TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1152 153 154 155 156302 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 12:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Rindt, like James Courtney crashed before the actual corner.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:14 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
but Rindt didn't crashed in the middle of the turn, but on the braking zone before

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:18 pm 
This place is Purile and Childish
This place is Purile and Childish

Hola.

Last weekend I was at the GP in Barcelona. All 3 days, it was a really cool experience! Here's some noteworthy points:
  1. The track is great. Great location (only a 30 minute drive from where I live in the center of Barcelona). Great views from the grass areas, overlooking several corners and without fences getting in the way. The organization was also very good, on the way to the track on Sunday there were no huge traffic jams, and after the race they set-up the roads differently so that you could get to the highway more efficiently.
  2. As a result the race was very entertaining for the fans. You could easily follow the battles between cars and keep track of what was going on.
  3. The driver parade was great. No shitty bus for everybody, historic cars instead, that was cool. They also opened the track right after the race and let fans get close to the pits.
  4. Related to this, I got close to the Merc stand and got to see their after race celebration. In what will be one of my favorite F1 memories, there was a bunch of fans along the pitwall shouting for Lewis to show up. Instead we had Rosberg come see and salute us, that was reaaaally cool from him. Lewis showed up 10 minutes later and waved us from high away before doing a u-turn and disappearing. I always liked Rosberg as a driver, but I must say that after this I like him even more. For all the stories about him being unhappy after the races and not smiling, he had a huge smile on his face and certainly looked like the friendlier guy...
  5. The Mercedes are ridiculously fast. I spent some time at turn 4 (that right-handed hairpin), and most cars would floor the pedal long after hitting the apex, and if they really floored it they almost all lost grip and skidded. The Mercs would accelerate sooner and floor it with no second thoughts. During the race you could visibly see them get away from the field and after 3 laps the gap was huge.
  6. Now about the hot topic: sounds. Weeell the sad and honest truth is that the F1 truly sound like shit. Their sound has none of the characteristics that one would enjoy (deep growl, high-pitched scream, loud backfire on gear shifts). When they accelerate they sound like your average joe's car with a cracked exhaust, and when they decelerate you can hear the turbo whistle but it's nothing dramatic. And the sound is really low, you don't hear the cars coming or leaving, you only really hear them when they're in front of you. When in packs it's kind of the same story. Having heard the V10s and V8s live, the new engines are really disappointing. Hearing the tires screech does not make up for it. I remember how in Singapore in 2012 the GP2 sounded loud until you'd hear the F1 who absolutely drowned them sound wise. Well it's now the opposite, the GP2/3 cars are much louder than the F1s. I won't say that it ruined my fun and that I'm never going again, but it kind of makes the cars look like they're not that fast, and having engines with a better sound would tremendously make the fans' experience better.

I took some pics during the weekend, here is an album with the best shoots :) http://imgur.com/a/iPudV

I also filmed a ton of videos, here is one of them so that you can see and hear how it is from the track: http://youtu.be/80PxdVO0zyQ

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
some nice pics you got there

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:34 pm 

Talladega wrote:
Hola.

Last weekend I was at the GP in Barcelona. All 3 days, it was a really cool experience! Here's some noteworthy points:
  1. The track is great. Great location (only a 30 minute drive from where I live in the center of Barcelona). Great views from the grass areas, overlooking several corners and without fences getting in the way. The organization was also very good, on the way to the track on Sunday there were no huge traffic jams, and after the race they set-up the roads differently so that you could get to the highway more efficiently.
  2. As a result the race was very entertaining for the fans. You could easily follow the battles between cars and keep track of what was going on.
  3. The driver parade was great. No shitty bus for everybody, historic cars instead, that was cool. They also opened the track right after the race and let fans get close to the pits.
  4. Related to this, I got close to the Merc stand and got to see their after race celebration. In what will be one of my favorite F1 memories, there was a bunch of fans along the pitwall shouting for Lewis to show up. Instead we had Rosberg come see and salute us, that was reaaaally cool from him. Lewis showed up 10 minutes later and waved us from high away before doing a u-turn and disappearing. I always liked Rosberg as a driver, but I must say that after this I like him even more. For all the stories about him being unhappy after the races and not smiling, he had a huge smile on his face and certainly looked like the friendlier guy...
  5. The Mercedes are ridiculously fast. I spent some time at turn 4 (that right-handed hairpin), and most cars would floor the pedal long after hitting the apex, and if they really floored it they almost all lost grip and skidded. The Mercs would accelerate sooner and floor it with no second thoughts. During the race you could visibly see them get away from the field and after 3 laps the gap was huge.
  6. Now about the hot topic: sounds. Weeell the sad and honest truth is that the F1 truly sound like shit. Their sound has none of the characteristics that one would enjoy (deep growl, high-pitched scream, loud backfire on gear shifts). When they accelerate they sound like your average joe's car with a cracked exhaust, and when they decelerate you can hear the turbo whistle but it's nothing dramatic. And the sound is really low, you don't hear the cars coming or leaving, you only really hear them when they're in front of you. When in packs it's kind of the same story. Having heard the V10s and V8s live, the new engines are really disappointing. Hearing the tires screech does not make up for it. I remember how in Singapore in 2012 the GP2 sounded loud until you'd hear the F1 who absolutely drowned them sound wise. Well it's now the opposite, the GP2/3 cars are much louder than the F1s. I won't say that it ruined my fun and that I'm never going again, but it kind of makes the cars look like they're not that fast, and having engines with a better sound would tremendously make the fans' experience better.

