TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:22 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 196 97 98 99 100302 Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:00 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That last post makes as much sense as James Buecher's penalty in the Nationwide race.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:05 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Leave me alone I know what I'm doing.

In my own head.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

codename_47 wrote:
Bernie is the Speedworks of F1 tbh

Find something upon which everyone agrees (except maybe Eric Lux jajajajajajaja) then say the opposite to get in the papers.

Classic Bernie formula.

No gays and women should be in the kitchen cooking dinner not racing cars.
Anything else?

Bernie Ecclestone's reputation is dragged through the mud by a QC and he has been stripped of pretty much all of his powers, thus potentially destabilising the sport he has ruled for 40 years and leaving the future unclear.

Bernie Ecclestone agrees with Putin over gay rights.

It's classic Bernie politics, because which story gets the most attention?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Raikkonen's crash caught on tape.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5l6sP8FHFA[/youtubeidiot]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:35 am 

glorfindel wrote:
It just occurs to me, we have the driver combo we have all been waiting for! Nasr and Massa are at the same team, WOO! :lol:

hum, why?

Just because both are from the same country and named Felipe?! surely it can't be that :o

Btw, Nasr name is Luis Felipe. I don't know why he picked the second name. It is as if we would call Kimi by Matias or Button by Alexander.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:54 am 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

phil1993 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Find something upon which everyone agrees (except maybe Eric Lux jajajajajajaja) then say the opposite to get in the papers.

Classic Bernie formula.

Anything else?

Bernie Ecclestone's reputation is dragged through the mud by a QC and he has been stripped of pretty much all of his powers, thus potentially destabilising the sport he has ruled for 40 years and leaving the future unclear.

Didn't necessarily work, though, did it? His comments didn't make the BBC website at the very least...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:07 am 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

Artur Craft wrote:
glorfindel wrote:
It just occurs to me, we have the driver combo we have all been waiting for! Nasr and Massa are at the same team, WOO! :lol:

hum, why?

Just because both are from the same country and named Felipe?! surely it can't be that :o

Btw, Nasr name is Luis Felipe. I don't know why he picked the second name. It is as if we would call Kimi by Matias or Button by Alexander.

Because their first names are the same, their last names sound similar and I am easily amused by things like this. Nothing to be shocked about, I'm just being a bit silly.
We often see Brazilian footballers using a middle name, or one of when they have a lot of names. Maybe it's more common there? Can someone help with that?

Obviously one isn't racing so it doesn't really matter.

Edit. Autosport report that he is in discussions for a seat in gp2. This is good news.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:38 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

James B wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
codename_47 wrote:

Classic Bernie formula.

Anything else?

Didn't necessarily work, though, did it? His comments didn't make the BBC website at the very least...

Good for the BBC. Somebody is catching on.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:45 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Fish88 wrote:

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5l6sP8FHFA[/youtubeidiot]

Looks like JJ's capture makes it around

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:11 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Do you REALLY think Bernie is going to disagree with the Russian president before the Russian GP? Are we all so special that we think there's some hidden agenda.

And FYI, it isn't just Bernie. The Olympics did it with Russia AND China, and happily ignored human rights violations. Here's a news flash: sports promoters don't want to piss off the hosts.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The interesting thing I find with this is that very few news outlets have picked up on this and run with it, whereas it was headline news when it concerning the Olympics.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mattzel89 wrote:
Fish88 wrote:

Looks like JJ's capture makes it around

Found it on autosport forum, indeed with no mention of cappers.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:44 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
The interesting thing I find with this is that very few news outlets have picked up on this and run with it, whereas it was headline news when it concerning the Olympics.

Because really, more regular viewers care about the Olympics than they do what a man in charge of F1 says. We all love motorsport, but let's not make the mistake of thinking that everyone is as into it as us. Everyone knows what the Olympics is, but not everyone has even heard of Bernie.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:00 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

glorfindel wrote:
Artur Craft wrote:
glorfindel wrote:

hum, why?

