TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:43 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5302 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:37 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Grosjean's choices are 8, 29 or 11.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I still believe that they can do the nose a bit wider without losing performance

if the tires get conservative, Mercedes might win a lot, dunno about tilkedromes where vettel gets far far advantage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:43 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Can't see that elongated nose puncturing a few tyres next year...

Oh wait, yes I can see that easily.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:54 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Can't see that elongated nose puncturing a few tyres next year...

Oh wait, yes I can see that easily.

You and me both.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:08 pm 

What was the rationale for the longer/lower nose in the first place, is it supposed to prevent cars from climbing on top of one another in a collision?
And if that's the case, does that part of the bodywork have to pass any sort of crash test? It looks to me like it would just break off in an accident...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:42 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Look I know that we haven't seen a real car yet and that these are just artist impressions, but when the designers are saying that the cars are going to be ugly, you kind of have to go with what we have seen so far.

I feel that the FIA is pushing these more onerous and quite ridiculously aesthetically unpleasing rules on the teams to get a fan reaction that would eventually pave the way for some sort of standard spec aero parts. I also think they will use the cost issues to reinforce this.

Just look at the absurd double points rule, originally Bernie proposed last 4 races, he wanted to get his compromise and got it. This I feel is the same.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:39 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I quite frankly don't care what the cars look like, as long as the racing is good.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:05 am 

Scotty, I'm not sure I understand how it's going to work in a T-bone type crash (must be complicated) but you're probably right. My explanation of it being to prevent cars from taking off was just the best guess I could come up with, not really something I read or heard before.

Now, call me crazy but on the whole, I think the 2014 cars' proportions are more aesthetically pleasing than last year's. I was not a fan of the extremely high noses and wide front wings. It's unfortunate that they left a glaring opportunity for this 'finger nose' even though teams saw it coming almost immediately and supposedly even warned the FIA. I'm afraid that, unless the regulations are changed, many or most teams will have the end of the nose at the absolute minimum width with a wider section higher up (a clear step change in width) to direct as much air under the nose as possible. But other than that I like the lower bulkhead and nose and the narrower front wing a lot.

I also hope relocating the exhaust proves to be an effective measure against EBD designs, but who knows what the teams will come up with on that front.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:11 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

what sort of difference in laptime can we imagine? Eg. pole in Australia was a mid 1.27 last year. Maybe add, say, half a second to a second to that?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:11 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Scotty wrote:

Here is a good idea of what the cars will look like: it has been designed and rendered within the static dimension regulations.

Within the dimensions yes, but I highly doubt that we are going to see that (the nosecone section).
The designers aim is to get as much air as possible underneath the car. Obviously due to the regulation changes (lowering the front of the chassis and lowering the nose) they are losing a lot of potential air already. So this is basically why these thin nose tips will certianly be introduced next year as these won't "block" the airflow at the front as a wider nose would do. And I believe the impression Piola had will be the most prettiest next year. I'm expecting much more worse looks.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:20 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I for one actually do care that the cars should look the part, and Scotty the front of that Red Bull looks like an absolute piece of shit. Now if teams came up with this idea completely separate from the FIA limiting what they could do, then I would feel less upset about it, but they haven't. They have been given very limited paramaters to work with meaning that this is the most likely scenario.

I would be absolutely chuffed if I was proven wrong and they didn't go down that route or they actually look good in real life, but highly doubt it.

Don't wanna be a told you so kind of person.....but I told you so haha. These are the first two items that came up on my very "ugly" google search "Adrian Newey ugly cars". So yes, he has been quoted as saying they will be ugly.

http://fortyonesix.com/blogs/1544/adria ... 4-red-bull

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2013/11/15/2 ... ars-newey/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oh god, I also think the Indy Cars are horrible. That's why I am so apprehensive that these cars don't end up looking like their cousins.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:58 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

Scotty wrote:
Come to think of it, are any top line racing series producing nice cars anymore? I personally think the Indy Cars look terrible (and the ones before were horrible bathtub looking things), LMP cars all have the horrible shark fins, and are combined now with Delta Wings and Zeods and so forth, Formula Nippon cars look awful, GP2 cars are terrible. Guess that just leaves GT cars (depending on taste, I don't like the look of the Z4, SLS AMG, Porsche and so forth)

My avatar

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:48 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If all cars have that penis hanging on the front, can't the FIA just say "screw the rules, let's all cut that ugly part of the car because this is silly, we didn't achieve what we wanted with this rule and we'll make it better for next season"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:01 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

FIA will probably introduce a minimum width for the nose tip in 2015.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:03 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

cookie wrote:
If all cars have that penis hanging on the front, can't the FIA just say "screw the rules, let's all cut that ugly part of the car because this is silly, we didn't achieve what we wanted with this rule and we'll make it better for next season"

The way the front is shaped influences the entire airflow and therefore the rest of the car. I doubt the teams will be happy with such changes.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
every time they go to define and sign concorde agreement they add an article stating that "all cars shall get uglier year by year"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Echti wrote:
FIA will probably introduce a minimum width for the nose tip in 2015.

They should have done that years ago, it's amazing that every year there's some plughole in the regulations that people can exploit, you'd think after all these years they'd have learnt how to write watertight rules, or maybe that's the reason they've offered Ross Brawn a job?

Anyway I think the theory behind the lower nose is the principle that it's easier to recover from a broken leg that it is have the nose of another car impaled in the side of your chest, maybe they've identified a weak spot in the side of the tubs or some other theoretical type scenario they're trying to avoid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:19 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

No, they will do it during the season. Its becoming standard that FIA changes rules during season...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:16 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Call me superficial but yes I do care a hell of a lot what the cars look like, when I was a small child it was the first thing that caught my attention and made me keep watching the TV channel with F1 on, seeing the good looking cars race fast.

That said, I'll reserve judgement until I see an actual physical car and not just a cgi rendering before making my mind up.

Still, the ugly shark nose were one of the few things that were wrong with the 2012 season and that's still one of my all time favourite seasons, so as others have posted, if the cars look like shit but the racing is as good as 2012, I'm sure I'll get over it ;)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6033 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5302 Next