TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2040 Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh for fucks sake. Let's leave the speculation be shall we? I refuse to believe the hearsay scaremongering from scumbag hacks. It is not our right to need to know Michael's condition and rehabilitation, we are not his family or his friends.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yeah, fuck all the millions of fans who want to know if their hero for decades will ever be able to function like a human being again.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:23 pm 
German Touring Car Series #1 Fan

We're unlikely to get any official press releases for now so there's no point holding out for one. As Ian said, we've been left in a position where we can only either look at tabloid reports or stick your fingers in your ears and go "la la la"

Michael's media team has always been very protective but this is too far now - they're causing more problems by saying nothing than by saying something every few days. It looks like the only times we're likely to get an official statement from now on are to either say he's fine or he's gone

Bild have been pretty accurate so far. Unfortunately they're probably right here too

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mäth wrote:
Speculations have even reached Québec. TVA Sports is reporting that, according to Bild, who didn't not reveal sources, Schumacher may have suffered from lung infection last week.

http://tvasports.ca/courses/le-sort-sac ... r-12022014

I told them on their FB page to STFU when we don.'t have official press releases

@former_f1doc
Quote:
Because of how it interrupts normal protective mechanisms, respiratory tract usually colonised within 72-96h after intubation. In this context, pneumonia(s) is (are) the rule not the exception. I'm not minimising them. ut this is certainly somewhere where Michael's superb pre-injury condition and resiliency will pay off big time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:13 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I just hope to see him on the next series of Top Gear talking about his experience and doing another lap on that Suzuki Liana

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

BrainPain wrote:
Yeah, fuck all the millions of fans who want to know if their hero for decades will ever be able to function like a human being again.

Except that's far from what I've said, is it now? Good way to take my comment totally out of context. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:30 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Karan wrote:
Mäth wrote:
Speculations have even reached Québec. TVA Sports is reporting that, according to Bild, who didn't not reveal sources, Schumacher may have suffered from lung infection last week.

I told them on their FB page to STFU when we don.'t have official press releases

@former_f1doc
Quote:
Because of how it interrupts normal protective mechanisms, respiratory tract usually colonised within 72-96h after intubation. In this context, pneumonia(s) is (are) the rule not the exception. I'm not minimising them. ut this is certainly somewhere where Michael's superb pre-injury condition and resiliency will pay off big time.

Pneumonia has been denied by Sabine Kehm when interviewed for DPA. No other comments...apparently.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:15 pm 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

kals wrote:
BrainPain wrote:

Except that's far from what I've said, is it now? Good way to take my comment totally out of context. :thumbsup:

I hate to sound like a pensioner who is new to the internet, but the use of strong language doesn't really help the situation from either side's standpoint. Just though I'd throw that out there.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:31 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fair point Esben, although I should say that wasn't aimed at anyone in particular. Rather just sharing honest frustration at seeing far too much unsavory speculation.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:50 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Well, doctor Hartstein is speculating and yellow media is "speculating". I think we're all here closer to doctor Hartstein - realistic but still positive, waiting for the official news rather than going down to the mean spirited, magazine selling "speculations". I don't like the idea of "shut up and wait for official news" when we are sharing our thoughts and prayers that are closer to doctor Hartstein's professional view rather than the yellow media's shitty topics. We're all in the same team in here with this. None of us has said a single negative thing, unlike what yellow media and their internet forums have been doing since the day one.

The way I see i is that we're all here hoping for good out come, while being realistic and frustrated for the lack of good news.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:20 pm 

It's worth bearing in mind that Hartstein is essentially saying what Bild have published is probably true. The trick is not to tar all the tabloid stuff with the same brush. Just use a bit of common sense. If they're citing sources close to the family, it may be true (in Bild's case, it's likely to be true). If they're citing some brain surgeon with no connection to the case whatsoever, treat it as what it is: speculation. Ultimately, the definition of speculation is guessing, and it should be pretty easy to tell the difference between when someone is guessing and when someone knows something about what's actually going on

The important thing is to read what they're saying - or, in some cases, what they're not saying. Dismissing stuff out of hand just because it's from Bild or wherever is stupid

Last edited by James B on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

NVirkkula wrote:
Karan wrote:
Mäth wrote:

@former_f1doc
Quote:

Pneumonia has been denied by Sabine Kehm when interviewed for DPA. No other comments...apparently.

Where did you read that? I'm not saying you're wrong but what I read was that Sabine simply said that any unofficial reports are simply speculation and that she wasn't going to comment on them. She didn't deny or confirm whether he had pneumonia. So like everyone else, I'm not sure what the real story is here...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:34 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Karan wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:

Where did you read that? I'm not saying you're wrong but what I read was that Sabine simply said that any unofficial reports are simply speculation and that she wasn't going to comment on them. She didn't deny or confirm whether he had pneumonia. So like everyone else, I'm not sure what the real story is here...

