TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3858 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1187 188 189 190 191193 Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:52 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Ian-S wrote:
People are disappointed Chris because there wasn't a 43 car pack wrecking for the finish.

I didn't want to go that far. I've been enough of a dick in this thread already. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I just love how at the start of the month everyone in Daytona was like, "Oh the 48's slow, Jimmie & Chad haven't figured out the Gen6 car yet, They're lost" Bullshit. Not saying they were sandbagging......but they're not dumb, Jimmie & Chad are just fucking good.

Like them or not, It took more than luck for them to win 5 straight championships. We've been looking at Nascar's version of Vettel & Newey for some time now. Hopefully this 500 win doesn't springboard them to a 6th championship this year. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:58 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Chris A wrote:
Ian-S wrote:
People are disappointed Chris because there wasn't a 43 car pack wrecking for the finish.

I didn't want to go that far. I've been enough of a dick in this thread already. :oops:

I haven't read the thread, but it doesn't take a genius to work it out (why people are disappointed, not you being a dick lol).

Give it a few months for the teams to work it out and we'll be back to regular pack races, the problem at Daytona was the cars were so unstable on the bottom that they couldn't keep the momentum up and would break up easier, the top has less of a turning arc and so not so many issues.

Maybe if the races are still like this come Charlotte, I'll change my opinion, but I'm not going to condemn the Gen6 car as rubbish after one race (like some I've seen), let's not forget about yesterday either, there's nothing like a close call to calm things down.

Post subject: Re: Shitweeks 2013
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:55 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Chris A wrote:
tickyour wrote:
Regardless on how the performance of the Gen6 will be on the rest of the tracks, we took a huge step back on the superspeedway package. I'm sure they will spin it as the greatest show ever, but i found it rather boring. The finish proved it too. There is much room for improvement here, single file with no positions changes for 90% of the race cannot be the answer.

IMO it was an important step forward. It's more of a legit race now instead of a semi-organized stunt/crapshoot. The whole 'leader is a sitting' duck is actually kinda fucked up in a way. Why should the person who's driven to the front be in a bad position? Today, only fast cars with decent drivers led under green. And if you were good enough, you could actually hold the lead. Remember when guys like Marlin, Earnhardt, and Jarrett could do that shit? That was just fine. It should be a challenge to pass the leader, and it showed today. Johnson spent several laps working the bottom and fell back a little at times during that run before he got the lead.

I'm not going to sit here and lie. A lot of he CoT stuff at the plate tracks was very captivating, but in my opinion today's race was more satisfying as a proper competition. I understand why a lot of people are disappointed but I prefer the more toned down, performance-reliant package.

I completely agree with you Chris. Go back and watch any 90's superspeedway finish and you'll see exactly what you saw today. I enjoyed today's race. Was it super exciting and were there 10 flipperz and a 5-wide finish? No, but I still enjoyed it. The guys who were up front had to work to get there. The COT racing (along with yesterday's Nationwide race) was insane and exhilarating, but it was a total lottery and the drivers had no real control of their destiny; they were at the mercy of the pack or the guy pushing them. The main change that the drivers wanted after the fall Talladega race was to put the race back into the drivers' hands, and I think the new car definitely does that. Talladega should be better because it is much less of a handling track and the drivers shouldn't be as hesitant to make risky moves because there isn't as much at stake as there was today. We know these cars can pass if they want to, but today they just didn't want to risk making a move too early and getting hung out or crashing a car that their teams have been working on for literally months on end. Once the drivers start to realize what they can and can't do, then they should start making more moves and stop most of the single-file racing.

