TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 176 77 78 79 80302 Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:03 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Is there a non-Twitter/Facebook/Blog link to it? Blocked at work unfortunately (thanks in advance)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Speedworx wrote:
Mäth wrote:
Now let's talk about something ugly :p

I always liked that version of the 96 Ferrari.

It was the later season version I didn't like:
[pic edited out]
The high nose never worked, imo

I'm with you on that.

I have a diecast of that 1996 Ferrari (low nose). It's such a strong symbol for combativity. Whenever I feel down or depressed, I have a look at it, and tell myself that if Schumacher could win races against Williamses in that piece of crap, then anything is possible :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:36 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

So. With all the emerging news about what a complete disaster the Sochi winter olympics are already and what a dangerous half-constructed deathtrap the entire area is, how long until the Russian GP is canned altogether?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:33 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
Verstappen was our most successful F1 driver but even he is a midfield driver, at best.

Even midfield drivers sometimes manage to score wins in the right car. Hell, Massa managed to occupy a seat in a good car for years.

I'm not saying he's the greatest driver ever but his career could have been a lot different with a different manager or if the Honda project wasn't canned. Where "could" obviously is the key word.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Wanna go back to 2014? :p

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Is that a 2010 car with 2014 nose?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:16 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

micha wrote:
Mika Kimi wrote:
Verstappen was our most successful F1 driver but even he is a midfield driver, at best.

Even midfield drivers sometimes manage to score wins in the right car. Hell, Massa managed to occupy a seat in a good car for years.

I'm not saying he's the greatest driver ever but his career could have been a lot different with a different manager or if the Honda project wasn't canned. Where "could" obviously is the key word.

I certainly agree with a possible victory for Jos, given the right car. But we also seem to agree that this would mostly be due to the car.

But how can we describe his '94 season then? I didn't watch F1 until '98 but was there really such a big difference in performance from both Benetton cars?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:24 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fish88 wrote:

It's a 2014-style nose but it's not the one that's on the E22 exactly.

It's an R25 chassis.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Rottengarter was a shitty manager indeed. But that can't be the only reason he was overlooked by F1 teams? When he drove for Arrows, Pedro De La Rosa managed to promote to Jaguar with Jos as a teammate, and Justin Wilson managed to get the Jaguar seat in 2003. Can't be all due to Huub.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
Fish88 wrote:

It's a 2014-style nose but it's not the one that's on the E22 exactly.

It's an R25 chassis.

FIA should give them a price for their recycling skills :flag: .

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:06 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

acopip wrote:
Wanna go back to 2014? :p

i've got a great idea. They should put a taser in the nose of their car, link it with the energy recovery system and us it instead of kers when you're behind another car to jam their electronic! :flag: :flag:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
But how can we describe his '94 season then?

Verstappen went straight from F3 to F1 in 1994 and was only due to be Benetton's test driver until Lehto's pre-season testing crash. To say there was a big performance gap is ignoring a lot of facts.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
But how can we describe his '94 season then? I didn't watch F1 until '98 but was there really such a big difference in performance from both Benetton cars?

without proper proof there is no way to tell but Letho, Verstappen and Herbert all claimed Schumacher had a very different, better car.

Fish88 wrote:
Rottengarter was a shitty manager indeed. But that can't be the only reason he was overlooked by F1 teams? When he drove for Arrows, Pedro De La Rosa managed to promote to Jaguar with Jos as a teammate, and Justin Wilson managed to get the Jaguar seat in 2003. Can't be all due to Huub.

According to rumors he could have signed for Jordan in their better days. Eddie gave them an offer and Huub demanded that a extra 0 was added to the salary. Eddie send him away and never talked to him again.
He doesnt have to drive for free but in his position asking 10x more was also insane.

Williams wanted him as a replacement for Zanardi but wanted a results clause. They refused and Williams went for Button.

