TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35

The winner of the IndyCar Championship is...
Will Power 23%  23%  [ 21 ]
Ryan Hunter-Reay 29%  29%  [ 26 ]
Not Dario Franchitti 48%  48%  [ 43 ]
Total votes: 90
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:33 pm 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNQGkxNe_J8[/youtubeidiot]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:27 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

ellis wrote:
I wouldn't say Sato is an idiot, but it's not a co-incidence that he decided both the Indy 500 and IndyCar Championship by crashing on the last lap, lol. :lol:

Indeed. But please, he needs to get it together sometime too. I feel kinda robbed on yet another finish.

Just my random notes about this race:

Hildebrand looked terrific early on. Too bad it went sour on him.
Power sucks on the ovals.
Superb race by Carpenter. Truly deserved the win.
Where did Franchitti come from?
I hope Briscoe does not come back to Penske again. That was just horrible.
The racing was about as great as a Indycar race can be. Butt clenching, but safe. A proper old school 500-miler, loved every second of it, even though I wanted Power for the title.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:08 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

iks wrote:
I still find it hard to believe Will Power actually crashed out of the race, not even close to half distance.

I also find it hard to believe Sato crashed with what, less than one lap to go? How does someone go almost 500 miles and just lose it like that at the end?

It's too bad that we couldn't see if Helio had enough speed to overtake RHR. Great strategy by Team Penske nonetheless.

You've never driven a race car, have you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:11 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Had to tape this and watch it Saturday night (late)... Fast forwarded very little. This really was a great race for all the reasons said all ready. The day into night racing kept the teams honest and the front had a good mix all night.

I did want Power to win the title, and when he crashed I almost couldn't believe it. But, to his teams credit, they went down swinging. Very few teams could've put that thing back together to get out there and make 12 laps. While it didn't play out, that could've made all the difference with RHR struggling for long stretches in that race.

Really going to miss Bob Jenkins. Basically grew up as a race fan with him calling the races. When he came back to TV to call the Indycar races with Jon and Wally I was really excited and after that first rough year, these three I think became one of the best crews in the business.

Really just great stuff all around. I do wonder if Penske is re-thinking letting Briscoe win at Sonoma...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:42 pm 
Eddie Jordan

This was a really good race. The series needs more ovals (theres 2 good ones here in Europe guys!)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:22 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Speedworx wrote:
This was a really good race. The series needs more ovals (theres 2 good ones here in Europe guys!)

Where are they? Rockingham doesn't count. 1.5 miles with 4 corners is too short for high end single seaters, they won't fit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:55 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Speedworx wrote:

Where are they? Rockingham doesn't count. 1.5 miles with 4 corners is too short for high end single seaters, they won't fit.

Was Rockingham that bad when CART raced there? I only saw the BBC highlights, not the live coverage, don't remember the races been that exciting but they didn't seem disastrous either.

Of course, it'd be madness for Indycar to start having European adventures before getting itself reestablished in America first.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:17 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

IndyCar at Fontana Draws 229,000 Viewers

http://pressdog.typepad.com/dogblog/201 ... iding.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:51 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ellis wrote:
Speedworx wrote:

I'm surprised you think that. The first CART race at Rockingham was very good with an epic finish. I don't remember much about the second.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:45 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

yay full race

yanks only because tony george is an idiot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 am 

kals wrote:
ellis wrote:
Speedworx wrote:

I'm surprised you think that. The first CART race at Rockingham was very good with an epic finish. I don't remember much about the second.

Only thing I remember is Kenny Bräck dominating until a bad pit stop, couldn't gain any ground at all after that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:41 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

kals wrote:
ellis wrote:
Speedworx wrote:

Good finish, but bad racing otherwise. It was similar to NASCAR at Indy when JPM was leading - cars couldn't follow each other, and the straights were too short for the cars to gain any ground.

Rockingham has 4 different corners because Europeans don't take well to ovals. So 4 different corners makes it as much as a road course as possible. It might suit those ASCAR Late Models but you need bigger gaps between the corners for high powered single seaters to make up the gap they lose in the corners. It's kinda the same problem CART had at Brands Hatch really. I like Rockingham, but CART didn't work much there.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That and the utterly ridiculous pitstop window they had at Brands.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:16 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Finally catching up with this, really great drama at the end. Sato never fails to deliver, though I would have hated him for life had he taken RHR out.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:15 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

i can't help but wonder, had the Qingdao race not been canceled, if Will Power would have won the championship. I'm leaning towards a yes... :p

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:56 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

ellis wrote:
Good finish, but bad racing otherwise. It was similar to NASCAR at Indy when JPM was leading - cars couldn't follow each other, and the straights were too short for the cars to gain any ground.

Rockingham has 4 different corners because Europeans don't take well to ovals. So 4 different corners makes it as much as a road course as possible. It might suit those ASCAR Late Models but you need bigger gaps between the corners for high powered single seaters to make up the gap they lose in the corners. It's kinda the same problem CART had at Brands Hatch really. I like Rockingham, but CART didn't work much there.

Well from what I saw of it, it wasn't great for ASCAR either.

Pickup trucks were, and still are, amazing around there though, wish that series was higher profile because every race is like Dega with no big ones there.

I don't know why they designed it like they did tbh.
If they were going to go down the "show the Brits a taste of America" route they should've built something like what they did in Australia, modeled it on a high profile US oval like Charlotte or, dare I say it, Daytona or Talladega.

Though I'm willing to bet they didn't have access to that much land, but they could've at least thrown some banking at it, sheesh.

The CART races there were about as good as the track could give you (last lap pass can't be sneezed at tbh) but once they went it ends up being a bit of an anachronism, an oval that runs only road course racing for 95% of its dates...

Oh well, at least it's still able to keep its head above water....just.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 696 posts ]  Go to page Previous 131 32 33 34 35