TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:08 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17335 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:44 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

If that really is what the drivers see, then they better start mounting a camera on the nosecone and put a screen on the steering wheel, since the only thing we se is the steering wheel in that video.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:11 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Scotty wrote:
ellis wrote:
Scotty wrote:
As someone who has driven open wheel racing cars (not Formula 1...yet) I can tell you the point of view is slightly higher than that. Doubt it would be unique to just my FSAE car.

Well that's a very driver, seat and car specific thing. Justin Wilsons view is a lot higher than Ant Davidsons. That camera is also mounted OVER one of di Grassis eyes. So it is literally eye level.

You'd have to be 4 foot 9 if you're eye level isn't above the steering wheel. Not only that, the cameras angle appears to be to be angled low. When he brakes we practically just get a perfect view of his crotch.

It's a bit of an exaggeration when they say "this is what it's like". I will admit, doesn't get much closer.

The camera angle looks low because cameras can't adjust angle like the human eye does automatically. When the drivers head moves slightly forward, he won't suddenly be looking at his crotch like the camera will, his eyes will just look up a little without even thinking.

But in terms of level, that is literally eye level. The camera is over his eye.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:30 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I once watched photos taken of a landscape using a lens set to the human eye's focal, but it looked ridiculous compared to what you see in person.

Especially, brain post-processing of the low-resolution image given by the retina is a fantastic feature that is still being investigated by science. At this point, not even the best quality photos/videos can render eye vision unfortunately.

Now, I absolutely HAVE to get in an F1 cockpit someday. Being about the same height as Di Resta (186cm against 185cm), that should settle the discussion, so if you guys want to fund the experience I'm open to donations :p

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:39 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Scotty wrote:
As someone who has driven open wheel racing cars (not Formula 1...yet) I can tell you the point of view is slightly higher than that. Doubt it would be unique to just my FSAE car.

Please tell me you haven't just tried to compare the driving position of your formula student car to an F1 car, lol.

I would agree that his true sight must be a tiny bit higher, but not much. By looking in the mirrors you can tell this. If it was too far out you'd be seeing mostly sky, or road or whatever.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

So despite being a key part to the spying scandal of 2007, Ferrari have taken the decision to employ Pedro de la Rosa as part of it's development team. Perhaps they should consider offering a role to Mike Coughlan as well. Then they'd have 3 of the main contributors to the scandal on the books.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:05 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

It requires a log-in, but this is an excellent article by Nigel Roebuck about the use of PR in F1
http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/ask_n ... mula-1-pr/

I couldn't agree more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:23 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Can you not just copy and paste here please Phil?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:29 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kals wrote:
Can you not just copy and paste here please Phil?

Duh, what an idiot I am.

Spoiler:
First of all, I should say that I don’t believe the asking of dull questions at press conferences – or the avoidance of asking ‘interesting’ ones – has anything to do with a fear of being turned away from motorhomes or finding one’s pass suddenly inoperative at the paddock turnstile. For one thing, if it led to being ‘turned away from motorhomes’, you would swiftly lose the inclination to write much about the team concerned; for another, Bernie – and only he has the clout – is way too smart to cancel someone’s pass, particularly for something as trivial as this…

Funnily enough, though, it is a topic I touched on in my column, due to appear in the next issue of Motor Sport. The subject of PR, and its effect on contemporary Formula 1, came up during a recent lunch with Martin Brundle, and our feelings on the matter were very similar: we understand why the teams feel they should muzzle their drivers – but think it’s gone way too far, much to the detriment of the sport.

“The teams,” said Brundle, “are not smart on this sort of thing, are they? As an example, I give you Kimi Räikkönen. That whole Abu Dhabi radio thing was positive for him – and positive for the Lotus team, too, because it gave them exposure. People get constantly bombarded with boring PR sound bites, and they flick them away – let the guys be themselves, and in the end you will get a positive fan reaction.”

I couldn’t agree more. From a journalist’s point of view, the monosyllabic Räikkönen may be a nightmare – fundamentally the only aspect of motor racing that interests him is driving the car – but when he does speak, what he comes out with is the plain truth, of that there’s little doubt. And the truth – in a public interview, particularly on TV – is hard to find in this generation of F1 people. It’s not that they lie – although occasionally some of them clearly do – as much as the fact that they’re economical with the truth.

