TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1233 234 235 236 237302 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
JJ wrote:
Small teams are essential part of F1. The most memorable moments of the series are those wonderful highlights of the small teams such as Stewart GP taking a victory, Webber finishing points for Minardi, Takuma Sato with Super Aguri overtaking Alonso or Force India getting a pole. I don't want to imagine a future where race after race the results will be like Mercedes, Mercedes, Mercedes, Ferrari, Ferrari, Red Bull, Ferrari, Red Bull, McLaren, McLaren, Williams, Red Bull, McLaren, Williams, Williams etc. :yuk:

Caterham/Lotus & Marussia/Virgin have been in F1 since 2010 and have done fuck all. Nothing notable except crash. One points finish in a high retirement race (which if the old points system was in place, wasn't a score). Both teams have been an embarrassment and never belonged in the sport. Only other exciting moment was when they were battling at Interlagos for 11th in the constructors for 15th or so position. Was like seeing 2 disabled people trying to box on with their shoelaces tied together.

What Formula 1 needs is pissant organistations with $20m, an apple 3 with 1 design program, a whim and a prayer. They need manufacturers who can outlay several hundred million a year and be competitive.

F1 won't change one slight bit if Caterham and Marussia go, apart from slightly less crashes (which I guess is why people are upset because they enjoy the carnage)

That's a fault of the sport, not of Marussia or Caterham, or HRT / Campos for that matter. All those teams were approved entries into the sport under a set of regulations and were then forced to change their plans when those regulations were dropped. That's hardly their fault. Yes there has been some ineptitude along the way, like Fernandez believing his team were better than they were and using the Toyota approach of throwing money at a problem, or like Virgin and the too small fuel tank. But all in all these teams have done a reasonable job versus the competitors with a substantially lesser amount of money. F1 needs small teams to build from. Manufacturers too often come and go and let's not forget why Caterham, Marussia and HRT / Campos were given entries in the first place... that was because the FIA wanted to ensure a healthy entry should any of the manufacturers depart the sport. And guess what... they did and then the sport looked after the new entries / replacements like dog turd.

F1 needs manufacturers but it needs a way to sustain itself when Red Bull and Mercedes boards pull the plug... when Caterham's investment fails to officially materialize and when Manor cannot find a new buyer because the Marussia car company was utterly fictitious. Three car teams will serve to do two things...

1) Make the rich richer... The wealth of F1 aka TV and prize money will be even more unfairly distributed. Plus Ferrari will get more air time and instead of one team getting dominant 1-2's we'll get dominant 1-2-3's... Whoop-de-fucking-do.

2) Team affiliations. This could be a positive but I'm not sure whether Williams will want to be a manufacturers whipping boy, sorry, junior team. Or whether it is sustainable for three or four manufacturers to essentially control the entire grid of 15-18 cars. When one manufacturer leaves then the sport immediately loses 3-5 cars. Who is there to pick up the pieces?

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:48 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have always maintained that the biggest threat to F1 is the fact that for the better part of 10 years the commercial rights of the sport have been controlled by investment firms, out to maximize their profits without actually doing much in the way of contributing to the spectacle of the sport.

I laugh everytime I hear of the issue surrounding prize money, you really think a company who bought the commercial rights to make a profit are going to give back the bulk of said profits? Not a chance.

Unless there is a stupid EU law against it, the FIA should have all control over the financial running of the sport through an independant and impatial body within their own organization, who's stated goal is to generate profits to be put back into the development and betterment of the sport. Something from the outside at least that we can not see CVC and FOM doing.

Also on adifferent point, I just wish that the FIA grew a pair and said, you know what, we are making the design rules more and more restrictive every year, so lets drop the pretending anh have a single make formula with the ability to customise certain components like Indycar. I'm just sick to death of seeing them bastardize the sport, just come right out and do it. After all I think that is their end game.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:18 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
kals wrote:
Plus Ferrari will get more air time and instead of one team getting dominant 1-2's we'll get dominant 1-2-3's... Whoop-de-fucking-do.

but firstly they must build a dominant car and they aren't near that

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I wasn't necessarily talking about Ferrari

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:19 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

now that makes more sense

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

whenever I see people bitch about Caterham and Marrussia I think these people keep forgetting that these teams where lured in with the promise of a budgetcap and that they forget its fucking hard to succeed in F1. Toyota had the biggest budget by far and couldn't score 1 win.

