TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1234 235 236 237 238302 Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:20 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Give the drivers a full tank fresh tyres and a pit board what more do they need.
Back to basic.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:25 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Fox wrote:
Apparently the FIA will ban Driving Instructor radiotransmissions.Already for the Singapore GP.

Just like: "Brake later at T5, Save Fuel in T9,save your Tyres for the next 5 laps,

For me that would be finally something good :thumbsup:

Based on Article 20.1 of the sporting regulations:

Quote:
“The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.”

German News:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 90905.html

English:

http://www.inautonews.com/fia-to-ban-ra ... A8tahb0WHs

That's really great news. But can the teams somehow pass through that? Like saying really sarcastically things like "absolutely no need to save ANY more fuel now and no need to LET YOUR TEAMMATE PASS YOU at any point. Just multi 12 and mode yellow six B for the next ten laps."

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DT for talking to driver...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
just ban radio, except for penalties

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Those sorts of radio messages never really bothered me to be honest, I quite liked getting the extra bit of insight on where drivers were gaining/losing time & how they were driving at that point with regards to fuel/tyre management.

Having said that I'm not really against them regulating those types of messages, Providing it doesn't have a negative impact on the racing.

The team radio messages has always been one element of the broadcast i've really enjoyed, Especially on the pits channel the past few years so I'd be against a total ban.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race
Stefmeister I know what you mean but that the Drivers are asking for Driving Instructions(Like Rosberg in FP @ Monza)is far over the top for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:53 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

Don't see it as a problem, I would do the same thing. Why wouldn't you ask the team for things you can't see inside the cockpit.

Oh well, it won't change a lot I guess.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess we may see an increase in coded messages. But it's about time these kinds of communications came to an end. Drivers should be using instinct rather than relying on pit wall instruction. But then again, F1's rules around fuel usage, etc.. is to blame.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:52 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Drivers managed it before. Sure some ran out but most managed to make it. We've seen them run close and stop after the line in recent seasons even with all this telemetry and radio contact.

"Felipe, your fuel is faster then you."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:40 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
this kind of ban is positive because when a driver face problems, he must not be able to solve with an engineers help, therefore DNF

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its a slippery slope if they ban those communications. For example, if the telemetry picks up an inconsistency in say the gearbox and the engineers give a message along the lines of "short shift on all gear changes, or avoid using gear 8" then that is driver coaching is it not? Or how about "you need to increase the gap to xxxx behind you by xxxx seconds" or "you are loosing ground in sector 1"?

If the teams have the telemetry to gauge the performance of the cars and drivers, why should they not be able to communicate that info with the drivers? Just ban telemetry all together then.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's what practice sessions are for. They can come back to the pits, study telemetry, feedback all they want, know their tyre and fuel usage, then on race day it's like an exam. You're all alone out there to apply what you learned during the week-end. If you fail, tough shit. If the car fails, well then welcome to racing.

Teams will not accept, or find a cheap trick to come around this, because at this day an age everybody runs their businesses like pussies and don't want to take any risk.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am 
Head Muppet

Montezemolo officially announces his exit from Ferrari: http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/monte ... rari-exit/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:54 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

webbsy wrote:
Its a slippery slope if they ban those communications. For example, if the telemetry picks up an inconsistency in say the gearbox and the engineers give a message along the lines of "short shift on all gear changes, or avoid using gear 8" then that is driver coaching is it not? Or how about "you need to increase the gap to xxxx behind you by xxxx seconds" or "you are loosing ground in sector 1"?

If the teams have the telemetry to gauge the performance of the cars and drivers, why should they not be able to communicate that info with the drivers? Just ban telemetry all together then.

This. It is completely unrequired and hasn't been thought through.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:42 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I was going to say he can go away and work on his tan, but by George that man has the most leathery looking face I have seen!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:30 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I think we are misunderstanding the banned radio messages.
Pretty sure they will stay but won't be aired on TV,so we have a better opinion and no more "let em race" attitude. But the engineers will keep suggesting the drivers what to do,it's impossible they ban something like this overnight.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:34 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
This. It is completely unrequired and hasn't been thought through.

Manny things in F1 arent tought trough..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DinoMarko93 wrote:
Pretty sure they will stay but won't be aired on TV,so we have a better opinion and no more "let em race" attitude. But the engineers will keep suggesting the drivers what to do,it's impossible they ban something like this overnight.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115776
Quote:
Following discussions at an F1 Strategy Group meeting at the Italian Grand Prix, it is understood a number of teams have asked the FIA to find a way of banning certain types of radio communications because they are considered a turn-off for fans.

Although there is little desire for a total ban on team radio, it is understood that efforts will be made to outlaw specific communications from the pits that help drivers with their performance.

This is likely to come from a strict enforcement of Article 20.1 of F1's Sporting Regulations that states: "The driver must drive the car alone and unaided."

The FIA could make it clear that any communication from the pits that helps the drivers with their performance - rather than being for procedural or safety reasons - is a breach of the rules.

The thing for me is that F1 is a team sport, Yes the drivers are the one's out there driving the cars but if the team can see from telemetry or the timing data that a driver is losing time in a specific sector/corner then for the benefit of the team why should they not be allowed to tell a driver where he's losing time. If by doing that it allows a driver to find that time & be more competitive which gives us a better race then why is it seen as such a negative?

The drivers are still the one's driving the cars, Even when told where there losing time the drivers are still the one's who have to go out there & put the data into practice by braking later, carrying more speed & getting on the throttle sooner. By been told he needs to brake later into turn 1 or whatever Max Chilton is not suddenly on the same level as Hamilton, Its still down to driver skill to figure out how to improve where there told they need to.

It happens in other categories so why should it suddenly be banned in F1 just because everyone within F1 want to ignore the real reasons why many fans have turned off or been unable to afford to tune in to begin with.

Last edited by StefMeister on Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:58 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

StefMeister wrote:
DinoMarko93 wrote:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/115776
Quote:
Following discussions at an F1 Strategy Group meeting at the Italian Grand Prix, it is understood a number of teams have asked the FIA to find a way of banning certain types of radio communications because they are considered a turn-off for fans.

Although there is little desire for a total ban on team radio, it is understood that efforts will be made to outlaw specific communications from the pits that help drivers with their performance.

This is likely to come from a strict enforcement of Article 20.1 of F1's Sporting Regulations that states: "The driver must drive the car alone and unaided."

The FIA could make it clear that any communication from the pits that helps the drivers with their performance - rather than being for procedural or safety reasons - is a breach of the rules.

It's clear that it is supposed to be banned completely. But do you really think it will be like this?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

DinoMarko93 wrote:
It's clear that it is supposed to be banned completely. But do you really think it will be like this?
Like the ban on team orders teams will likely find a way around it via coded messages or by just using the pit board.

Sergey Sirotkin will drive for Sauber in FP1 at Sochi.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1234 235 236 237 238302 Next