TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 628 Next
 Post subject: Re: 2014 IndyCar Season
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well that fucking sucks.

Is Saveedra some kind of woman hater? He keeps kicking women out of seats...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:18 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

the rahal team may run a second car if funding is found. she may land there

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

WTF. I can understand him replacing Legge, she was useless. But Simona seriously has shown she has great potential and has a great future in Indycars. I really hope she can still get something she deserves a ride.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:11 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

kind of interesting
http://www.wthr.com/story/24698999/2014 ... apolis-500
fans trying to fund raise enough money to enter a car in the 500. each person donates $100 and will have their name on the car. if $1million is raised then the car will have no sponsorships at all just fans names. sarah fisher has partnered with them to get a driver. should be fun to watch it develop.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:29 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

So Simona and Johanna Long both lost their rides :(

although Johanna seems to be with JRM for a few races :)

Last edited by mclaren2008 on Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:01 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

sennadesillva wrote:
kind of interesting
http://www.wthr.com/story/24698999/2014 ... apolis-500
fans trying to fund raise enough money to enter a car in the 500. each person donates $100 and will have their name on the car. if $1million is raised then the car will have no sponsorships at all just fans names. sarah fisher has partnered with them to get a driver. should be fun to watch it develop.

Zanardi should drive it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:23 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Zanardi should get a drive so they'll stop talking about Charlie Kimballs ability to press a button and how heroic he is.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:48 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Scott Dixon won NZ sportsman of the year, it's cool that he gets recognition for his success here

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:29 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Yeah, screw Kimball for having to stab his fingers and inject himself 4 times a day to stay alive. Screw him for having to calculate everything he eats and every time he eats it. Screw him and his kind for losing 10 - 15 years of their life due to their condition. Screw him for the risk of nerve damage and limb amputation later in life. Yes, Zanardi is worse off, but anyone who thinks Kimball's condition is nothing more than pressing a button? Come on.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:37 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

De Cesaris fan wrote:
Yeah, screw Kimball for having to stab his fingers and inject himself 4 times a day to stay alive. Screw him for having to calculate everything he eats and every time he eats it. Screw him and his kind for losing 10 - 15 years of their life due to their condition. Screw him for the risk of nerve damage and limb amputation later in life. Yes, Zanardi is worse off, but anyone who thinks Kimball's condition is nothing more than pressing a button is incredibly ignorant.

Nobody said that, so don't put words into peoples mouths. However I'm REALLY Bored of continued coverage and commercials about him and his disability. Whilst diabetes is a serious condition, it is NOT one which has a serious impact upon a racing career, particularly in a series with money (where they can make the necessary adjustments, such as the added button). Yes it sucks he's got that. Yes it sucks he's going to lose 15 years of his life. But that doesn't mean it's a lot more difficult for him to drive, and that he's actually disabled in regards to the sport he's competing in. The coverage he gets for his disability is WAY out of proportion for the issues it causes, and THAT is the problem. Does every third commercial need to be him, talking about it? Do the commentators need to continually talk about it whenever they love to tell the sob story and background at random points in an event? No.

It's like saying a snooker player is disabled because he has asthma. Yeah...he has asthma, and that sucks. But it doesn't make his participation in his sport any harder. It sucks he's got to carry an inhaler, it sucks his lungs are buggered, it sucks he'll lose years of his life etc. But he isn't really affected by it in the sport he plays, so who cares?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:53 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Unless you have a form diabetes I don't think you can really comment or understand how truly debilitating it can be to you and your life. The over publicity can be annoying but at the same time it is great for those ordinary people who are looking for a role model while they fight to overcome or just deal with the illness each and every day.

For those who don't have it or don't know what it's like to have it, it is all to easy to joke and judge. I've not had it, but know people who do. And no, it is nothing like a snooker player having asthma. I have that and am a keen runner. That's very very different.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:52 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

My girlfriends father, who I'm quite close with has diabetes, as my dog had it too. Whilst the dog isn't the best example, it is a good example of how much care somebody with diabetes requires. The dog doesn't understand it, or even acknowledge it, so you need to be ontop of it for the dog. so I'm not ignorant of the subject. However in Charlies case, there is very little, if anything, he has to overcome IN THE CAR, which is the entire point. He's praised like a hero for doing what sounds like a massive job every time he steps in a race car. Whilst in reality, it has a major impact on his life outside the car, but almost none inside.

