TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 546 Next

What will happen at this weekend's race?
Vettel will become World Champion 7%  7%  [ 17 ]
Alonso will retake the lead in Championship 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
Hamilton will suffer from McLaren reliability 6%  6%  [ 15 ]
Mercedes will continue their pointless end to the season 12%  12%  [ 30 ]
Grosjean will screw up on lap one 4%  4%  [ 11 ]
Maldonado will find someone or something to hit 8%  8%  [ 21 ]
TBK'ers will complain about the circuit and endless run off 20%  20%  [ 50 ]
The race will be incredible 6%  6%  [ 16 ]
The race will be boring 9%  9%  [ 23 ]
Kimi will win again 4%  4%  [ 9 ]
NASCAR will be more interesting 6%  6%  [ 14 ]
Go Blue Deuce 11%  11%  [ 27 ]
Total votes: 249
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:08 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Mäth wrote:
The new plague is India-like hairpins :(

Compare t8 - t9 area to the map.

It's different. T2 also seems to have a bigger radius.

I think the T9 is either going to spoil the flow and make the whole 1st sector awful, like T5 does to 2nd sector at India. Or the T9 is the place where people can either make or break their fast laps and maybe giving better overtaking chance for a following car for T11.

I can't really tell if that's a good modification or not.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:05 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

What I mainly read on this forum these days is "waaaa waaaa, I hate DRS, I hate KERS, the DRS zone is too short, the DRS zone is too long, overtaking is too easy, there's too much run off, the straights are too long, the straights are too short, I don't like the paint on the runoffs, there are too many hairpins, Tilke is ruining F1 tracks" etc etc. just get over it ffs, we've had one of the best F1 season's ever yet people still complain.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:14 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Yes the racing has been great this year. BUT we complain about the tracks because every track after Sepang that Tilke has designed looks pretty much exactly the same and has zero characteristics. Even Turkey has the same pointless sequence of corners as all his other tracks after turn 1 to 8. Sepang I believe was his first full track, and in my opinion the best, free flowing and interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Scotty wrote:
These hairpins promote dive bombing.

lol, that's a funny way to put it because divebombing is usually frowned upon as a wild move at best, if not completely botched and desperate (and therefore entertaining, obviously :p ). I hated those hairpins look at first, but I have to admit they easily produce good racing, cross-overs and side-by-side runs after exit.

Too bad the 7-8-9 is not the fast esses leading to a very high speed approach to 11, which the map misleads into thinking. It will be a bit less spectacular to watch but may improve racing in the pack. Braking for T8 also looks tricky.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:46 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Could be wrong but this is the last fully permanent new circuit to join the F1 calendar for some time, Russia and New Jersey are both fully or in part temporary circuits

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've got low expectations for this race. Even though I've seen no action on track so far I already like it more than Indy.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Indy was a pretty poor layout, though. It was just a novelty to race on a small part of the oval, and with a great place to overtake at the first corner. Then again, Indy actually had some grass and gravel, rather than the current trend of painting white lines on an expanse of tarmac.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:51 pm 
God Complex Ahoy!
God Complex Ahoy!

I don't know what I'm looking forward to most. The Grand Prix or the latest rounds of the combine harvester demolition derby.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:04 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm most looking forward to the chilli cook-off followed by the hot dog eating contest.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:11 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

webbsy wrote:
Yes the racing has been great this year. BUT we complain about the tracks because every track after Sepang that Tilke has designed looks pretty much exactly the same and has zero characteristics. Even Turkey has the same pointless sequence of corners as all his other tracks after turn 1 to 8. Sepang I believe was his first full track, and in my opinion the best, free flowing and interesting.

This. So much this. I hope COTA will put on a good race, and I REALLY want to like it. But they make it tough. Turn 1s awesome hill is kinda wasted on a hairpin, but it isn't too bad. The esses are NOT Silverstone like (just watch the video to see), and the final part has been stealthily changed to a horrible 90 deg low-medium speed corner, killing the little flow it had. There is a big hill on the backstraight which isn't being utilised for anything. Then the end of the lap is just 2 stadium sections, because they didn't have a stadium section yet.