Verstappen could have gotten a few nice seats but he and Huub grossly overestimated themselves.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
ellis wrote:
Is there a non-Twitter/Facebook/Blog link to it? Blocked at work unfortunately (thanks in advance)

copy the blocked pic URL and paste it to the imgur uploader, that's what I do while I'm at work

about Jos, always liked him because he tried to get more talent for crashes than de Cesaris

his crashes were always something with beauty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

micha wrote:
According to rumors he could have signed for Jordan in their better days. Eddie gave them an offer and Huub demanded that a extra 0 was added to the salary. Eddie send him away and never talked to him again.
He doesnt have to drive for free but in his position asking 10x more was also insane.

Williams wanted him as a replacement for Zanardi but wanted a results clause. They refused and Williams went for Button.

Verstappen could have gotten a few nice seats but he and Huub grossly overestimated themselves.

Never knew that, thx. Makes Huub an even worse guy than I already thought. Wasn't it Huub that also was behind the Jordan 2004 failure? I believe Perridon wanted to get rid of him back then because he wasn't helping.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:46 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

kals wrote:
Mika Kimi wrote:

Verstappen went straight from F3 to F1 in 1994 and was only due to be Benetton's test driver until Lehto's pre-season testing crash. To say there was a big performance gap is ignoring a lot of facts.

His first test in an F1 car for Footwork in late 1993 was very good, though - it's what the hype was built upon. It probably would've made more sense to stick a more experienced driver in the car rather than Jos, like Zanardi or McNish, but they went with him because he was genuinely very quick at the time. And he picked up two podiums in a shit iteration of the car too. His performances at Simtek the following year were impressive as well - after 1995, you'd have thought he'd be on for a decent career

The seasons that bring up question marks for me were 1996-98. He started 96 well and it can't have been easy for him with the change of ownership. But it tailed off into crashes. Then he was beaten quite comfortably by Salo at Tyrrell and didn't do an awful lot alongside Rubens at Stewart

Clearly he wasn't without ability - nobody gets to the verge of a podium or even winning in a Minardi without talent. I just think that he couldn't hack the pressure on track on raceday, which was probably a result of being rushed through the ranks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:02 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

But still, just as good as any of Behra, Amon, Brundle, Stuck, Warwick, de Cesaris, Andretti, Hailwood and Donohue. And Pescarolo, Elford and Courage. And Heidfeld.

Spoiler:
lol jk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

James B wrote:
kals wrote:
Mika Kimi wrote:

His first test in an F1 car for Footwork in late 1993 was very good, though - it's what the hype was built upon. It probably would've made more sense to stick a more experienced driver in the car rather than Jos, like Zanardi or McNish, but they went with him because he was genuinely very quick at the time. And he picked up two podiums in a shit iteration of the car too. His performances at Simtek the following year were impressive as well - after 1995, you'd have thought he'd be on for a decent career

The seasons that bring up question marks for me were 1996-98. He started 96 well and it can't have been easy for him with the change of ownership. But it tailed off into crashes. Then he was beaten quite comfortably by Salo at Tyrrell and didn't do an awful lot alongside Rubens at Stewart

Clearly he wasn't without ability - nobody gets to the verge of a podium or even winning in a Minardi without talent. I just think that he couldn't hack the pressure on track on raceday, which was probably a result of being rushed through the ranks

I think you misunderstand my post, which is purely referring to Mika Kimi's comment about Verstappen's 1994 season and the performance gap between him and Schumi.

Verstappen definitely deserved his place in F1 and his performances in 1995 and onwards showed why. 1994 was always going to be an uphill struggle considering his F1 experience was very limited and wasn't helped by the focus the team had on Schumi (understandable) and a second rate car (as you mention) given to him. That's my point.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 pm 
2012 F1 Pick-Ems champion

lol

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:15 pm 

kals wrote:

I think you misunderstand my post, which is purely referring to Mika Kimi's comment about Verstappen's 1994 season and the performance gap between him and Schumi.

Verstappen definitely deserved his place in F1 and his performances in 1995 and onwards showed why. 1994 was always going to be an uphill struggle considering his F1 experience was very limited and wasn't helped by the focus the team had on Schumi (understandable) and a second rate car (as you mention) given to him. That's my point.

Ah, yeah, never mind then

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 176 77 78 79 80302 Next