I read this from one Finnish sports website. The direct quote is exactly what you said about that "any unofficial reports are simply speculation" but the title said that the news about pneumonia was false alarm and that Sabine Kehm confirmed that there is no pneumonia.

So either it's bad written article or making assumptions based on the quote but it does give an impression that the pneumonia is not true.

Here's the article.
http://www.sportti.com/uutinen.asp?CAT=1-1&ID=258784

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Latest official statement, courtesy of Jennie Gow
Quote:
Michael’s family would like to again express their sincere thanks for the continuous sympathy coming from all over the world. The good wishes they receive help the family and, we are convinced they also help Michael, who still is in a waking up process.
As often in such situation no day is like the next. The family is thankful for one’s understanding that they would not wish to disclose medical details in order to protect Michael’s privacy. As assured from the beginning we will continue to communicate any decisive new information on Michael’s health state. We are aware that the wake up phase can take a long time.
The family continues to strongly believe in Michael’s recovery and place all their trust in the doctors’, nurses’ and nursing auxiliaries’ team. The important thing is not the speed of the recovery but that Michael’s heal process progresses in a continuous and controlled way.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:31 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Reading between the lines there, it might seem to suggest that there is some truth to the Bild reports then i.e. waking up phase still ongoing with possibly a lack of expected response thus far :/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:14 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm reading in the news here that the police are investigating Schumi's helmet to check if its structure was weakened by mounting the camera on it.

I'm no expert on this matter but as I own a GoPro I know the helmet mount is attached by tape to the helmet. Would that even have any effect on the strength?
If it was bolted on I could understand. Especially if they drilled holes for the mounting.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:38 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Quote:
The investigation into former Formula 1 champion Michael Schumacher's skiing accident has now been closed.

A probe was launched last month following the seven-time champion's accident in the French Alps at the end of December.

Albertville prosecutor Patrick Quincy, the man in charge of the investigation, said on Monday "no person has been found guilty of any violation".

"The investigation into the causes and consequences of the December 29 skiing accident of Michael Schumacher ... has been closed on February 12," said Quincy in a statement.

Schumacher underwent two operations and has been in a coma since the crash.

Doctors in the Grenoble hospital where Schumacher is being treated said at the end of last month that they were starting the waking up process.

No further updates on Schumacher's condition have been released since then.

F1 teams showed their support for Schumacher during the recent Jerez tests, with Ferrari creating a special pitboard (pictured) and Mercedes running the message '#KeepFightingMichael' on its cars.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Scotty wrote:
micha wrote:
I'm reading in the news here that the police are investigating Schumi's helmet to check if its structure was weakened by mounting the camera on it.

I'm no expert on this matter but as I own a GoPro I know the helmet mount is attached by tape to the helmet. Would that even have any effect on the strength?
If it was bolted on I could understand. Especially if they drilled holes for the mounting.

Not in the slightest. If anything, you could arguably say it could have increased the strength, albeit, by 0.0005%.

The cracking in the helmet was most likely caused by the low temperatures. Saw it in the snowboarding slopstyle event at Sochi, a Czech competitor had a cracked helmet after a fall.

And the Czech lady hit her head on snow while Michael hit the rocks. I've been doing winter sports since kid and I think that some of the helmets in the market are not that far away from hard hats. People joke that a fur hat is better because it doesn't broke in two if you fall so you don't have to buy a new one everytime.

I don't know what kind of safety ratings they have, but probably the ski jumping helmets are the strongest in the market. What is common for most of the helmets is that they have very little amount of soft padding. This is similar with some of the cheap snowmobile/motocross helmets. There's been some accidents where the rider has suffered serious head injuries even though the accident itself was not seemingly that bad. The padding is important to absorb away the energy and I think skiing helmets are designed to be light and aerodynamic more than capable to take rare heavy impacts. Just my point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:39 pm 

Massa opens up over Schumacher visit

Quote:
“I always try to be optimistic,” Massa said. “I saw him, I talked to him, I was telling him everything I did in Jerez – about my car, the new team and everything – I was telling him to wake up many times… I'm positive. I think we need to believe. He's a very strong man, a very great man and I really hope he can wake up and I really hope he can enjoy his life again.

“It's always very difficult to say because I have zero experience about what the doctors say. I saw him and I was very happy to be together with him for a very long time, talking to him and trying to give the best energy and just help him.”

Asked how Schumacher looked when he visited, Massa said he took hope from what he saw but stressed he couldn't give any predictions or updates on his condition.

“He's sleeping and I was very positive because he was normal. He looks normal and he also gave some reactions with the mouth and everything. So it's positive to look at him. But I have no experience to say anything. I'm not a doctor. But when I saw him, for me, it looked very positive.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:55 pm 

Location: Stuttgart, Germany___ [joined TBK: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:49 pm, had 1736 posts]
Anybody got their hands on the ski crash video?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 2040 Next