In terms of excitement, the COT package was great at providing chaotic finishes and wrexxxx at Daytona and Talladega, but I think this package is better. Hell, I think anything that is similar to Nascar in the 90's is better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Early 90s Daytona racing was excellent.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:41 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

We have become so used to the COT platform relying on short tracks, road tracks and superspeedways to provide any interest when the race isn't the best then complaints occur.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:20 pm 
Xtreme Surfer Dude
Xtreme Surfer Dude

Glad to see common sense prevailing in these more recent posts. I too look very much foreward to the next superspeedway event, and for the first time in many years am actually genuinely intrigued at the dawn of a new NASCAR season.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:48 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The style of racing did remind me very much of the 1990's. It was the single file for 95% of the race that sucked the most.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

People have become too used to the expectation of 40 car packs, probably thanks to the way the TV networks continuously promote "the big one", that they either forgot, or never watched a race before 1995 so don't really appreciate that a "pack" is really the exception to the rule at these tracks rather than the norm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:01 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ian-S wrote:
People have become too used to the expectation of 40 car packs, probably thanks to the way the TV networks continuously promote "the big one", that they either forgot, or never watched a race before 1995 so don't really appreciate that a "pack" is really the exception to the rule at these tracks rather than the norm.

You're using that logic thing again Ian.

Stop it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:09 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

I don't want big wrecks, I just want good racing. Whether it's pack or not doesn't matter to me. Sunday did not provide good racing. Yeah we had a little at the end, but 5 laps of good racing doesn't make up for 195 laps of boring racing. And neither the duals or the shootout was that interesting either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yep, I don't care if it's like the 90s or whenever. I want to see racing, where, you know, people try to pass each other and stuff, not an evenly spaced out pack of 40 something cars rim riding single file for 500 miles.

FWIW, I don't blame the drivers as it was physically impossible for inside lane to have a fighting chance. Only reason Jimmie could was because Brad's aero was messed up. Soon as he got by, inside line fell back to oblivion like it had done all race. Huge problem NASCAR, fix it before Talladega.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:54 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Old school racing. Survive for 475 miles, go for it the last 25. Race wasn't bad at all, just not what we've had and not what NASCAR has billed them as.

A few pages back is the last 10 laps from 2003 Spring Dega race. Don't see a whole lot of action the last few laps there.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:56 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I enjoyed the race. Give these teams time and they'll get these cars better at the plate tracks. Plus the drivers need to remember how to race like this again. I still think they should put the roof blade back on to punch a bigger hole.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:11 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think we forgot the most important good news of all:
Spoiler:
Free bloomin' onions at Outback Steakhouse AND Kids eat free at Golden Corral!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:13 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Cartman wrote:
I think we forgot the most important good news of all:
Spoiler:
Free bloomin' onions at Outback Steakhouse AND kids eat free at Golden Corral!

kick down the doors at golden corral and just be like JJ YELEY, MOTHERFUCKERS.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:17 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but only two of the injured fans from the Saturday wreck are still in the hospital. And both are now stable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:14 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Odd that 190 laps of a testing session and 4 laps of racing amid cautions still gets defended.

And I'm tried of the "back in the day" argument coming up every time anyone dare criticise the racing.

Nascar has been fixing the cars to race a certain way for years now. Any time there was a hint of single file racing they ran around with new winglets, bigger holes in the plates, whatever they could think of, so by that logic even back in the day they thought single file racing wasn't good enough.
While its probably a bit early to be making changes like that I wager if tally is as dull they'll do something before July.

As I've said before, the one good thing is that nascar didn't throw the yellow on the last lap, imagine how blue balls the race would've been if they had.

I hope that sets a precedent for last lap crashes, at least the minor ones where everyone is obviously trying to keep going anyway

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:34 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Greg biffle.

Greg Biffle. 3 times in the past week, 3 times!!! he was in second place coming into the last lap, and he NEVER tried to pull a move. What in the world.

Greg Biffle.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:43 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

carfan20 wrote:
Greg Biffle. 3 times in the past week, 3 times!!! he was in second place coming into the last lap, and he NEVER tried to pull a move. What in the world.

+ 2012 Daytona 500, where he made no attempt to pass Kenseth.

Biffle of all people, should've known by Sunday, that you can't wait until going into four to make pass for the lead.

Last edited by Ferrari on Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 3858 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1187 188 189 190 191193 Next