TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 33 Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:33 pm 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

This is just a dumb observation but besides the fans, is there really a danger with this car to the drivers? Denny Hamlin aside, we've seen in the last few years of Cup racing, some of the hardest wrecks in history and everyone walks away. I'm not saying we need driver injuries to revalidate the danger of this sport but it's in my personal opinion to hide behind non-existent bloodshed on whether or not a race is good is a cop out. If my football team loses badly, I don't tell myself "at least no one got hurt". Its a shitty reason to defend shitty racing. Can we tell the difference between 195 and 200? Probably not. So why do we want to see 5 more mph?

*see percentage of airbornes chart from the old tbk.

Austin Dillon being able to drive his car back to the pits? Not real racing. Not saying he should been hurt but his car shouldn't have the same resiliency as 20 year old racing champions 1/64 diecast. You give a car the drivers have no fear of driving, you get the insanity of the last few years. You give the car the drivers have been driving in over their heads the last few years and they do nothing with it? Its garbage.

At least no one got hurt

Give me a break.

No one got hurt parking their cars in my parking lot today. Doesn't make it a great parking lot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
Temiree wrote:
Just to open an idea for discussion: What if they do a green-white-checkered restart if the caution comes out on the final lap?

They'd never get the races finished, you've gotta draw the line somewhere.

Then do it only once. If they fuck up again on the final lap next go-around, the race is over.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

This was the first time since 2006 we had a single file finish like that, the finish to the 500 this year was going to be good until the late caution.

I think it just happens, plate racing is hit or miss depending on what the drivers choose to do. There isn't really a fix for it.

I do hope NASCAR puts a wicker on the cars next year though, at least let them get bigger runs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I read on Twitter that Kurt Busch's team was also pitting Michael McDowell's car today.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Would something like a push to pass actually work in NASCAR?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:51 am 
Aeroplane Bloke
Aeroplane Bloke

zippy wrote:
Would something like a push to pass actually work in NASCAR?

works great on my remote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:59 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

HRC wrote:
All those guys that complained last night will immediately get a ban right now. You don't like tandem racing, then this is what you get. This was good ol' 90's pack racing. The leader can stay up front for most of the races, it is difficult to get another line going and make moves. Just like you wanted. In the end they all go single file and are afraid to go down low, all waiting till the last lap when all hell brakes loose and the caution comes out. A classic really if you know your stuff.

It is either this or the stuff from yesterday, if you didn't enjoy Trucks or NNS you should enjoy this.

Congrots to the Mac.

Hey, why aren't you in a spiral of despair like everyone else!? :p

I mostly agree with your post, except for the "just what you wanted" stuff. I don't really know what everyone else wants anymore, so there's no need to bother with that point. I enjoyed the race. They had to work to make passes instead of just taking turns swapping the lead around meaninglessly. Plus they actually did more hard racing throughout the race than they typically would. Yes, the finish was a massive letdown, but I don't know why people aren't half expecting it, because it's always a possibility when the threat of an accident looms so large. It was a big hit with a car flying in the air, plus there were a few lapped cars running about half a straightaway ahead of the leaders, so they would have been racing through the accident scene. I suppose they could have waited to throw the caution when the leaders got to the line. Unlike so many of the wildly transparent, bullshit debris cautions they continue to throw, I have a hard time making a heartfelt argument against a call they made (presumably) for safety.

And fucking quit whining about the G6 cars on plate tracks already. They do suck loads of ass on the rest of the schedule (and that's a big problem, but aside from my point here) but don't forget that it's the same car that produced an amazing (and clean) finish here in April.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:00 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only problem with this racing is the fans reaction when the last lap doesn't work out like the amazing climax they envisioned. Pissing and moaning because you didn't get side by side 0.0000001 second margin of victory this race is what gave us the freeze the field, GWC, spec body shit we have now. Look back at the glory years of the 90s and see how many "blue balls" finishes there were. Was never a problem until we started getting the kind of fan that demanded the perfect race every race.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:49 am 

If we're going to judge restrictor plate races only on the finish then they might as well be, like, a few laps long.

I do it too, I'll admit. I've been spoiled, and I'm always really hoping there will be a photo finish or the cars will go across the line three wide or something.

I propose a racing series that's expressly designed to have ludicrous amounts of lead changes. Every car is basically a box that punches a gigantic hole in the air. Or whatever would make them pass a whole shit ton, I don't know.

Have push to pass buttons too, I don't care. MArket it like a spectacle and a show like monster jam or something, we wouldn't try and pretend too hard that its a legit sport.

drank too much give me a break

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:36 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Philthy82 wrote:
The only problem with this racing is the fans reaction when the last lap doesn't work out like the amazing climax they envisioned. Pissing and moaning because you didn't get side by side 0.0000001 second margin of victory this race is what gave us the freeze the field, GWC, spec body shit we have now. Look back at the glory years of the 90s and see how many "blue balls" finishes there were. Was never a problem until we started getting the kind of fan that demanded the perfect race every race.

Couldn't have said it better myself, unfortunately i always have my fingers crossed for an exciting finish

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:04 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I don't think it's unreasonable to HOPE for an exciting finish every time. Theoretically, we're always watching whatever we love (racing, baseball, whatever) in the hope that it will always be good. The problem is expecting to be blown away every time. That's just never going to happen.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:37 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Ideally you'd want both a good race and a good finish but if I had to choose, good race over good finish everytime. In the spring, you got a great finish, now you got a great race for the most part.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Philthy82 wrote:

I agree. Well said.

I look forward to a race and hope that the race is good, a great finish is a bonus. I have zero expectations that either of these will happen each and every time I watch a race however. Many types of motor racing, NASCAR in particular, have become naturally unnatural in the way it delivers excitement to the fans. F1 is guilty of that too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep, the race overall was tense and exciting. No massive pileup with many cars and $$$ to spend in fixing them all. Blue balls finish for sure, but that happens 75% of the time at plate tracks anyway - why start throwing hissy fits *now*?

Anyway, the last lap yellow was definitely warranted. I know they've thrown yellows for shit that shouldn't have mattered at the back of the pack, but the third place car went airborne with the field piling in behind him. Even if they had stayed green, the field would have been a mess getting back to the line, and there probably would have been more wrecking just getting there (due to speed differentials from some cars backing off, others more than likely not, etc).

4th plate win for Jamie Mac. Quite glad for him!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:04 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Here's a wobbly fan video of the finish that ads nothing

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:06 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Race wasn't bad. Too a nap for a bit, didn't miss anything.

Keep the GWC rules as is with one change. Once the white's in the air, they race back to the line. There is no frozen field yellow/checkers finish once the white is displayed.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Here's a wobbly fan video of the finish that ads nothing

As soon as cars lose control, start filming your shoes. Never fails.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 3:34 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

The only thing that embarrasse me was the commentators pushing so much for the big one all day long like it was the only thing that matters...

The racing was great during the whole day , and what everybody retains from this race is there was a shitty outcome , with no flipperz , nor big one , nor 4-wide finish... kinda sad IMO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:53 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I was annoyed with the crash commentary as well. It's obvious, we all know how it works. No need to keep hammering away at something we can all see as a possibility just by looking at the screen.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 657 posts ]  Go to page Previous 129 30 31 32 33 Next