TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1176 177 178 179 180302 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ah ok, thx that's more logical. But given that Aston is currently working intensively working together with Mercedes, the chose for Honda again wouldn't be very logical :P. And Mclaren and Aston Martin (prodrive) are currently each others biggest British opponents as car manufacturers. So can't see them working together any time soon ATM.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:06 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fish88 wrote:
Ah ok, thx that's more logical. But given that Aston is currently working intensively working together with Mercedes, the chose for Honda again wouldn't be very logical :P. And Mclaren and Aston Martin (prodrive) are currently each others biggest British opponents as car manufacturers. So can't see them working together any time soon ATM.

Prodrive has always ran different projects with different manufacturers in parallel....

Early 90's - Fuji Heavy Industries contract Prodrive for Subaru WRC project but team also runs BMW BTCC team (plus Alfa for single year in 1995)
Late 90's - Subaru still in WRC and then Honda for BTCC followed by switch to Ford
2000's - Subaru in WRC followed by brief spell with Mini, Aston and Ferrari in GT racing and then Ford in V8 Supercars

I know we're just speculating, but this wouldn't be a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:09 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I wasn't thinking about any involvement from Prodrive, just a McLaren/Honda joint B-effort. One seat for Stoffel, one for AN Other.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Fish88 wrote:

Prodrive has always ran different projects with different manufacturers in parallel....

Early 90's - Fuji Heavy Industries contract Prodrive for Subaru WRC project but team also runs BMW BTCC team (plus Alfa for single year in 1995)
Late 90's - Subaru still in WRC and then Honda for BTCC followed by switch to Ford
2000's - Subaru in WRC followed by brief spell with Mini, Aston and Ferrari in GT racing and then Ford in V8 Supercars

I know we're just speculating, but this wouldn't be a problem.

Thanks. Although Prodrive has evolved since Richards Aston Martin ownership more and more involved into Aston Martin Racing (with a shitty Mini WRC/Dakar effort).

phil1993 wrote:
I wasn't thinking about any involvement from Prodrive, just a McLaren/Honda joint B-effort. One seat for Stoffel, one for AN Other.

Yeah seems most likely. I assume Stoffel (although 1 more year GP2 wouldn't be bad for him...) and maybe a Japanese driver (to satisfy Honda).

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So I'd also like to point out that the curse of Leafield strikes again... Teams to have sold, closed down or gone bankrupt having been based at Leafield are:

Caterham
Super Aguri
Arrows

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
Honda still have formula drivers in Japan?

EDIT: saw here, the other son of Satoru Nakajima is linked to Honda

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fish88 wrote:
Yeah seems most likely. I assume Stoffel (although 1 more year GP2 wouldn't be bad for him...) and maybe a Japanese driver (to satisfy Honda).

Izawa would be a strong probability.

Stoffel's ready for F1 already.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:54 am 

I think Renault could be a possible buyer for Caterham F1. If the rumours of Lotus leaving to use Mercedes engines are to be believed, then that frees up some money to run an F1 team coupled with the money they have in the bank. Renault really needs a team that can help them get feedback on the engines and how to improve them, instead of complaining and whining about them, *cough*Redbull*cough*

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:12 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And with Red Bull leaving them as well as that seems to become very likely with their public burning of Renault they don't really have a major partner.

But does Renault dislike Mercedes that bad?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think the answer lies here.

viewtopic.php?p=701451#p701451

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Since when has it been rumoured that Lotus were switching to Mercedes? And Red Bull are not dropping Renault. Not until at least 2016. The performance clauses in the Red Bull contract with Renault stipulate that date. Horner has even said that.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd agree with the point about the current circuits. There's little chance of a mistake coming to anything. In fact, we see drivers gaining time by missing the corners. We have lap times disallowed because of track limits. In the past, going off the track would cost you time or even end your race. I'm not saying that every little mistake should result in an almighty accident, but what we currently have doesn't even affect the race order.

Given how expensive motor racing is, I don't want to see cars destroyed every few laps. However, those incidents where somebody walks away from a big crash always get everyone talking. Like it or not, the danger is what attracts a lot of people to the sport.

What really annoys me is how the challenge is taken away year by year. I can understand why Eau Rouge or Blanchimont were paved. Any incident there is still going to be big. But Rivage, or Les Combes? Why? They punished mistakes but you could still recover from them. Remember Hamilton nearly losing the race at Spa when he went into the gravel at Rivage? Drama! Now he'd just lose a few tenths on the tarmac. How exciting... Hungary was never a favourite circuit but at least it was tight and tricky. Now, you can go off everywhere and not lose out. (Or you can get a retarded penalty for no reason, like Grosjean). Now we have Monza's going the same way at Parabolica. One of the most iconic corners in F1 history, now being tamed. Expect the Red Bull Ring to go the same way.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
it's not the end of the world set up a 2 meter wide grass strip along the revamped runoffs

dunno why they don't do that

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:33 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
I'd agree with the point about the current circuits. There's little chance of a mistake coming to anything. In fact, we see drivers gaining time by missing the corners. We have lap times disallowed because of track limits. In the past, going off the track would cost you time or even end your race. I'm not saying that every little mistake should result in an almighty accident, but what we currently have doesn't even affect the race order.

Given how expensive motor racing is, I don't want to see cars destroyed every few laps. However, those incidents where somebody walks away from a big crash always get everyone talking. Like it or not, the danger is what attracts a lot of people to the sport.

What really annoys me is how the challenge is taken away year by year. I can understand why Eau Rouge or Blanchimont were paved. Any incident there is still going to be big. But Rivage, or Les Combes? Why? They punished mistakes but you could still recover from them. Remember Hamilton nearly losing the race at Spa when he went into the gravel at Rivage? Drama! Now he'd just lose a few tenths on the tarmac. How exciting... Hungary was never a favourite circuit but at least it was tight and tricky. Now, you can go off everywhere and not lose out. (Or you can get a retarded penalty for no reason, like Grosjean). Now we have Monza's going the same way at Parabolica. One of the most iconic corners in F1 history, now being tamed. Expect the Red Bull Ring to go the same way.

Agreed. Rosberg has made mistakes and run wide in two of the races he's won. Hamilton did it in China too. It's a shame there isn't a bigger deterrent, because I think to win a race you need to be perfect for X laps. If you run wide, you've been sloppy but that hasn't been penalised. It doesn't promote exquisite driving, which - as Monaco proves - is something the drivers are actually capable of.

What I don't understand is putting down tarmac at corners where there's little chance of a big shunt. Doing it in some places, OK. But why put it all the way to the wall at Pouhon - why not have a few metres of tarmac, then gravel?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Where can you buy F1 merchandise? I can't find a Bottas 2014 cap anywhere on the sites I know of.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:59 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Front stretch @ Sochi

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthrea ... 08&page=20

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

They're going to have a minute of noise for Sir Jack Brabham at Goodwood very very shortly

live stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW0jJ1nVxVc

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:41 pm 
Permabanned

BrainPain wrote:
Where can you buy F1 merchandise? I can't find a Bottas 2014 cap anywhere on the sites I know of.

You need to wait ;)
http://f1store.formula1.com/stores/f1/p ... pid=153801
Available from 07/07/2014

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:05 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That's the team cap, not the driver cap. Here's what BrainPain wants (so do I)

I haven't found anywhere that it's on sale.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:32 pm 
Permabanned

kals wrote:

I haven't found anywhere that it's on sale.

Team cap only available for pre-order, not any other.
https://wmrshop.com/us/drivers-collection.html

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1176 177 178 179 180302 Next