TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 56302 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

cambridge wrote:
kals wrote:
I don't agree. I think it's a coloured wrap around the nose, as opposed to being painted. The wrap has peeled off on contact with the wall.

can't it be one of those paints they use for aerodynamic purpose like viewing the fluxes of air around the nose?

You can see the peeled off bits kals is talking about, laying in the gravel in the picture where Lewis is getting out of the car (my Gode, that picture was posted this morning and it's already buried page 38)

Last edited by Coldtyre on Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
if I was able to make the grid walk, I would definately kick those wangs off to get a standing ovation from the crowd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:49 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Don't understand why people are criticized for wanting pretty cars. We all sit and laugh at stuff like the DW12, the early DPs, Formula E etc, but when F1 cars are ugly we seem to accept it.

We can have pretty AND safe cars you know. Just takes the rule makers to actually think about what they're doing. So if we could go back to normal noses that'd be greaaattt.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

It's no surprise Lewis's nose fell off, they seemed to have copied the useless way Ferrari used last year to fix the crossplane to the mountings.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:05 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Exactly, the traditional TBK forum "F1 has an issue, TBK posters respond by criticising those who complain about the issue just to be contrary rather than be seen to be on the same bandwagon as everyone else" posting is in full effect.

For me, the visual element is a big reason why I became a fan of this sport as a kid, I won't be made to feel bad for slightly wincing when I see all these cars for the first time.
Let alone the damage F1 will do with the casual fans who see F1 as an exotic sport, and part of the deal with things that are Elite the way F1 markets itself is they're usually better looking than the common stuff.

If even Adrian Newey, the master of maximising performance over any other element, including appearance, says things are getting out of hand, then they most certainly are.

But as I've said before, storm in a teacup, it'll hopefully be a big issue until the FIA sorts it out for 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:08 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Don't understand why people are criticized for wanting pretty cars. We all sit and laugh at stuff like the DW12, the early DPs, Formula E etc, but when F1 cars are ugly we seem to accept it.

We can have pretty AND safe cars you know. Just takes the rule makers to actually think about what they're doing. So if we could go back to normal noses that'd be greaaattt.

Argh, I don't know... I just don't get why people are all 'wtf every new car looks ugly, F1 is ruined forever' when we seem to be getting the most diverse grid for years. The Caterham is probably the most interesting car anyone has put out in years, and the Mercedes is a genuinely good-looking car. But then I don't mind the DW12, so my opinion should probably be ignored :p

You're totally right about the rules, though. I don't see why, if they wanted low noses and the same height bulkhead, they didn't just mandate a minimum and maximum angle, and only one direction of curve or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:12 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

hadn't noticed this at first glance

seems quite interesting? what is it, some sort of convergent double bottom to accelerate air and reduce pressure under the bottom car? or is it just the line of the normal cocque and those are only reflexes and bad light?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:14 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

What annoys me about it is that it's both an ugly 2012 stepped nose and an ugly 2014 dongle all in one!

Feels like a folding trestle table that hasn't quite been fully extended or something.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:21 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
but it would be perfectly avoidable those wangs. they could had said no by the crash tests

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:34 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

With all of these wangs hanging out, can't see any of the cars being allowed into Sochi this year.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:35 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jason wrote:
With all of these wangs hanging out, can't see any of the cars being allowed into Sochi this year.

Can you imagine Putin's rage if someone is rear ended during the Sochi GP? :ohmy:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:35 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Woah I have just seen some official footage of the testing with engine sound.

Goosssh horrible to hear........... :yuk: Cars may look ugly but the sound is even worse !!!

F1 as seen on television:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:44 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Jason wrote:

Terrible

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:47 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

StanV wrote:
Jason wrote:

Terrible

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The cars do look awful, but I'm strangely looking forward to this season more than the last couple. Everyone was freaking out about the engines, but they sound pretty good to me. We have a little bit of unreliability at the moment, and that could make the first few races rather unpredictable, and that's not even taking into account the rule changes that'll mix things up anyway. Kimi vs Fernando is going to be great to watch, and it'll be interesting to see how Ricciardo goes.

So ignoring the crappy cars, double points stupidity, DRS, and the continuing butchering of circuits, there's still a few things left to keep me interested.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:05 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Jason wrote:
StanV wrote:
Jason wrote:

Terrible

*redacted*

NSA planted that conversation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:09 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Judging from the first day, the sound hasn't convinced so far. And this Caterham neither, to be polite. And I'm really surprised of this massive lack of running, gonna be interesting how it'll be tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

All I can say is that I'm actually looking forward to this season a lot more than the last few. So, if I was losing enthusiasm by race 3, now it'll probably be come race 5 or 6.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:23 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

I feel less annoyed about these than the 2012 stepped noses, mainly because of the variety this year, but also because after that I pretty much gave up any hope in seeing pretty F1 cars again. 2012 seemed like more of a slap in the face at the time

That said, I've gradually grown to hate the post-2009 wing sizes anyway, particularly the rear wings, so I'm not sure it really makes any difference. I'm just resigned to them all looking shit, so any variety amongst the field is a bonus

I like the sound, though. It's different but it's nice. I think that's the problem - any slight change and people immediately whinge about things being different, regardless of whether or not it's an improvement. We all make snap judgements, obviously, but not always negative

Last edited by James B on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:25 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

Here's the video of day 1 with engine sound (well it's so horrible to listen to them now, well now you'll be able to judge by yourself).

If anyone posts the video somewhere else (YouTube, RU or hosting it on another server), I'll stop sharing those videos, it's only for TBKers. So enjoy it. ;)

Filename: 2014_F1_Jerez_Testing_28012014.avi
Duration: 2 min 51 sec
Size: 28,732 KB

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 152 53 54 55 56302 Next