TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31 Next
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Let's not forget that 1 stoppers don't automatically mean shit races. Austin was pretty damn good.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Karan wrote:
Actually it does matter. But I guess that makes me and several others look utterly foolish for wanting to see more than 2 cars on the grid be able to race without prematurely wearing out their tires. Oh well, glad to see that at least Paul Hembery acknowledges it. As long as he gets it, I'm fine with looking utterly foolish in your important eyes ;)

..."in your important eyes" LOL

Alonso and Ferrari proved today you don't need to cruise around. That's it. Like it or lump it. Perhaps instead of being angry at the tyres, you should be angry at the teams / drivers who chose to adopt the cruising strategy?

Yes, Ferrari has made every one of the naysayers look foolish today.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:31 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I don't think Ferrari made the naysayers look foolish. It just so happens that their car is light on tyres, as a bi product of not being that downforce efficient. I think Ferrari did an excellent job, and both drivers were fantastic, but I don't think their good performance means that suddenly cruising around is ok.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:33 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Their performance showed that you don't necessarily need to cruise around. They tried something different and it worked very well. That doesn't mean it will work at every circuit from now on, but it does mean there are more choices than just cruising.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:33 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Fergo wrote:
Quote:
Fernando Alonso summoned to see stewards for 'receiving an object after the end-of-race signal.' He took a Spanish flag from a marshal

https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/333615995329597440

Surely this won't incur a penalty?

Slap on the wrist and a fine most likely. The rule was modified in 1994, where Damon didn't stop his car, but did recieve a flag at Silverstone, which technically made it a legal move. But it's now illegal to pick up any object. But flags you tend to just get a slap and a wee fine, which is ok.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:35 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

I hope Alonso tells them to lighten up.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

As long as the tires aren't boring, like the Bridgestone era, you can still have good races with 1 or 2 stops. If the tires offer the right level of grip, they can probably reduce the effect of aero grip, and help cars follow each other in the corners.

Another rule that could be altered, is that you have to use both compounds during the race. If the FIA want different strategies used throughout the race, then why are they putting everyone in the same boat? What if you brought a super soft and a super hard tire? The softs are much faster but require 3 stops, whereas the hard might get you through the race with 1 or no stops. Let the teams use whichever ones they want to. Give the teams special qualifying tires, so they don't have to worry about wearing out their race sets.

I don't know. I think it's an important skill that you conserve your car in some way, but it should be possible to drive 100% flat out at some points during the race. Maybe a shift towards 2 or 3 stops would be fine. We had a couple of cracking races earlier in the season.

And the rule about not picking up objects? No burnouts allowed? Lame. Let them celebrate. Let us see emotion!

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:39 pm 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

ellis wrote:
Fergo wrote:
Quote:
Fernando Alonso summoned to see stewards for 'receiving an object after the end-of-race signal.' He took a Spanish flag from a marshal

https://twitter.com/NobleF1/status/333615995329597440

Surely this won't incur a penalty?

Slap on the wrist and a fine most likely. The rule was modified in 1994, where Damon didn't stop his car, but did recieve a flag at Silverstone, which technically made it a legal move. But it's now illegal to pick up any object. But flags you tend to just get a slap and a wee fine, which is ok.

I suggest 6,000 EUR fine and give this amount to the photographer who's camera was destroyed by the Spaniard.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

When Pirelli finally makes the change to "better" tyres,they will suit perfectly the Redbull car. And Vettel will cruise to victory and another title.
Same thing happened last year,after Monza it was a matter of time when he will win the title.
The tyres are same for everybody. Ferrari pace today was outstanding,they made 1more pitstop and finished 10+ sec in front.
So it's possible. And Rosberg,he had the same pace as the leaders in his last stint,and he made 3stops.

but im pretty sure most of the teams will fully understand those 2013 tyres in next 3,4 races,and then it will again be aero,aero,aero,and Redbull can dominate it.
And they will change the tyres to suit even more to the Redbulls.

It's annoying that Horner and Vettel keep bitching,instead of making a consistent,more tyre saving car,and not just a rocket to fly and destroy tyres.
In the turbo era,it was not the car with the biggest,loudest and most powerful,but most consistent and reliable engine.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

kals wrote:
Karan wrote:
Actually it does matter. But I guess that makes me and several others look utterly foolish for wanting to see more than 2 cars on the grid be able to race without prematurely wearing out their tires. Oh well, glad to see that at least Paul Hembery acknowledges it. As long as he gets it, I'm fine with looking utterly foolish in your important eyes ;)

..."in your important eyes" LOL

Alonso and Ferrari proved today you don't need to cruise around. That's it. Like it or lump it. Perhaps instead of being angry at the tyres, you should be angry at the teams / drivers who chose to adopt the cruising strategy?

Yes, Ferrari has made every one of the naysayers look foolish today.

kals I'm not trying to take anything away from Ferrari. The team put together a great race package this weekend and their drivers did a great job executing it today. However that's just one team. Good for them but what good is that from a fan perspective? Because for most of the others, the race degenerated into a tyre management affair rather than the flat out racing I would hope to see, on a consistent basis, race after race.

Last edited by Karan on Sun May 12, 2013 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:49 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
But the problem isn't the number of pit stops, it's the fact that the drivers are cruising. As Brundle pointed out, there has always been conservation in some form in F1. Whether it's fuel, or reliability, and now tyres. But it's gone way beyond that and we have entire races where you can't even get close to a proper race pace. It is now faster to drive around slowly so the tyres don't die.

