TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 12:44 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1147 148 149 150 151302 Next
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's an age thing I'm sure. As you grow old some of your enthusiasm and passion for the sport ebbs away as you find other priorities in life

What I'm saying is... TBK'ers be growing up!

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:50 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Why didn't they just drill a couple of holes in the existing exhaust to make it louder?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:06 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I can't help but feel it's an embarrassment that F1 is even bothering to address the sound of the cars. If they were too loud, that would be different issue but this is just silly. I know it's less exciting for the fans at the track to hear a low buzz instead of the scream from years past, but is it really that big of a deal? The sound is the result of a new engine package, it's not as if it was the goal or intended consequence. It seems like a such an inconsequential and peripheral issue to be concerned about.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's a big deal for some apparently, although if I were the FIA I'd be more concerned with tightening up the rules.

Cars sound different? people will get used to it.
Cars look like 200mph dildos? nobody ever stops laughing.

How do they expect people to take them seriously when all but 3 teams have vibrators strapped to the front of their cars?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 1:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
How do they expect people to take them seriously when all but 3 teams have vibrators strapped to the front of their cars?

And those 3 teams are top 3 in the constructors. I'm hoping that means the other teams will ditch their Ron Jeremys as the season goes on.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Red Bull has a nose-knob

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:09 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hide it or not it's still there. A few other teams have tried the same trick, STR and Caterham come to mind. Perhaps Force India too. It's just the RBR nose is a little lower than most.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:52 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Red Bull's front wing is more like a Lorenea Bobbitt wing. The dick is gone but the balls are still there. Remove the balls from the wing, and the front of that Red Bull is actually a very very nice looking car.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:28 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
It's an age thing I'm sure. As you grow old some of your enthusiasm and passion for the sport ebbs away as you find other priorities in life

After so many years, we are most of the timevsatisfied with the highlights, because our brain thinks it can fill the gaps easilly as the races gets more and more repetitive for experienced eyes. Also, in the past there where less series to follow, and we did not get so stuffed with motorsport info.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:20 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
I can't say growing older has affected me tbh. I've only missed 2 or 3 races in the past 11 years and I'm just as keen to watch it now as I was then regardless of the current regulations and sounds.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
I can't help but feel it's an embarrassment that F1 is even bothering to address the sound of the cars. If they were too loud, that would be different issue but this is just silly. I know it's less exciting for the fans at the track to hear a low buzz instead of the scream from years past, but is it really that big of a deal? The sound is the result of a new engine package, it's not as if it was the goal or intended consequence. It seems like a such an inconsequential and peripheral issue to be concerned about.

This.

Also, I may be an exception in the motorsports fan community, but I never liked overly loud engine sounds in real life. It damages hearing, and makes motorsports annoying for thousands of people, square kilometers around, who just want to enjoy a peaceful sunday (they then get the authorities to shut up your track or tighten surveillance on local riding spots).

For me, loud engines have always conveyed a childish, immature image of assholes showing off their grown man toys and pissing off people around, for no reason, because you don't need an ear-damaging sound to get to speed and race fast.

F1 showed it this year, as well as all the electrical car and motorcycle prototypes, and if anything, it's a blessing.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:22 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

coldtyre wrote:
Chris A wrote:

This.

Also, I may be an exception in the motorsports fan community, but I never liked overly loud engine sounds in real life. It damages hearing, and makes motorsports annoying for thousands of people, square kilometers around, who just want to enjoy a peaceful sunday (they then get the authorities to shut up your track or tighten surveillance on local riding spots).

For me, loud engines have always conveyed a childish, immature image of assholes showing off their grown man toys and pissing off people around, for no reason, because you don't need an ear-damaging sound to get to speed and race fast.

F1 showed it this year, as well as all the electrical car and motorcycle prototypes, and if anything, it's a blessing.
I believe it's quite series and demographic dependent when it comes to the attitudes surrounding the noise of motor sport. I know with the V8 Supercars it has a very "bogan" image and a very large demographic are all about the loud, proud, thirsty and "manly" image of the sport and there would be an abhorrent backlash if they switched from V8 engines as a result. I think with the F1 fraternity this is less of an issue but it has been so ingrained that it's the pinnacle of motorsport which includes the sounds the cars make that people have not taken kindly as a result, even-though it's the best route to head. I honestly think people would be over it by mid year so the testing of the Vuvuzela is ridiculous and hopefully they will give up on the idea too.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 7:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Not if you're driving a Lotus

Wouldn't that be considered a DP ??

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:35 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

webbsy wrote:
Red Bull's front wing is more like a Lorenea Bobbitt wing. The dick is gone but the balls are still there.

Oh god I'm never going to be able to look at the front of that Red Bull in the same way again... :lol:

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 8:55 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Ecclestone Would Rather Die Than Give Up Job As F1 CEO, Banker Says

Quote:
F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone "would rather die in a pool of gasoline" than give up his position, a jailed former banker told a German court during the fifth day of Ecclestone's bribery trial, according to Lois Hoyal of the LONDON TIMES.

