TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 546 Next

What will happen at this weekend's race?
Vettel will become World Champion 7%  7%  [ 17 ]
Alonso will retake the lead in Championship 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
Hamilton will suffer from McLaren reliability 6%  6%  [ 15 ]
Mercedes will continue their pointless end to the season 12%  12%  [ 30 ]
Grosjean will screw up on lap one 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Maldonado will find someone or something to hit 8%  8%  [ 21 ]
TBK'ers will complain about the circuit and endless run off 20%  20%  [ 50 ]
The race will be incredible 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
The race will be boring 9%  9%  [ 23 ]
Kimi will win again 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
NASCAR will be more interesting 6%  6%  [ 14 ]
Go Blue Deuce 11%  11%  [ 27 ]
Total votes: 249
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:22 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Those at the track seem to be giving a very positive impression for this track...

I dunno, I'll wait and see. And since they decided to race at the same time as the NASCAR finale (and NASCAR has got a lot of attention after last week's finish ) they might as well have built a loop-de-loop in it for all the attention it'll get them.

I don't think the long back straight will generate much overtaking either since it has the Maggots/Becketts sequence to keep the cars seperated then a tight hairpin before the straight, and as we learn from Abu Dhabi and the final corner at Long Beach, amongst other places, slow corners before long straights do nothing for overtaking.

But then, it's 2012 and what we've learnt this year is that even the shittiest tracks but on great racing so we should probably hope it's a piss-poor design then the race will end up great in this backwards world in which we live.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:04 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There's over an hour between the two start times, depending how quickly the F1 race runs, you'll only miss the first 20-30 or so laps of the NASCAR if you really insist on giving F1 priority, the F1 starts 7pm and the green flag for the Cup is 8.18pm (UK times), I don't know how long the F1 race projections are but lets say it goes SC free, it'll be done by half eight.

If on the other hand you're one of the few people that can stand to watch Brad talking over everybody in the ESPN studio during pre-race, then yeah you're gonna miss the F1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:05 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Ian-S wrote:
There's over an hour between the two start times, depending how quickly the F1 race runs, you'll only miss the first 20-30 or so laps of the NASCAR if you really insist on giving F1 priority, the F1 starts 7pm and the green flag for the Cup is 8.18pm (UK times), I don't know how long the F1 race projections are but lets say it goes SC free, it'll be done by half eight.

If on the other hand you're one of the few people that can stand to watch Brad talking over everybody in the ESPN studio during pre-race, then yeah you're gonna miss the F1.

It's not about us though is it, more the American motorsport fan....

With the fall out from last week's batshit insane finish PLUS the tight(ish) championship situation, more people than usual will want to watch the NASCAR Pre-race show and maybe they'll give the new F1 race a look on Speed News highlights or something if it turns out to be a good one.

There's really no reason why they couldn't bring the race forward an hour. Hell half an hour would do as you pointed out.
Or push it back a week. Yes, it means pushing Brazil back another week but we finished in the first weekend of December last year, didn't we? :?

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:15 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

no we didn't. But I don't see it should pose a problem for Brazil. It's not like if we put the race in December that it will be a lot colder, quite on the contrary.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:54 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:53 am 

that's cool. Just a pity the picture doesn't show the corner is way too tight. It could have had the epic A1 radius.

whatever the lay-out however, my compliments to the organisation for preparing a track that actually looks ready to host a major event.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:15 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Turn 1 makes me wonder, what are the chances of something like this happening because of a bump/hill in the track? Or is something like this impossible nowadays because of the different aero packages?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:24 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

The cars will be slowing down to make a corner, Winkelhock's crash was at full tilt. Won't happen.

If anything, the cars may scrape the floors on the bottom of the hill.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Impossible because they 1) are braking up the hill, 2) cars create downforce even without wings & 3) by the time they get to the lift point (the crest) they are no where near take off velocity.

@
codename_47
, to quote Spock, the needs of the many outweight the needs of the few. F1 in America is broadcast on Speed, this NASCAR race on ESPN, as I understand it ESPN is available in 10x as many households as Speed, think of it this way, NASCAR is on the BBC and the GP is on Sky Atlantic. The only American's who are going to be remotely bothered are hardcore fans of both series, average Joe NASCAR redneck would rather shag their sister than watch the GP. The International TV audience and "corporate hospitality" is far more important to F1 than a clash with NASCAR.