In part, this because the technical secrecy in F1 is overwhelming, and as well as that, of course, we live in times of suffocating political correctness, and why should racing be immune? Many of today’s F1 personnel – particularly the drivers – are young enough, after all, never to have known anything else. Therefore, not only is there a worry about inadvertently saying too much about the car, but also a fear of saying the wrong thing – something that may give offence to someone somewhere on the planet, not least a sponsor.

Remember, for example, that absurd carry-on after the Hungarian Grand Prix in 2007. In the course of a heated radio exchange between Ron Dennis and Lewis Hamilton, it was suggested that – shock, horror! – Lewis may have uttered the f-word. Immediately the thing mushroomed into a saga, to the point that a few days later McLaren felt obliged to issue a press release to the effect that no, no, Lewis had not used such a word…

I couldn’t believe what was happening. For one thing, what Lewis and Ron were saying to each other was in private, out of public earshot; for another, if you started to count the number of times in a day you heard the f-word in an F1 paddock, you would very swiftly tire. It’s hardly uncommon – whether we like it or not – to hear it on TV these days, is it?

The problem is that there is such a preoccupation with image in the 21st century that, for teams and sponsors, anything controversial – hell, anything unusual – is to be viewed with deep suspicion. In Austin Pirelli came up with the idea of kitting the drivers out with Stetsons to wear on the podium, and I thought that inspired, emphatically the best PR idea of the year. Afterwards, though, some oaf in my hearing expressed doubts: wouldn’t the Texan crowd feel patronised? Had he not heard their response? They loved it!

Political correctness, sadly, has a complete stranglehold in every aspect of our lives now – which is precisely why mavericks are so appealing. Hence Räikkönen and his Basil Fawlty act – “Yes, yes, yes, I’m doing it! Leave me alone…” His race engineer was only doing his job, and at the time must have been stung by Kimi’s response, but of course we all savoured it, because it was so different from the dreary norm. There are only so many times you can hear, “That’s what I’m talking about!” or ‘Ring-a-ding-ding…” without glazing over, after all.

Your point about press conferences is well made. Invariably the drivers’ behaviour suggests they are there under sufferance – quite often two will chat between themselves while the third is answering a question – and you can’t really blame them, because so many of the questions are as bland as the answers they give. Skip a conference for some reason, ask a colleague if you’ve missed anything, and the inevitable response is a shake of the head.

I’ve never been one for asking questions at press conferences, quite honestly, because if I’ve got something I think interesting to ask, I don’t want the whole world to get the answer.

Personal interviews – one-to-one with a driver or team principal – not surprisingly work very much better, but even so F1 folk today, compared with times past, are usually extremely guarded in what they say.

Hardly ever these days do you simply sit down with someone, switch on the recorder, and chat. Instead an appointment has to be made – usually days, races ahead – with someone from the PR department, and invariably you’re given a time limit, sometimes a fatuously short one.

To some extent, I can understand this, because the press corps is way bigger than at one time, and consequently there are many more requests for interviews. What I find less acceptable, though, is that nowadays a PR will sit there through the interview, recording the whole thing, so as to have a record of precisely what was said.

This, of course, is so that, if a driver is misquoted, his team can take issue with the journalist – and I’m sure there have been times aplenty when that has happened. Naturally, though, anyone thinking him or herself a relatively serious journalist finds the practice a touch offensive. Leaving aside any question of integrity, I’ve always thought in terms of, ‘If you let them down, they’ll never trust you again’, and of course the same goes for anything related in confidence, and plainly ‘off record’.

As a journalist, for me the main problem with having PRs-with-recorders on hand is that inevitably their presence is intrusive, and can have an intimidatory effect on the person being interviewed. I well remember asking Rubens Barrichello, in his Ferrari days, about the joys of being Michael Schumacher’s team-mate, and his briefly contorted facial expression said, ‘I can’t answer that with her (the PR) here…” Fortunately, Rubens being Rubens, he later caught up with me in the paddock, apologised – and gave me the answer to my question…

Now, in certain cases, people are starting to demand the questions in advance, so as to have carefully manicured answers prepared. Usually, if you’ve been around a while, and are known and reasonably trusted, that doesn’t happen, but on the rare occasions when it has I have simply declined the interview. Even more extreme is the request for ‘copy control’, permitting the subject of the interview effectively to ‘sub’ what the journalist has written – to tone it down, perhaps to remove something a little contentious which he now wishes he had not said.

