TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous 153 54 55 56 5789 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:32 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/107834

Quote:
Major features of each step of the plan include:

2013: IndyCar will work with Dallara to reduce the surface area of the underfloor to reduce the potential for lift.

2014: Engine upgrades will be introduced in line with the current homologation process. Downforce adjustments will be made to enhance racing, overtaking, and safety as needed.

2015: Aero kits will be introduced in conjunction with potential changes to the underbody.

2016: Opportunity for tyre development with Firestone if needed, as well as engine enhancements if required.

2017: Possible engine and aero upgrades, and the potential for areas of the car to be opened up for the teams to develop.

2018: Competition enhancements, which will be based on how the 2017 package performs.

2019: The potential introduction of an entirely new engine formula and body style.

2020: Competition enhancements based upon the performance of the 2019 package.

2021: Possible aerodynamic upgrade.

How long before the teams (Or series management) start bitching about cost's or something & Derrick Walker gets fired for helping to come up with sensible proposals which us fans may actually want?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:36 pm 
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.
There are number of people who complain about certain drivers.

Yeah, the multi-year plans always seem to go awry sooner rather than later. And we know the owners are still running the asylum. There will be no free ride for either Walker, Miles or whoever else is there in 2015.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:37 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Well, they're being open about the plan. They can either suck it up or go race somewhere else.

Or, you know, start a bitchfest and get him fired, they like that.

Still, this is the most transparent they've been for a while, I hope that ends up being respected and not moaned about.

Good plan too, looks like next year we get more power and less downforce, which is pretty much all I've ever asked for :)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:42 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I've just read that book by Dr. Steve Olvey, Rapid Response, it gives a really good insight into the incompetence of CART up until the bankruptcy, and to now see the very same people being slotted into management roles at Indycar, I'd give the series 3-5 years before they drive it into the ground again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:49 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

It's a great, great book, highly recommended.

Sorta an Americanised sequel to Professor Watkins book, also great.

One of the main things I remember from it is how racist and homophobic AJ Foyt is....

Yeah, the same guy now running a Japanese driver.... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:07 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

yeah I had to laugh at that, was reading that chapter during the Indy 500 just as the commentators were pointing out the irony of AJ Foyt running a Jap, but they were being so diplomatic about it, I was pissing myself laughing as the Mrs looking on strangely, so I just handed her the book and said read that page you'll understand why the commentators are lost for words

...oh and the bit about Emmo walking around the ward with his "buttocks exposed" while his hospital gown fluttering in the breeze :lol:

The book is a fantastic read, if somewhat very sad at times.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:14 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:20 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

LOL good job my son wasn't there, he had some swan and ducklings eating out his hand at the park the other day, he'd run out there and scoop them up if he was over there :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:22 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Duck, duck, duck, OH FUCK.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:51 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

ooooooooooppppppppppppssssssssss... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:27 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Thoughts?

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:59 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Indycar 36 with Simona de Silvestro

BTW Interesting fact - this show had one of the best viewership numbers for IndyCars on NBCSN - http://sonofthebronx.blogspot.com/2013/ ... rk_31.html

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:39 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I would have probably cried if those ducks got run over. :oops:

Ian-S wrote:
yeah I had to laugh at that, was reading that chapter during the Indy 500 just as the commentators were pointing out the irony of AJ Foyt running a Jap, but they were being so diplomatic about it, I was pissing myself laughing as the Mrs looking on strangely, so I just handed her the book and said read that page you'll understand why the commentators are lost for words

Yes, it still seems hard to believe that Sato drives Foyt's #14. I thought the Pearl Harbour grudge held by seemingly every American from that time, especially someone like Foyt, would have prevented that from ever happening.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'm sure the amount of $$$ Sato had in his hand made the problem go away...

Everybody has a price as the saying goes :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:33 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

And the fact he's getting some pretty handy results

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Juihi wrote:
And the fact he's getting some pretty handy results

Which not many expected when the season started, but now I wouldn't be amazed if he would be in the title fight...for the road courses at least. And his "Spin 'n' 13th" at Indy was pretty epic too. Nice catch, I mean.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:02 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Servia in for both Texas and Iowa.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:21 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

Indy Cars at Pocono Could Rival Indy 500

Date: 6/2/2013 11:50:38 PM

Indy Cars at Pocono Could Rival Indy 500

By DINO OBERTO .... “Keeping Track”

When Tony Kanaan won last week’s Indy 500 it was one for the ages. Record after record fell including 68 lead changes which was double the previous mark set in 2012. It is already being called the best Indy 500 to date and the question is how they will top it.

That race showed what many already know, that the IZOD Indy Car Series is amazingly competitive and not just at Indianapolis. Every race this year has had loads of drama and finishes that have been played out right to the last lap.

Topping the Indy 500 will not be easy but critics are already looking ahead to July 7 when the series’ makes its long awaited return to Pocono Raceway.

