TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:21 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1286 287 288 289 290335 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:19 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ok that makes more sense but is still very different to what you original wrote in your first sentences, which suggested that no-one in 2012 bitched or moaned about these things.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:22 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

kals wrote:
Ok that makes more sense but is still very different to what you original wrote in your first sentences, which suggested that no-one in 2012 bitched or moaned about these things.

We're F1 fans, we bitch and moan about things even when we're enjoying a great season! :p

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 am 

NVirkkula wrote:
siggy wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
Thermal camera view at Suzuka already revealed that something fishy was happening at the T-tray area of Red Bull car.

Here's a slo-mo closeup of Webber's pitstop in the US GP.

https://plus.google.com/101443032616581166067/posts/AGjzdPLjUWf

Not sure what you're referring to, but if it's the grey vertical tiny 'bar', it looks more like a sensor or at the very least, already broken. Or it is a tension string and not a compression string. Doesn't look much more usefull than that.

Besides, what does this have to do with the thermal camera?

During the Japanese GP it was speculated that this part was heated to gain ground clearance advance in the T-tray area. Allegedly, that "string" part makes the floor flex when needed so the ground clearance is always ideal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/24659085

It's a clever design, as was Renault's mass damper in 2005-2006 or Ferrari's floor spring system in 2007. But what's interesting is that after flexi-wing ban in 2011, Red Bull was accused for using some heating system to make their front wing to flex on the track. Maybe they weren't but that might have given this idea to Newey...

There is nothing "fishy" about it. Why people always wanna make RB look like cheaters? Can't people be good losers? Not directed at you, NVirkkula. I guess you just read/heard it a lot from tones of people who likes to portray RB as such

There is a small part there that is heating(and it's designed with a material to withstand it) because RB runs lot's of rake and their leading edge of the floor constantly hits the ground.

You don't want more ground clearance, you want less of it. The less ground clearance you got, the more downforce you can generate.

Due to rake, the front is very low and the rear is very high, and the latter is bad for downforce, but RB makes it work because they can almost seal the sides of it with cleverly and purposely designed sidepod and the most effective guidance to exhaust gases towards that area( between rear tire/diffuser)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:56 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Scotty wrote:
I still laugh at all the people who said DRS would ruin F1. I was just watching the 2004 FIA review, think there were only about 5 races where there were more than 5 legitimate overtakes.

I'm still gutted it doesn't do what everyone predicted it would do before the first race of 2011, where the leader would get passed with it on lap 3 then repass with it in the next DRS zone making every F1 race a pack racing lottery where you'd never want to lead because you'd be the only one not getting DRS and F1 would turn into a NASCAR restrictor plate race from a few years ago where the leader on the last lap never won!

Ahhh, F1 and it's panicing about new rules that never actually happened! :p

(On that note I don't expect Mercedes to be 100HP up with the new engines or half the field running out of fuel in the later stages of the racesin 2014 either :p )

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:07 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arthur is right, nothing fishy around there. On the pic its clearly visible how the front is lower and rear higher.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:24 am 

alex1369 wrote:
Arthur is right, nothing fishy around there. On the pic its clearly visible how the front is lower and rear higher.
http://www.motorsport-magazin.com/image ... 472695.jpg[/img]

Red Bull have been using such rake for years now, it's nothing new. I don't know why some people made a fuss about it. That leading edge would always appear heated up on the thermal cam due to eventual friction with tarmac

There was a guy on f1technical.com once that simply could not get convinced that RB do not have TC. No matter how reasonable your argument was, he was always like"RB are smart, they always know how to cheat" and further more offensive claims.....

@
codename_47
, I also don't believe Mercedes will have 100HP advantadge and that people will run out of fuel, but atm I'm believing Mercedes will have some kind of advantadge both in power and consumption because way too much people are claiming so, and some of them aren't from same source.

Plus, I often like to read into things that aren't explicitly there but would make sense in an assumption. That Vettel's radio during his latest donuts had some kind of deeper thing into it, imo.

As customers of the Frenchs, they are much more aware than us of what Renault think their situation is as it's obvious that developers, such as engine makers in this case, know more about their rivals than we, general public, do. I think that radio message might reveal that they were already told by Renault(my speculation) to lower their expectations as of Mercedes indeed appearing to have a significant advantage, at least at the beginning, so that RB can already expect some different than this pole/win fest.