That looks similar to what made Fangio remarkable at his time - his typical strategy of driving the slowest as possible.

Although it may look boring the idea of not to push as much as possible, I like this focus on conservation that gives a more important role to the drivers. One may say Mercs are struggling and this is down to the cars, but Massa did had his troubles in the last seasons exactly for not managing how to deal with his tyres properly, for example.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:49 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

De Cesaris fan wrote:
As long as the tires aren't boring, like the Bridgestone era, you can still have good races with 1 or 2 stops. If the tires offer the right level of grip, they can probably reduce the effect of aero grip, and help cars follow each other in the corners.

Another rule that could be altered, is that you have to use both compounds during the race. If the FIA want different strategies used throughout the race, then why are they putting everyone in the same boat? What if you brought a super soft and a super hard tire? The softs are much faster but require 3 stops, whereas the hard might get you through the race with 1 or no stops. Let the teams use whichever ones they want to. Give the teams special qualifying tires, so they don't have to worry about wearing out their race sets.

I don't know. I think it's an important skill that you conserve your car in some way, but it should be possible to drive 100% flat out at some points during the race. Maybe a shift towards 2 or 3 stops would be fine. We had a couple of cracking races earlier in the season.

And the rule about not picking up objects? No burnouts allowed? Lame. Let them celebrate. Let us see emotion!

Common sense!

I hate this 'yeah well fuck you Bridgestone sucked" attitude as soon as Pirelli are criticised. Yeah, they may have done. But just because you feel Pirelli need a little tweak doesn't mean you're suddenly anti-Pirelli. I also hate this 'LOL Pirelli suck cheese tyres attitude too', and the assertion that these tyre delaminations are dangerous. People need to see things aren't black and white.

Formula 1 should always be striving to improve.

Still, when the Power Units come in, tyres won't be so much of a focus.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Alonso received no punishment for picking up the flag.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:11 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
Their performance showed that you don't necessarily need to cruise around. They tried something different and it worked very well. That doesn't mean it will work at every circuit from now on, but it does mean there are more choices than just cruising.

Alonsos fastest race lap was 6 seconds off the pole time. That's pretty cruising.

Quote:
It's annoying that Horner and Vettel keep bitching,instead of making a consistent,more tyre saving car,and not just a rocket to fly and destroy tyres.

What else is annoying is people who ignore that half the grid complained but will focus on whatever Horner and Vettel say. Skys entire race run down was about tyres, but I'm guessing Red Bull paid off Brundle to talk about that or something ridiculous, right?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:12 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
Alonso received no punishment for picking up the flag.

Good. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:15 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
kals wrote:

Alonsos fastest race lap was 6 seconds off the pole time. That's pretty cruising.

Yes and? Times in quali should be substantially quicker than race pace, certainly it was when I grew up watching F1 in the eighties and early nineties. I like the massive disparity.

Anyway, compared to everyone that Alonso was racing against he wasn't cruising. He didn't finish over 30 seconds up the road of the first Red Bull by cruising.

Last edited by kals on Sun May 12, 2013 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
I hate this 'yeah well fuck you Bridgestone sucked" attitude as soon as Pirelli are criticised. Yeah, they may have done. But just because you feel Pirelli need a little tweak doesn't mean you're suddenly anti-Pirelli. I also hate this 'LOL Pirelli suck cheese tyres attitude too', and the assertion that these tyre delaminations are dangerous. People need to see things aren't black and white.

Formula 1 should always be striving to improve.

Still, when the Power Units come in, tyres won't be so much of a focus.

Precisely. Pirelli are one of the best things to happen to the sport in the last few years. It doesn't mean that they aren't capable of getting things wrong from time to time, though. What's good is that they seem to have realised this themselves.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:21 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Of course he was cruising. He just wasn't cruising as much. I'm not interested in watching cars driving around at 6-10 seconds off the pace they can do. Whilst conserving something on the car has always been part of F1, it has never involved sacrificing this much time. 6 seconds could be double the spread of the entire field, yet that is how slowly they have to drive at BEST to win a race? That is pretty crap IMO.

I like tyre management, and have enjoyed the last few seasons, but only because the drivers have been able to push to a reasonable degree too. It really devalues the race for me when it's about how slow you can go, rather than fast. It reminds me of BTCC Drivers losing places so they can get on pole for a reverse grid race. We actually watched cars deliberately lose spots to give themselves an advantage, which is something we seen today with the drivers suffering more extreme wear.

It was interesting as a one off race, but it certainly wasn't entertaining watching everyone drive as slowly as possible so they didn't have to stop, and I think the lack of action is no coincidence either.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:25 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

*Shameless plugging alert*

'Fabulous Fernando reigns in Spain'
http://www.f1zone.net/news/fabulous-fer ... ain/18885/

Also, slightly unnoticed by quite impressed that Webber somehow went from having a terrible start to only being 9s down on Vettel.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 6:28 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

phil1993 wrote:
*Shameless plugging alert*

'Fabulous Fernando reigns in Spain'
http://www.f1zone.net/news/fabulous-fer ... ain/18885/

Also, slightly unnoticed by quite impressed that Webber somehow went from having a terrible start to only being 9s down on Vettel.

Pitted early and got out of the traffic. I believe he ran the faster 4 stopper too.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 612 posts ]  Go to page Previous 127 28 29 30 31 Next