TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1740 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Shit. Here's hoping.

Guess we all have our stories and memories to tell. I became a fan in 1998, so during the last few laps of the Japanese GP in 2000 I actually sat on my knees as he came home to win. I so almost wrecked my old boy room when he stalled on the start 2 years earlier. Never saw him race live. My dad made me a promise if I finished high school he'd bring me to a race. When I did in 2005 and reminded him of the promise, he couldn't afford it. Never been to a event to date.

Rather vainly and for comfort I always skied without helmet, won't anymore. Even though anything can happen.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:47 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

NVirkkula wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

Just read this and my heart sank. :(

This image was the first thing that came to my mind after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuXaj_RFc8

I have no good words to say what I feel precisely, but back in the day I wanted him to come second, now I want him to win this one. Come on Michael!

I was that day at the Nürburgring and took this photo...

FIGHT!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:19 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I like these videos of Schumacher:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDA5MDM5NTQ4.html

That 1991 WSC race at Autopolis was removed from youtube a while ago for some reason. It was a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

One of his inspirational moments...

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdrxpcH2m30[/youtubeidiot]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:30 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYK6h07xPXc[/youtubeidiot]

14 years later and i'm still shaken, watching this moment. That was one fantastic day :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:10 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

NVirkkula wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

Just read this and my heart sank. :(

This image was the first thing that came to my mind after.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXuXaj_RFc8

I have no good words to say what I feel precisely, but back in the day I wanted him to come second, now I want him to win this one. Come on Michael!

thanks for your post. A bit off topic perhaps, but Hakkinen conceded that place way too easily. Didn't even attempt to block the move. Compared to his classic on Irvine two years before, this was very poor. Almost as poor as his drive the year before.

I'm a big Hakkinen fan, but his fans always knew that rain would not favour him.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:26 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

coldtyre wrote:
One of his inspirational moments...

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdrxpcH2m30[/youtubeidiot]

Very first F1 race I ever watched, what he did that day cemented me as a Schumacher fan

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:29 am 
Head Muppet

I saw him drive in person 4 times, and those 4 times he won at Indianapolis 2000, 2004, 2005 and 2006. He was my favorite F1 driver growing up. I hope he can come through this.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:36 am 

I never was a fan, but can't possibly wish this to happen to anyone. Hope he recovers to the degree which is possible.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:53 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Tobias wrote:
thanks for your post. A bit off topic perhaps, but Hakkinen conceded that place way too easily. Didn't even attempt to block the move. Compared to his classic on Irvine two years before, this was very poor. Almost as poor as his drive the year before.

I'm a big Hakkinen fan, but his fans always knew that rain would not favour him.

If I remember it correctly, at the rate Schumacher was catching Häkkinen, Mika probably knew that it was only inevitable that Michael would take the lead in those conditions and he focused on his own drive. He didn't make any dodgy moves that day, but at Spa he fought back later on that year.

But that's all for another topic.

Coulthard's first words about Michael's accidents are starting to get eery echo as the time goes by: "The truth is I do not believe that Michael has ever truly received the praise or recognition that his stunning achievements merited. And I say that now with the benefit of hindsight."

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:56 am 
This place is Purile and Childish
This place is Purile and Childish

Can we wait for him to die before we start posting videos, inspirationnal moments and stuff? I find it incredibly creepy to say "be strong" and then immediately post his obituary. My 2 cents.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:54 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Talladega wrote:
Can we wait for him to die before we start posting videos, inspirationnal moments and stuff? I find it incredibly creepy to say "be strong" and then immediately post his obituary. My 2 cents.

Depends on your viewpoint, can be seen as pessimistic obituary, can also be seen as a reminding ourselves of a great driver and man so we can send our best thoughts and wishes to him and his family.

Nothing we do either way on an internet forum is going to matter diddly squat to if MS recovers or not. But we can still remind ourselves of the good times and band together in hope of a good outcome, even if to those less optimistic it looks like an obituary.
(Everyone is welcome to their opinion on it too, it's too tragic a situation to get bogged down in arguments about who is doing what, tbh)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:59 am 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

Never wrong to reminisce about a great driver.

I never was a Schumacher fan, so the 2006 wasn't a lot of fun when he re-established himself at front the way he did. But holy shit did he do it with style. In hindsight, de Montezemolo was an idiot to force him out in favour of Kimi.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I actually agree with Talledega on this. There's nothing wrong with reminiscing but some of the stuff that's been posted in the past few days is in the tone that Schumi is gone. It is somewhat uncomfortable reading.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No, this is what is uncomfortable reading:
Dr Gary Hartstein wrote:
First off let me say that it is EXTREMELY unlikely (I’d honestly say virtually impossible) that the Michael we knew prior to this fall will ever be back.
I think that it will have to be considered to be a triumph of human physical resiliency, and of modern neurointensive care, if Michael is able to walk, feed himself, dress himself, and if he retains significant elements of his previous personality. If recovery proceeds to this point (which is totally POSSIBLE, if perhaps rather improbable), it is an open question as to how well the “higher functions” (memory, concentration, reading, planning, etc) will recover. Please note, I would love to be proven wrong about this!

The man of flesh and bone might not be "gone" in the strongest sense of the word, but the top-form enthusiastic athlete who inspired us is likely gone.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:09 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Exactly! People share good memories about living people too, especially when it's time to try be positive and hope for good things to happen. A person who deserves a credit should get it when he's still with us, not after he's dead. This should not be taken as "in memoriam"-speech, whilst it does have similarity in this particular case.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yes I've been reading the updates and am aware that people are sharing good memories, which is understandable. But the majority that's been posted has had a rather morbid undertone. I find that not only uncomfortable but also quite disrespectful to Michael.

Some of you should bear in mind that other people here at TBK may have had first hand experiences of loved ones in comas and the after effects. It doesn't always end badly you know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:37 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Scotty wrote:
It is a bit weird, it a sort of sense it's like saying "all the best, hope he recovers" and "rest in peace" in the same sentence.

I personally don't want to see the man go out this way. I wasn't a schumi fan either, but a man of his strength does not need to go out full of tubes and machines, unable to respond to any form of human contact. It's hard to say, but I hope he goes out sooner rather than later, if his unrecoverable state is true.

I couldn't agree more with you here. As awful as it sounds, this may be the only reality in here. There's no disrespect at all, but when everyone is hanging on with just the hope, it's really not that much to be honest. So it is, indeed, saying "all the best" and "rest in peace" at the same time now.

I'm still hoping for a positive outcome.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:28 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks NVirkkula, you knew better than me how to put those difficult feelings into words.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

4 weeks since it happened... this is taking far too long I feel...

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 800 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1740 Next