TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62302 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Silly question, but will we see big flames out of the tailpipes this year like back in the 80's?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:49 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Woodski wrote:
Silly question, but will we see big flames out of the tailpipes this year like back in the 80's?

Covered on Ted's notebook tonight.

Short answer: Nope, fuel is at a premium so they're not going to waste any on anything so theatrical.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 am 
This place is Purile and Childish
This place is Purile and Childish

micha wrote:
Frankly I don't care for the sounds if the racing is good.
If it's a boring parade each race no-one will care if the cars sound awesome either.

Have you ever been to a F1 race? Because what you're saying might be true for TV watching, but during races it is the complete opposite. I remember the Singapore GP in 2012. Grandstands filled with people who were only there because it was the cool place to be seen at. The racing itself was boring, yet everybody loved it, because "it was fucking loud". 95% of the cool factor was due to the sound of the engines. People here all say that the V8 sucks, but having heard both the V10s and the V8, I found the V8 to be even louder. And believe me, each time there was a GP2 session, compared to the F1 cars, they sounded pathetic.
The new sounds are utterly disappointing, honestly I'm thinking of going to the F1 race in Barcelona this year, but hearing these weak engines might make me reconsider it. If people stop going to races because of this F1 is gonna be utterly fucked.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:43 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Something interesting on Ted's notebook was regarding the 100kg/hour fuel flow limit.

The cars will actually carry more than just enough to finish the race within the 100kg per hour fuel limit as the fuel flow limit only applies from the moment the start lights go out upto the car crossing the line at the end of the last lap. So cars will have larger tanks to hold enough fuel to get to the grid & do the in-lap.

Also if a driver does go beyond the 100kg per hour limit it doesn't mean the car will simply stop as it won't have actually run out of fuel. Depending how much extra fuel they have in the car they could go beyond the fuel limit, Finish the race & then get a post race penalty.

The fuel usage will naturally be monitored in real time & teams will know if there going to break the limit. I've also seen it suggested that FOM may have an on-screen graphic for that as it was apparently discussed during a recent meeting between the teams & FOM.

Also watching Ted's Notebook tonight, The engine manufacturer's are doing a lot with the energy recovery & hybrid systems to assist fuel mileage.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:58 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Fuel saving in 2014 is going to be the tyre saving of 2013.

IE the one thing that everyone bitches about because instead of close finishes and close racing you're going to get the teams on the radio saying "Back off and save fuel"

And you think DRS passes are easy, how about someone in the lead because he ate up his fuel early on so backs it off and is cruised past by people who were more economical?

There better be a lot of unreliability in 2014 because I'm not altogether sure how close the racing is going to be.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:09 am 

Stef, isn't 100Kg the max allowed for the whole race, opposed to the typical 150kg we had on previous years?

I mean, if it is 100kg per hour, then they can start the race with more than 100kg even in Monza, the shortest race, time-wise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jason wrote:
ptclaus98 wrote:
I'd put my Force India nose in Ms. McKenzie.

Lol its funny because the nose looks like a penis and Lee McKenzie is a girl who has a vagina.

:flag:

More specifically because I'm black with hints of white, green with envy, and bleed orange.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:16 am 

gkmotorsport wrote:
They are actually the rear wishbones. Very interesting - according to Gary Anderson, McLaren have sidestepped the ban on the lower rear wing elements by shaping the suspension in such a way that it blocks the air coming off the back of the sidepods, which then creates a low pressure area to accelerate the air coming out of the diffuser. He also suspects that they will separate at speed due to deflection, which will reduce drag.

This could be a talking point - McLaren will say it is legal because shaped suspension arms are allowed, but I wonder if the other teams will agree if it proves to be advantageous.

In this shot you can see the wing-shaped wishbones quite clearly:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:42 am 
2012 F1 Pick-Ems champion

Any reason Perez changed helmets? I thought the black one was epic...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:47 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I've been reasonably positive about the McLaren and Ferrari (and would have about the Red Bull), but I reserve the right to say that that Force India is ugly as sin - not just the nose, the livery really doesn't work from anything other than the side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OYmVw2QjA&feature=youtu.be[/youtubeidiot]

:(

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

:( :( :(
But we will get used to it...
But we know it was (will be) better..

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 am 
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion
TBK Fantasy Football 2012/2013 champion

StefMeister wrote:
Something interesting on Ted's notebook.

Was there? It put me right to sleep, Ted's notebook at bedtime, the perfect sleeping pill.

Ok, a bit harsh, but last year he was able to bring technical info in a way that made it easy for people like me to understand and it was fun to watch. 2 men in a small room with a lap top talking tech, jeez, they didn't even sound interested. They just sounded tired.

Sky's coverage of this so far, very disappointing.

Probably the wrong thread for this, oh well.

Does anyone make pre season bets?
Vettel is obviously the bookies favourite, then Hamilton comes in at 4/1 the Alonso at 11/2. Kimi and Nico at 11/1 and 10/1 could be a good punt. Buttons odds dropped over night from 24/1 to 18/1. Weirdly Magnussens got longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:49 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Turbos are still better than those awful off throttle blowing sounds from 2011.

However, nothing can ever compare to to the V10's, even in this rev reduced form.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:12 am 

Is it just me or do the cars of 2014 look extremely slow? Last years they rushed by on the straight an disappeard into the distance like hell and now they seem to cruise past.
Also accelerating out of the corner... it all looks so slow.

Is is just because we're in an early stage of testing or what is it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 am 

This sound is a disgrace and an offence to the name Formula 1 and to its history.
As for sound importance, someone mentioned it is not really important. Well, just to give you an example, try to go to Monza on Lesmo 1 and listen to a f1 V10 or V8 passing by and compare it to this..this is like Hulkenberg said a DTM car in the shape of a Formula 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:42 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Quit whinging and being drama queens. :cry:

They sound nice, especially the Ferrari. No, they're not V12s and V10s but that isn't realistic in this day. I'm just glad those V8s are gone. :shudder:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

F1Peter wrote:
Any reason Perez changed helmets? I thought the black one was epic...

The top one looks unpainted to me - maybe the paint shop was running late?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

sebbl wrote:
Is it just me or do the cars of 2014 look extremely slow? Last years they rushed by on the straight an disappeard into the distance like hell and now they seem to cruise past.
Also accelerating out of the corner... it all looks so slow.

Is is just because we're in an early stage of testing or what is it?

Perhaps they are 'sandbagging' a lot, and not going 'all the way' on the straight... ?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

mclaren2008 wrote:
Turbos are still better than those awful off throttle blowing sounds from 2011.

However, nothing can ever compare to to the V10's, even in this rev reduced form.

I still think Ferrari's last V12 sounded better, but this is pretty glorious.

gian wrote:
This sound is a disgrace and an offence to the name Formula 1 and to its history.
As for sound importance, someone mentioned it is not really important. Well, just to give you an example, try to go to Monza on Lesmo 1 and listen to a f1 V10 or V8 passing by and compare it to this..this is like Hulkenberg said a DTM car in the shape of a Formula 1.

Are you erasing half of the 80s from F1's history, then? The sound isn't new. Also, why Lesmo 1? Surely all you'll hear there is a car shifting down and scrabbling through the corner - that isn't going to sound much different anyway!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 158 59 60 61 62302 Next