Not a chance, as far I’m concerned – although quite often I’ve said at the time, “Are you sure you want to say that on record?”, and I’m invariably sympathetic if someone later says, “Look, do me a favour – I think I was a bit over the top when I said that about so-and-so…”

That’s how people should behave when they trust each other, I believe – and people who trust you will tell you things you may not, for reasons of libel, be immediately able to write, but still need to know: “You didn’t get this from me, but…”

Not a phrase you’re ever going to hear at a press conference, I’m afraid.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks Phil

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:44 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks, nice read!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:45 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Thanks Phil! That's a great article by Nigel Roebuck as usual.

The fact is that everyone in the (F1) world has to play a part of a politician when ever you have to answer a question that other than your closest people might be listening. Everything is so sterile and watered out that once someone says something that has a spirit in it, people go for the second act, which is gasping and being offended. The third act is obvioulsy the person giving a public apology for his outrageous act. It really sickens me.

Thankfully Kimi has never fell in to that format and we don't expect him to play by these rules. Media/People tried to be outraged by what Kimi said to the team radio (or when he was having a shit at Interlagos 2006) but the political correctness act never kicked in, because Kimi didn't start playing by those rules. They don't make T-shirts about what drivers are saying in the press conference!

Kimi is the only driver who dares to be himself in front of any media, he couldn't care less about what they say about his comments. And Finnish F1-media has learned to work this way, they don't make the headlines about how outrageous things drivers said. Thanks to this, we get awesome comments from Sebastian Vettel in FINNISH and in english. Vettel dares to be edgy with us as he knows he don't get roadsted afterwards.

Vettel actually has this smirk on his face when he's talking for our coverage that he doesn't seem to be having with the other medias. There's a big difference with the tone and content from my point of view. So maybe there's a secret behind the work that different reporters does? Maybe Finnish media has learned to work by Kimi's code and gives that same room for the other drivers too, meaning that our globally unknown reporters don't want to go stepping on toes of the few drivers who can give casual interviews for the small budget coverage.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The thing is, teams make sure their drivers are restrained in order to keep sponsors happy. But the daft thing is, most fans prefer charismatic drivers who speak their mind or have a personality. Having Kimi on board has increased Lotus's fanbase massively - the results on track help of course - but still... I'd rather talk to someone like Kimi than just get PR answers...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:28 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

phil1993 wrote:
The thing is, teams make sure their drivers are restrained in order to keep sponsors happy. But the daft thing is, most fans prefer charismatic drivers who speak their mind or have a personality. Having Kimi on board has increased Lotus's fanbase massively - the results on track help of course - but still... I'd rather talk to someone like Kimi than just get PR answers...

And what amuses me the most is that Lotus got lots of more sponsor money thanks to media attention focused on Kimi. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:37 pm 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

And here's an exciting preview of the 2013 Lotus. More abstract angle than the McLaren!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:02 pm 
"club baby seals", sounds like some delicious sandwich

NVirkkula wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

And what amuses me the most is that Lotus got lots of more sponsor money thanks to media attention focused on Kimi. :lol:

There is very interesting academic research on the fact that a lot of big brands & corporations don't really realize this effect of 'controversialness'. F1 teams and sports in general certainly fit in that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:35 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

Kimi though came come dangerously close to rude, which isn't a postive characteristic in anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:57 pm 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

StanV wrote:
NVirkkula wrote:
phil1993 wrote:

There is very interesting academic research on the fact that a lot of big brands & corporations don't really realize this effect of 'controversialness'. F1 teams and sports in general certainly fit in that.

That was one of the subjects for the thesis this year in my Master, I didn't get it though :( Got stupid online shop choice, yawn.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:07 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Once big sponsors "get" this effect of 'controversialness' then we all will get part of "professional wrestling" into our motorsports.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:07 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Can't we just get the dutch TV reporters to run all the F1 media?

Remember the Paul Stoddart interview, as he starts self-censoring himself they remind him you CAN swear on Dutch television and the result was one of the all time classic F1 interviews, one of the only good parts of that shitty race.

Any time there's that kind of passion and reality the PR people want to smoosh it down into an offensive, bland nothing of a statement and it's gone on for too long now...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:10 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
Can't we just get the dutch TV reporters to run all the F1 media?

Remember the Paul Stoddart interview, as he starts self-censoring himself they remind him you CAN swear on Dutch television and the result was one of the all time classic F1 interviews, one of the only good parts of that shitty race.

Any time there's that kind of passion and reality the PR people want to smoosh it down into an offensive, bland nothing of a statement and it's gone on for too long now...

Dutch F1 media became pretty shit the last years, but that is more due to budget.

Anyway here the interview for the lolz.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY7IdWpqYXI[/youtubeidiot]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 6683 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 17335 Next