Gerhard Gribkowsky, who is serving an eight-and-a-half-year sentence on corruption charges, "received millions of dollars" from Ecclestone for "steering the sale of a stake in the motor sport to a buyer who promised to let Mr. Ecclestone keep his position." Gribkowsky: "Bernie Ecclestone would rather die in a pool of gasoline than give up his job as CEO of Formula One. It was clear that Ecclestone would stay on as CEO, exert his control and continue his life's work. Without him, the whole deal would not have flown." LONDON TIMES

In London, Rose Jacobs reported Gribkowsky "gave details of a conversation he said took place in 2004 in Singapore." He told the court that in addition to proposing the $80M sum, Ecclestone described the city “as the last safe harbor” for hiding money. While Gribkowsky said that he "did not take the offer seriously at the time," a year later “I grabbed the carrot.” Ecclestone, who denies the allegations, "listened intently to the proceedings, which are being translated for him in real time." - Financial Times

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:27 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ferrari wrote:
Ecclestone Would Rather Die Than Give Up Job As F1 CEO, Banker Says

Quote:
F1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone "would rather die in a pool of gasoline" than give up his position, a jailed former banker told a German court during the fifth day of Ecclestone's bribery trial, according to Lois Hoyal of the LONDON TIMES.

Gerhard Gribkowsky, who is serving an eight-and-a-half-year sentence on corruption charges, "received millions of dollars" from Ecclestone for "steering the sale of a stake in the motor sport to a buyer who promised to let Mr. Ecclestone keep his position." Gribkowsky: "Bernie Ecclestone would rather die in a pool of gasoline than give up his job as CEO of Formula One. It was clear that Ecclestone would stay on as CEO, exert his control and continue his life's work. Without him, the whole deal would not have flown." LONDON TIMES

In London, Rose Jacobs reported Gribkowsky "gave details of a conversation he said took place in 2004 in Singapore." He told the court that in addition to proposing the $80M sum, Ecclestone described the city “as the last safe harbor” for hiding money. While Gribkowsky said that he "did not take the offer seriously at the time," a year later “I grabbed the carrot.” Ecclestone, who denies the allegations, "listened intently to the proceedings, which are being translated for him in real time." - Financial Times

well, at least we know what to do next :D

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:18 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Scotty wrote:
18-20 year old me (4-6 years ago) would have crawled over broken glass to watch every race.

So far, I've only watched one race from start to finish this year, which was Bahrain. Others I've had the choice to work or hang out with friends, and chosen them.

I don't know why it's not exciting for me, the racing is, well, OK at best. I think I'm just growing old of it.

I used to stay up to 2am on Monday mornings to watch every all the european races, but now I really cba... like you the excitement isn't there anymore

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 10:45 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

kals wrote:

I don't think it's that simple. I've always been excited about two sports, motorsports and hockey. I've always loved to watch F1 and team Finland games and I've always found big emotions from both of these things. But this year F1 has been more boring than ever. It just don't seem to live up to the promise and expectations anymore. I think it's more about the combination of the stupid rule changes, stupid looks, apathetic sound, teams dying out and Mercedes domination rather than me getting old. The Hockey is still as awesome to watch as it has always been for me, but since F1's current condition I've turned more in to the hockey world.

It feels weird to think about it, but just half a year ago I used all my time watching F1, reading the news, going to this forum, playing rFactor and remembering my Monza visit. Now I find myself watching hockey, reading the news (first thing in the morning, check the NHL news and stats) and playing NHL14 while my Logitech G27 has been collecting dust.

Who killed the passion? Was it the FIA? Was it Teemu Selänne? I surely didn't grow old in six months for F1 and for F1 alone. Maybe F1 is a victim of it's own acts to sterilize the sports and covering the dents and dims with big money. Most of the lap records are now ten years old while hockey is faster than ever. F1 feels too restricted and artificial while hockey is wild and authentic.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm very fickle when it comes things I'm interested in. I can play Il-2 for months and think it's the greatest thing ever but from one day to the next I'm fed up with it and watching Farscape is the best thing ever until I discover something else. At one point things go full circle and I come back to Il-2.....
But one thing stayed a constant and that was F1. I left the club early to watch races, I watched everything from qualifying to the race. I even tried to pick up the warmup sunday mornings.
But now I couldn't care less if I miss a race. But I cannot really pinpoint where it has gone wrong. I think its because F1 is trying to position itself further away from the average Joe. Ticket prices are pretty high to insanely high. Going to places that have no real tradition with racing and only get the race because the other sheik is paying for it too so it seems. I bet they even demand to pay more than the other just because it's a status symbol for them.

Also, some of the current generation fans put it off for me. Complaining the likes of Caterham and Marussia have no place in F1 while the small teams played an important role back in the days and the gap between #1 and #3 was sometimes as big as the gap between #1 and #22 today.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I still try and watch every race, but the quali I'll stay in bed and sleep through instead of getting up early/going to bed later for.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1147 148 149 150 151302 Next