Are they really doing a terrible job? Considering the budget they have, not that much. Looking at budgets, Toyota did much much worse as they should have won titles with their budget.

Philthy82 wrote:
micha wrote:
cookie wrote:
hopefully the stupid rule about the cars of one team needing to be the same livery will be scrapped.

That needs to be scrapped regardless. liveries shouldn't even be the same for the entire season. If it's financial interesting to run multiple liveries on the car during the season, let them. I bet there are enough companies out there not willing to sponsor an entire season but would be tempted to see a car run in their colors at their "home" grand prix.

I agree liveries need to be opened up, but you also don't want it like NASCAR which has taken the different paint scheme every race to farcical levels. Maybe just allowing teams to run different sponsors per car.

But is that because the teams want to earn more money that way or because of the crisis we had/having most companies cannot and/or will not finance a team for pretty much the entire season?

If this does gets changed I don't see Ferrari, Mercedes and Red Bull do this with the occasional exception. McLaren probably will also fit into that group.
The teams that would use it the most are the backmarkers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 am 

StefMeister wrote:
Pictures of the work been done at Interlagos:
http://www.autodromodeinterlagos.com.br ... -de-fotos/

The upgraded facilities look quite good, good idea to have a wheelchair lift too....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:26 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

I think we have a winner to penalise cars running outside track limits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ferrari is in the pinnacle of sim technology

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

According to Mark Hughes Williams need to get permission from Mercedes to be able to use more power from the engine & when they want to use the overtake button.

They apparently don't usually get permission where there in a battle with a Mercedes but are encouraged to use more power when in a fight with other teams.

Perhaps helps explain this radio message from yesterday when Massa had Lewis behind him:
"OK Felipe do not use overtake. Do not use overtake for the minute"

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:23 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

That's ridiculous if it's true. If they buy engines for tens of millions they should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want with it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BrainPain wrote:
That's ridiculous if it's true. If they buy engines for tens of millions they should be allowed to do whatever the hell they want with it.

McLaren and Benetton 1993?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

It was kind of similar with Sauber 'helping' Ferrari in the 90s though. Although surprising for this sort of scenario to openly exist these days. I just hope it doesn't rob Williams of a legitimate race win that's all.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

A phew years ago it was perfectly normal to give customer cars 1 year old engines or with some updates behind. Now they get the same engine with some limitations, I don't see the big fuss. Mercedes have invested quite some money in those engines, I doubt they cover the costs with just 10 million dollar a year.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

BrainPain wrote:

It sucks but it would have been in the contract Williams signed, they didn't have to go with it. They'd probably be further down the pack without Mercedes engines.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:15 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

At least they don't have a

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:40 am 

codename_47 wrote:
At least they don't have a

What is that?

BrainPain wrote:

It's not ideal, but that saying comes to mind - 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you' comes to mind. Williams really need these results, & playing ball for the moment seems to be paying dividends.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:45 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

:JOEST:

Told ya, TBK dictionary or Key. Soon.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:55 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Tobias wrote:

I think we have a winner to penalise cars running outside track limits.

Well...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:39 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Location: let them make on all nascar tracks roofs,there u go, make roof like on a house and they can race
Apparently the FIA will ban Driving Instructor radiotransmissions.Already for the Singapore GP.

Just like: "Brake later at T5, Save Fuel in T9,save your Tyres for the next 5 laps,

For me that would be finally something good :thumbsup:

Based on Article 20.1 of the sporting regulations:

Quote:
“The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.”

German News:

http://www.motorsport-total.com/f1/news ... 90905.html

English:

http://www.inautonews.com/fia-to-ban-ra ... A8tahb0WHs

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1233 234 235 236 237302 Next