It's so close to being awesome but it doesn't fullfil that potential. I hope it provides a good race, but as a race circuit they could've made it better by opening out those esses and making turn 1 more like Red Bull Ring, rather than a hairpin.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:36 pm 
Head Muppet

The Westboro Baptist Church will be protesting the race, apparently.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs/sp ... rmula-one/

Quote:
WBC will picket Formula 1 racing at The Circuit of The Americas in Austin, TX to remind this nation that God hates the vwicked people of this land of vain idolaters and that they shall be turned into Hell. These sporting events resemble the patriotic worship-the-flag pep rallies masquerading as sodlier's funerals in that this Bible-ignorant fools worship these race car drivers like they are little gods! Shame on these people for worshipping these athletes instead of following the plain commandments of their God. They ought to obey today before it is too late. WBC knows they will not, never the less, we will kindly warn them to flee the wrath to come. These are the last days of all, Doomed america. Wake up before you find yourselves cast into the deep pit of endless fire!

Hooray for the crazies.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That must be a first, for internet forums, TBK, F1 and global motorsport in general. To have that bunch of loons featured in a motorsport based discussion.

According to them we're all *a word beginning with F that I cannot say because I'll get banned but sounds like "bags"*.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:55 pm 
God Complex Ahoy!
God Complex Ahoy!

I think about inventing a cult sometimes because I want the chicks and the money.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:57 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That bunch haven't invented a religion but simply live their lives according to the scripture and condemn everyone else in the world for not doing the same, as that is what the great book says (according to their interpretation).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm 

NVirkkula wrote:
I think the T9 is either going to spoil the flow and make the whole 1st sector awful, like T5 does to 2nd sector at India. Or the T9 is the place where people can either make or break their fast laps and maybe giving better overtaking chance for a following car for T11.

T9 will be flat out, look in the already famous videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5gLoxNE7ms

I'm one hell of a moody person, though. Today after seeing it again, the layout didn't seem so crappy to me. I still don't like most of it but T7-T8 isn't so bad, as well as the penultimate corner. I really like T6 as it remembers me Fuji's 100R.

As Tobias pointed out, I fear T16-T18 will also be flat, which will be a shame

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:38 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Bernie will be delighted ... despite having NASCAR and IndyCar on their doorstep, the zealots have chosen to picket F1 as a symbol of idolatry, thus proving its importance ...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:08 pm 

It's okay-ish. I mean, the stadium section's a bit pointless but aside from that, it's not too shabby. Should produce some good racing.

I'd prefer a fast left, akin to Suzuka's 130R as T12 instead of the stadium section. It would make the circuit a lot more flowing as well as create an overtaking opportunity for the brave at T16. That being said, with current F1, it's not going to happen. Too dangerous or some nonsense like that.

Still, always looking forward to new tracks. Bad thinking from FIA to overlap it with NASCAR finale though, as it won't be able to compete in the US.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:47 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Anyway, I love the fact that every year there is a new track. Singapore, Valencia (08), Abu Dhabi (09), Korea (10), India (11) and Austin (12), keeps things interesting!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

kals wrote:
That bunch haven't invented a religion but simply live their lives according to the scripture and condemn everyone else in the world for not doing the same, as that is what the great book says (according to their interpretation).

You lack originality. Your post is just a plain, generic description of any cult. :p

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 12:13 am 

Scotty wrote:
I'm going to be missing the race unfortunately, as I will be in the car on my way to the airport (going to Fiji). Race starts at 6am (Monday), due at the airport at about 7am, watch the first lap at my house, then hopefully by the time I get to the airport I can find a TV in a bar somewhere.

First race since Japan 2006 I will miss(missed that because I was at Bathurst).

maybe that will make Alonso turn from the underdog to the favourite again, after the missed race is finished

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 904 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 546 Next