I took some pics during the weekend, here is an album with the best shoots :) http://imgur.com/a/iPudV

I also filmed a ton of videos, here is one of them so that you can see and hear how it is from the track: http://youtu.be/80PxdVO0zyQ

I have been there in 2010, 2012 and 2013 (also during wintertesting) and I completely agree with how visitor-friendly this GP is :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , accesible from everywhere, well organised and the venue has some great infrastructure. Alot better then all the other times I have been to a racetrack (except for Melbourne maybe which as also very well organised). Also the fan atmosphere is very nice and the Spanish (Catalan :think: ) crowd is very nice against foreigners despite we were waving around a Giedo vd Garde banner :p

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:18 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ellu wrote:
Talladega wrote:
Hola.

I have been there in 2010, 2012 and 2013 (also during wintertesting) and I completely agree with how visitor-friendly this GP is :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: , accesible from everywhere, well organised and the venue has some great infrastructure. Alot better then all the other times I have been to a racetrack (except for Melbourne maybe which as also very well organised). Also the fan atmosphere is very nice and the Spanish (Catalan :think: ) crowd is very nice against foreigners despite we were waving around a Giedo vd Garde banner :p

Yeah but how nice would they be if you started waving a Lewis Hamilton banner? :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:23 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Gaara wrote:
Rindt, like James Courtney crashed before the actual corner.

That's true :)

I just checked the photos I made from the plane and saw that the gravel is still there, no sign of Tarmac yet at the parabolica. Let's hope it will remain like that

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 7:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Talladega wrote:
Hola. [long post]

Great to see that it was an enjoyable experience. It's a cracking venue and much better than it looks on TV.

I was staying at a hotel just across from the circuit - unfortunately they closed the gate during testing which meant I had to walk about 30 minutes rather than the usual three or four minute walk!

I still think the V6s sound cool - the problem is that a lot of people, as you say, really like the noise. Making the V6s louder isn't an option.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I asked someone I race with in an online league about the Parabolica rumour (he lives a few miles from the track) and he said yes they plan to tarmac the runoff.

Take that as you will, there's a few months yet before the GP for them to complete the work.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:36 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:
I asked someone I race with in an online league about the Parabolica rumour (he lives a few miles from the track) and he said yes they plan to tarmac the runoff.

Take that as you will, there's a few months yet before the GP for them to complete the work.

Then ask him to camp out on the gravel trap and only move when they sign a contract to leave it.

#occupyparabolica

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:45 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Jack Brabham has passed away.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/motorsport/ ... zrgoj.html

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 11:53 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

I salute the legend that is Jack Brabham. Iconic.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:17 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Sad news :( , given what he achieved he's certainly one of the most under-celebrated F1 drivers

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 1:42 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

RIP Jack. Made large contribution to F1 and motorsport in general.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:38 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Paved parabolica would be very bad if someone hung a throttle or their brakes went...

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:51 am 

One of my favorite drivers of the era. He'll be sadly missed. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

No doubt he'll be catching up with these two

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:03 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

The Brabham team took it to the mighty Lotus 49 and won. One of the most successful teams in history. Real tragedy the way it all finished.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
RIP Sir Jack...One our most favourite Aussie sons. A record that surely will never be beaten.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:53 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

World Champion in your own car, that's an awesome achievement. RIP.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1152 153 154 155 156302 Next