Renault engines, to Mercedes engines for 2015... It's written on GPupdate.net, but I don't recall hearing anything about it before now...?

Quote:
Meanwhile, Lopez refused to comment on rumors that the reason the switch to Mercedes engines for 2015 has not been announced yet is all to do with money and a lack of it.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3159 ... n-mistake/

So now it's confirmed. You read it here first folks :thumbsup:

Quote:
Lotus will use the Mercedes V6 hybrid power unit from the 2015 season until the end of Formula 1's current engine generation, the two parties confirmed ahead of this weekend's Russian Grand Prix.

The long-awaited tie-up sees Lotus move from Renault, while the team also drops Total in favour of fuel and lubricants from Petronas, although it will continue to design and manufacture its own transmission.

"We are pleased to have been chosen by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains in a significant long term deal," explained Matthew Carter, CEO of the Lotus team, in a joint statement issued on Thursday.

"We intend to return to the front of the field with the goals of winning Grands Prix and being a strong championship contender once more and we see this new agreement as one step towards this aim."

With long-time partner McLaren switching to Honda power units from the 2015 campaign, Mercedes-Benz motorsport boss Toto Wolff says retaining three customer teams was of great importance to the brand.

"Lotus F1 Team is an impressive organisation that has delivered competitive on-track performances in recent seasons," the Austrian added of the agreement. "We are pleased to welcome them to the Mercedes-Benz family and look forward to building a productive and performant working relationship in the years ahead."

Aside from the factory team, Williams and Force India are the other outfits supplied by Mercedes.

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/3173 ... from-2015/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Good news, now Romain and Pastor may go back to wrecking championship contenders :p

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

nascarf1indycar wrote:
Tobias wrote:
this venue does really look marvellous. I have no doubt the Russian GP will become an instant classic on the calendar.

a real people's effort. The Motherland can be proud.

So I guess you are a nazi too?

you are creepy.... just saying. 8O

Oi - we could ban you for that shit - have a warning instead! - dont do it again

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't see the link between nazi and Russia...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:32 pm 

they did have a brief alliance from 1939 to 1941.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:

Wasn't that the Soviet Union? I honestly don't know how separate they are considered as political entities. Most people wouldn't consider Germany under the Nazis as comparable to Germany today, for example.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:30 pm 

exactly. Hardly a relevant discussion. Isn't it time to bash the double points again?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:

Alliance doesn't mean that they shared thoughts. Basicly they were enemies who agreed not to attack each other. Soviet Union and nazis are like fire and ice. Germany and Italy also had an alliance, and though their ideas had more similarities, the Italians were not nazis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:32 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

https://twitter.com/andrewbensonf1/stat ... 4341879808

"FIA to introduce changes based on lessons from Bianchi's accident asap, focusing on slowing cars more under yellows."

Looks like the most sensible route.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:47 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

Nice little game here on the Telegraph Website.

Listen to 8 different engines and try and match the sound to each car.

I got 5 out of 8, got the Aston, Lambo and Enzo mixed up. Got the Bugatti and the 4 F1 cars correct.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... ngine.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The new Haas F1 building looks nice.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1253 254 255 256 257302 Next