Today Rosberg was already, very confidently in the video I saw, saying that next year they'll have a big chance of finally dethroning RB, btw

About the consumption, Massa was saying b4 leaving Ferrari that 2014 would maybe not be good for the fans because F1 would have lot's of fuel saving during the race. Then, there were people saying Ferrari asked to change regulations to allow more than the proposed 100kg limit of fuel. Even though we won't see Ferrari powered cars running out of fuel, I won't be surprised if they need to be under a strict "saving mode" with their engine during longer periods in the race than their rivals.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:32 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Everybody has a big chance if their engine wont blow up, or run out of fuel...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:56 am 
"The Cricket"
"The Cricket"

alex1369 wrote:

They run a shit ton of rake with incredibly stiff suspension. Hence why they suffer at top-end tracks, or at least used to before they started going to a softer rear-end setup at those top-end tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What do you mean by top-end tracks? New, smooth ones? because that would mean stiff supension works better.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:20 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Best illustration of 2014 cars
http://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/vide ... 13407.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:07 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

phil1993 wrote:
Interesting. For some reason I am imagining cars getting scooped up with that low nose.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:48 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
I still laugh at all the people who said DRS would ruin F1. I was just watching the 2004 FIA review, think there were only about 5 races where there were more than 5 legitimate overtakes.
Overtaking stats from 2004:

And just for the record, I do actually think DRS has ruined F1 for me at least. DRS & to an extent the 2012/2013 tyres have done more to kill my love of F1 than anything from Pre-2011 ever did.

Last edited by StefMeister on Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:50 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Button probably accounted for half the Hockenheim overtakes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And still I enjoyed 2004 much more than this year. I still can remember a lot of those races while I can't find much notewhorthy races this year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:47 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I have the same but I guess that's just because I'm older now and have become more critical towards F1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:50 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mika Kimi wrote:
I have the same but I guess that's just because I'm older now and have become more critical towards F1.

part of getting old :beard:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:51 pm 

Fish88 wrote:
And still I enjoyed 2004 much more than this year. I still can remember a lot of those races while I can't find much notewhorthy races this year.

V10's :) :)

I love watching Schumacher's victory at Magny Cours, Renault had absolutely no idea what Ferrari were up to with the weird pit stops, until lap 42. One of Ferrari's best strategic masterstrokes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:55 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Yes but remember, the past is always better.

The problem is that now there's 24/7 access to Formula 1 so everyone looks back on some of the best moments in history and forget that they didn't happen every lap of every race. I watched Japan '89 a while back - it was probably tense at the time but my God, fuck all happened apart from the Prost/Senna collision.

It has been neutralised to an extent because there's fewer crazy races & FIA/FOM isn't grasping the younger fans, which they need to do. I agree that DRS isn't great & for me the circuits have been ruined to an extent because some of the new ones aren't great or have acres of run-off, but if we had a close title battle, I doubt there'd be as many complaints. It's only because Red Bull & Vettel have blown everyone away this season that people are bored.

However, considering the financial climate over the past few years, I think F1 has done pretty damn well. It's not perfect and it still looks ropey but to have a 'perfect' formula, you're going to have to spend more, which can't be done at the moment. With the tyres, they're not perfect but again, what is the alternative? Remember that there have been races in the past where one tyre was useless or one tyre company was totally rubbish in that race compared to the other. For several years tyre degradation wasn't an issue due to refuelling.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Location: Joined 1st TBK: November 25th, 2005 ***Joelma Building, Sao Paulo***
I don't miss pure overtaking or go against DRS

I just miss DNFs and failed overtaking moves that used to have 2 or more DNFs (with no penalties for everything the driver would do)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LucasWheldon wrote:
I don't miss pure overtaking or go against DRS

I just miss DNFs and failed overtaking moves that used to have 2 or more DNFs (with no penalties for everything the driver would do)

Indeed. The cars are too reliable. Monaco 1996 will never ever happen again. We may praise the gods of a race next season comes even close to it but I expect the engines still be more reliable than the average politician.

And with the miles of runoff area's there is no real danger to a failed pass. Not that I want to see people get hurt but in the past failing a pass could result in a crash. Now it's so boring they don't even show the replay of most off's.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1286 287 288 289 290335 Next