When the track had a complete repave last year, talk immediately swirled of Indy Cars returning. In October of last year it was announced that the Pocono Indy 400 would be held marking a return of open wheel racing after 24 years. The buzz has been nonstop since. Along with the new blacktop and adding to the fact that Pocono is much wider than Indy, experts feel the 400 mile contest will be a close match to last Sunday.

“We’re anticipating an unbelievable race. Seeing the quality of cars and what they had there (Indy) we can anticipate racing as good if not better the way this (Pocono) track lays out. They will be drafting on each other and not be able to spread out like they use to at Indy or here back in the late ‘80s. The field will be kept tight and I think you will see multiple passes per lap and each trip down the front straightaway will be multiple passing,” said Pocono senior vice president Nick Igdalsky.

“I’m not trying to toot our own horn but this could very well be the best race on the Indy Car tour. I think you’ll see a remarkable finish here.”

Pocono should indeed provide a great race and close finish. The new Indy Car has been designed to keep the racing close and the fabricating engineers hit the nail on the head. Their oval package is spot on and the drafting will be like nothing ever seen before at the Tricky Triangle. They will be able to punch a hole in the air that will allow for cars spreading across the entire front straight.

“With the (NASCAR) Cup cars on the new pavement we saw 208-209(mph) down the end of the front straightaway so we saw those big numbers. Where it’s going to be sustained is your average speed is going to be 212-215 in that range, that’s unbelievable. You’re talking about going down into (turn) one and doing a light lift at 230 mph. That’s pretty fast. You don’t have a speedometer but that tunnel vision starts to hit. They’ll be drafting and doing at least two or three lead changes just down the front straight,” said Igdalsky.

“I’ve driven around here fast enough to scare myself and I was nowhere near 200. They’ll going 220 and change down the front straight and 216 average laps. There is no other way to describe it other than those guys are daredevils.”

Pocono’s layout was built with Indy Car in mind thus the unique three corners. From 1971 to 1989 the masters of American open wheel racing ruled there. Then the ill-fated split in the 1990s took place that helped put NASCAR at the forefront of motorsports.

Indy Car is back on solid footing and the timing is perfect for a return to Pocono. The track’s layout will allow for five and six wide down the front stretch with room for more than one grove in the turns. It would not be surprising to see three abreast going through flat turn three. At Indy it is difficult to go out of line through the corners in a two-wide fashion.

“To see what they did Sunday at Indy, it definitely makes the excitement around here that much higher when they come back,” Pocono track president Brandon Igdalsky said.

“To see that race (Indy 500) with 68 lead changes, that was insane. Nick and I were sitting there and literally could not turn our back and walk.

“When I saw that car last year and how it reacted on both ovals and road courses out of the box, I knew that they had something. Now teams have had a year to fidget with it and really get to know it. The racing this year has been phenomenal.”

With Pocono now on the Indy Car schedule it also marks the return of the Triple Crown. If one driver can win races at Indy, Pocono and Fontana there is a million dollar bonus. Kanaan is line thanks to his Indy victory. However, if one driver can win two out of three, there is a $250,000 bonus.

“They’re (drivers) pumped to come to Pocono. I went down to their Media Day before their season started and talked to a lot of them and they are excited about coming back here. The guys who know the history of this sport are real excited because if you look at the list of winners who won this race, it is the Hall of Fame for Indy Car. To put your name on that list with the legends who won in the past is big,” noted Brandon Igdalsky.

It was Brandon Igdalsky who got the ball rolling to bring the series to Long Pond.

“It actually wasn’t that bad. Once we did all the changes, Nick and I had a plan to bring in a lot more events be it racing or non-racing events and really use this facility. I had gone down to St. Petersburg last year and figured I would zip on over and check out the Indy Car race while I was there. The last time I had seen one was right here in 1989,” he explained.

“I went and met with the Indy Car folks and at that time there was no talk about bringing the Indy Cars back. Because I was there the media saw me so they started talking, fans started talking and we realized at that point maybe we can make something work here.

“So we went and put a real tough study together that we mixed in with local race fans, non-race fans, sports fans and we realized that Indy Car here is in need. It was an easy process overall and an exciting process.”

Even former Indy Car champ turned NASCAR star Tony Stewart feels that the Pocono 400 will be a must see.

“I think the racing here will be spectacular especially after what you saw at Indianapolis,” said Stewart who was testing his Cup car at Pocono earlier this week.

Added Nick Igdalsky, “As a fan of racing in general it was just fun to see cars out there going 230(mph) plus whiz by you going down the front straight when we had our tire test in April.

“The anticipation of what these guys are going to do as far racing, it’s not going to be like Talladega or Daytona, but they’ll definitely be a lot of drafting and field will stay pretty close together and I think you’re going to see some remarkable racing.”

http://news.southjerseydirtracing.com/D ... 930&page=1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:29 am 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Pocono will be amazing (provided it doesn't rain)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:58 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Kanaan was on the Letterman show. Great interview except where he killed Senna a year too soon.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1765 posts ]  Go to page Previous 153 54 55 56 5789 Next