Maybe if they did a short film on how he lives and trains day to day, then yeah - that's good. That actually shows what he has to do to overcome the issues. However they don't. They just phone in the coverage and continue to tell me how amazing he is because he presses a button in the car. The coverage is garbage, and you'll notice my original post was about people talking about Charlie, and not Charlies attitude. He's doing nothing wrong at all - it's all the coverage.

It's all completely out of proportion, targeted wrongly, and focused wrongly. Which basically sums up IndyCar I suppose.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:22 pm 
The most anticipated member

Unbelievable...weeks after announcing they would no longer broadcast IndyCar, brazilian Band Netwoek revealed they're still negotiationg with the series and also trying to convince IndyCar for an extra-official race in Brazil at November, all because Band doesn't want to pay IndyCar's fine when the São Paulo Indy 300 contract was terminated by Band Network.

Band is now trying to keep its IndyCar coverage and trying to convince IndyCar for this extra-official brazilian race, scheduled - second rumours for a reformed Brasilia racetrack.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The thing is, the condition does affect your fitness. It's far easier to wear yourself out, and whilst Charlie has the benefit of his sugar levels being constantly monitored, taking extra sugar is not an instant fix. It can take 15 minutes for your levels to come back up to a safe level. In fact, doctors recommend waiting 45 minutes before driving in real life. If his levels go high? He can't exactly inject insulin whilst driving.

I see what you're saying; it might not change the way he has to drive, but it's one more thing to worry about behind the wheel, and it will have changed the way he prepares for every single session. I don't even remember it getting much of a mention in the coverage (maybe the adverts that we don't tend to see over here), but is it really a terrible thing? There's probably a lot of people with Type 1 who feel that they can't continue to play sports seriously, and Kimball is a positive role model there.

You could easily argue that anyone's disability is far more of an issue outside of the car, but I think we should appreciate the fact that these people are able to continue their dreams and inspire others.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:10 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

De Cesaris fan wrote:
The thing is, the condition does affect your fitness. It's far easier to wear yourself out, and whilst Charlie has the benefit of his sugar levels being constantly monitored, taking extra sugar is not an instant fix. It can take 15 minutes for your levels to come back up to a safe level. In fact, doctors recommend waiting 45 minutes before driving in real life. If his levels go high? He can't exactly inject insulin whilst driving.

I see what you're saying; it might not change the way he has to drive, but it's one more thing to worry about behind the wheel, and it will have changed the way he prepares for every single session. I don't even remember it getting much of a mention in the coverage (maybe the adverts that we don't tend to see over here), but is it really a terrible thing? There's probably a lot of people with Type 1 who feel that they can't continue to play sports seriously, and Kimball is a positive role model there.

You could easily argue that anyone's disability is far more of an issue outside of the car, but I think we should appreciate the fact that these people are able to continue their dreams and inspire others.

At the longer races the mechanics stab him in the neck during pit stops.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:53 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

J.Morelli wrote:
Unbelievable...weeks after announcing they would no longer broadcast IndyCar, brazilian Band Netwoek revealed they're still negotiationg with the series and also trying to convince IndyCar for an extra-official race in Brazil at November, all because Band doesn't want to pay IndyCar's fine when the São Paulo Indy 300 contract was terminated by Band Network.

Band is now trying to keep its IndyCar coverage and trying to convince IndyCar for this extra-official brazilian race, scheduled - second rumours for a reformed Brasilia racetrack.

People that care :

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Excuse him for posting IndyCar related news on the Indycar thread.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:09 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

I'm sure him being in the series is doing more for awareness than it is about him having a storyline overcoming adversity etc.

I've not exactly been surrounded by people with it (I remember a kid at school had to inject insulin at break times and....that's about it) so I certainly have learnt more about it from reading stuff like this even if it is a debate about how much it affects him.

Well,.......him and Turk from scrubs but they continually confused type 1 and type 2 diabetes for as long as he had it, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:11 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

In other (irrelevant) news, Micheal's wife has just given birth to twins and he's called one of them Mario, apparently.

No news on if the other one is called Luigi tho.

(Sorry, I just had to )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

This page and the previous: yay off season

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 558 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 628 Next