Because their first names are the same, their last names sound similar and I am easily amused by things like this. Nothing to be shocked about, I'm just being a bit silly.
We often see Brazilian footballers using a middle name, or one of when they have a lot of names. Maybe it's more common there? Can someone help with that?

Yes it is well common around here for people to prefer to be known by their middle names rather their first names, and it's clear the same happens in Brazil where the culture is similar-ish. Same goes for surnames, see Ayrton Senna da Silva.

Senna's case was that "Silva" is just too common, bit like Smith in Britain, whereas Senna is much rarer, a more striking name. Re first/middle names, some people just like the sound of their middle name better than their first. Sometimes it's a case of mom picking 1st name, dad the 2nd (or the opposite) then different parts of the family prefer to call the kid by either name, and said kid ends up growing more of a like for one name over the other.

Portuguese and Brazilian names almost always are composed by 2 first names and 2 surnames, not like British and Northern/Central European names where typically you'd have first and last. So you get these particularities that sound odd over there but seem perfectly normal over here.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:03 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gene Haas is meeting the FIA this week and he should have a decision on Friday regarding a 2015 entry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:07 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

noikeee wrote:
Yes it is well common around here for people to prefer to be known by their middle names rather their first names, and it's clear the same happens in Brazil where the culture is similar-ish. Same goes for surnames, see Ayrton Senna da Silva.

Senna's case was that "Silva" is just too common, bit like Smith in Britain, whereas Senna is much rarer, a more striking name. Re first/middle names, some people just like the sound of their middle name better than their first. Sometimes it's a case of mom picking 1st name, dad the 2nd (or the opposite) then different parts of the family prefer to call the kid by either name, and said kid ends up growing more of a like for one name over the other.

Portuguese and Brazilian names almost always are composed by 2 first names and 2 surnames, not like British and Northern/Central European names where typically you'd have first and last. So you get these particularities that sound odd over there but seem perfectly normal over here.

Alonso as well is Fernando Alonso Diaz - Diaz being one of the most common surnames in mainland Spain.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:09 am 

glorfindel wrote:

Oh no, nothing silly about that imho. I just thought I was missing something ;)

Maybe it's better they never be racing together as I can easily see some commentators calling one by another's name and vice versa
noikeee wrote:
Portuguese and Brazilian names almost always are composed by 2 first names and 2 surnames, not like British and Northern/Central European names where typically you'd have first and last.

You're right that is very rare for an Anglo-Saxon(German or British) to feature two surnames but the double first names are far more common there, imo.

Button, for instance, is Jenson Alexander. Then you have Kimi Matias, Mark Alan Webber, Nico Erik Rosberg, Heinz Harald and etc.

But there are cases of two first names and surnames like : Lewis Carl Davidson Hamilton

PS: another one: James John Calado. Two English first names and a Portuguese surname. There you have somebody to root for noikeee :p

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Räikkönen's first name is actually hyphenated: Kimi-Matias. Apparently he doesn't have middle name like Häkkinen does: Mika Pauli Häkkinen. For the reason unknown he has dropped Matias. One can have 3 given names (with only 1 double-name) + 1 surname, so future Finnish F1 driver could be Mika-Valtteri Heikki Matias Salo. :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

OS wrote:
noikeee wrote:

Alonso as well is Fernando Alonso Diaz - Diaz being one of the most common surnames in mainland Spain.

However, the last name in Spanish is very rarely used anyway. Every hispanic name has 2 surnames, but only the first one is commonly used.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

amq55 wrote:
OS wrote:

However, the last name in Spanish is very rarely used anyway. Every hispanic name has 2 surnames, but only the first one is commonly used.

Indeed. Perez, Gutierrez and any other Spanish, Mexican, Argentine, Venezuelan etc. driver has another name we don't generally get to see. Good old Patriachy ...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 196 97 98 99 100302 Next