Either that or Bernie/COTA* are that arrogant/dumb* to think more people will want to watch F1 than NASCAR.... *delete as applicable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:55 pm 

Tobias wrote:
my compliments to the organisation for preparing a track that actually looks ready to host a major event.

yeah they've done a great job getting the track ready and in record time as well this was the track in April this year

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:38 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Fermani2 wrote:
Turn 1 makes me wonder, what are the chances of something like this happening because of a bump/hill in the track? Or is something like this impossible nowadays because of the different aero packages?

Cars nowadays got too much downforce and Winkelhock's March F2 car had a broken front wing so he lost downforce and he was going flat out into Flugplatz.

Really with the current open wheelers or closed cars and their downforce levels. I only can think of them flying at the new Slovakiaring.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:42 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Thank you guys :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

bigears wrote:
Fermani2 wrote:

Cars nowadays got too much downforce and Winkelhock's March F2 car had a broken front wing so he lost downforce and he was going flat out into Flugplatz.

Really with the current open wheelers or closed cars and their downforce levels. I only can think of them flying at the new Slovakiaring.

The one where they've now put in a chicane because of one incident to one car?

F1 would probably demand that crest bulldozed flat if they ever threatened to race there.

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:36 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

codename_47 wrote:
The one where they've now put in a chicane because of one incident to one car?

F1 would probably demand that crest bulldozed flat if they ever threatened to race there.

The one where some not terribly fast GT3 cars were getting air. Must you try and bitch about everything? When cars are coming off the ground, shit gets done about it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:39 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Come on ellis, you know better than to need to ask that question.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

God, I love this place but I hate this place sometimes....

Twitter:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:47 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I don't know where I'll be looking when the Nascar race starts, probably find a way to watch both. But my biggest expectations this weekend is into the first Free Practice tomorrow. Just to see how they will start to tackle the race track and how the times and race lines will evolve. Plus the brazillian comentators during the practice are the only ones worth hearing to in Brazil.

Also, lovely conversation about F1 tracks. I really hate this tracks with no flow. Everyone love's Spa and Suzuka, everyone knows that, because those tracks let the race cars actually RACE. They're meant to go fast and there they actually can do that. All other places are just blue balls, frustrating, short straights and slow corners. EVERYONE knows why Spa and Suzuka are good, though all new tracks have this kart like design. Some may say the reason was the lack of overtakes. But Spa had overtakes, and some older circuits had aswell. But the other aspect is the fake looking. Everything so modern and artifial. Nurburbring have a lot of corners but they look natural. The new tracks have this fake look all over it. Have slow corners and short straights. You may say it was the lack of overtakes, but the problem wasn't in the tracks and you did need to spoil all the F1 circuits to have them.

Hopefully now, with all the aero changes - not counting DRS. And tyres, plus kers and DRS. The new designed circuits could be based in bring chills out of the drivers, making the speed and emotions on driving trough the circuit alone big enough already. Like it is in Spa and Suzuka.

Another thing, hairpins are not the problem, theese two tracks have them and they're great. Is the "fast" sections that actually sucks, they're still turtle speed like.

About the track properly:
And having a stadium section also are not a problem. Some stadiuns like Hockenheim are fantastic, the stadium section is pourly designed. Anyway a good stadium section could be great if the first turnly section after T2 were faster. The track in general shouldn't have so many hairpins. And the exit of the stadium section, that wondefull corner, only make me sad of what if could be, if it had a bigger straight coming to it and not another bigger straigh coming out of it. Damn. Now that's a lot of ways of fuking up a circuit that could be so awesome.

Yet I'm really looking forward for this race. It's not the track that makes the race great, is the competition, can't go without it. The slow sections can bunch people up so they can try to overtake on the straights. And I just want to see how the race will actually flow once the red lights come off.

Last edited by Soul Reaver on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
God, I love this place but I hate this place sometimes....

If you make a large rod for your own back don't complain when it starts hitting you on the back of the head... :p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:53 pm 
Permabanned

HRT confirms Ma Qing Hua for FP1.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Getting ready to head to Austin in one hour..

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 546 Next