TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1115 Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:19 pm 

In an F1 pitlane there's certainly no truck loading ramps at helmet height. Cars are not fired up in paddocks, not even the GP2/GP3 ones. There are safety cars but I can't imagine a crash with a safety car reaching the cockpit. What I say is that there seems to be a stringent policy when a track must host an F1 GP, with metres and metres of asphalt run-offs, but testing, and especially airfield testing is not subject to that.

I remember drivers complaining about the lower level of safety in off-season testing. If you're driving the same cars, then maybe you'd expect the same standard?

And no, I don't want closed cockpits, because it's possible to keep solid things away from hitting them. Distancing cars so as not to create pack-racing in Wheldon's case, stronger tethers in Surtees' case, and trucks safely away from what is called track or pit-lane in de Villota's case.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:24 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

ellis wrote:
Jordi wrote:
Well, if it was down to Monaco officials Maldonado would've never driven again there... I'm not comparing de Villota to Pastor, just saying that mistakes made in the past aren't necessarily the cause of errors today.

But there's a difference between driving like an idiot and not having the ability to control a car. She was dangerously slow and reckless in Superleague Formula, and she wouldn't even be allowed near an F1 car if she didn't have money.

F1 needs to stop this trend of inexperienced and rich drivers buying reserve slots so they can run up and down runways. It doesn't help the sport, and it's just been proven that it's an added pointless danger.

I hope she'll be ok, but I think it's time the FIA had a look at drivers who won't even possibly qualify for a super license being allowed to drive dangerous machines.

Good post :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:26 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Why does someone need to be made the scapegoat? It was an accident. It's not like it's happened a million times before, thing happen from time to time that can't be predicted.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:32 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

"Shit happens".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:45 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Marussia and a lame woman driver - that looks poor enough :/ hope she is ok.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:51 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

So glad to wake up this morning to find that she is conscious

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Wow, bit late to this one, but shocking news, no doubt.

I hate the kind of blame culture that goes on in these threads (and, of course, everywhere else too) as soon as a crash like this happens.

The woman is still lying in a hospital bed and some are ready to criticise her without evidence of any wrongdoing so far.
And yes, the opposite is true that some people will defend her with the same lack of any evidence.

It's too raw atm to go mining through the data of what happened so can't we just wish her all the best without descending to a "one side vs the other" argument like so many threads are descending into these days? :?

....and all she was doing was testing improvements to try to ensure Marussia weren't the slowest team on the grid.
Doesn't seem worth it now really, does it? :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:03 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ditto on Codename's thoughts. There's no confirmation of her condition or permanent injuries let alone the cause of the crash, so let's go to town on her driving record!

Not sure if this was already posted (most of the previously posted images aren't working for me) but here's the clearest view I've seen yet of the accident - not graphic but pretty scary looking.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:08 am 

phil1993 wrote:
Until we know the state of the injuries and an official account of the cause of the accident, it's futile to make assumptions based on nothing but guesses and prejudices.

We know Maria's record is hardly awe-inspiring, but to automatically assign blame on her shoulders, without telemetry or video evidence, is pointless at this stage.

I agree with you that the discussion is completely pointless and prejudiced. I wish her a good coming through from such a terrible situation.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:44 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Looks like the women in the picture is getting pulled out of the way from the scene.. She looks to be in shock and horror.. So sad to such a nice person. I hope she pulls though but, not a great way to crash.

Any update on injury's? I hope it did not go through the visor...

Post subject: Maria de Villota injured
PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:53 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

codename_47 wrote:
It's too raw atm to go mining through the data of what happened so can't we just wish her all the best without descending to a "one side vs the other" argument like so many threads are descending into these days? :?

This!

And I am now watching closely .. We keep away from the blame game until the facts are clear and the condition of the injured party is confirmed!

It's your forum and I paid the bills this year.. :p :p

and if people don't like it they shouldComplain here

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:53 am 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

Philthy82 wrote:
Ditto on Codename's thoughts. There's no confirmation of her condition or permanent injuries let alone the cause of the crash, so let's go to town on her driving record!

Not sure if this was already posted (most of the previously posted images aren't working for me) but here's the clearest view I've seen yet of the accident - not graphic but pretty scary looking.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Is that white plate a truck loading ramp? If it is, it's very heavy and has a sharp edge and it seems to be on helmet's level.

This is an example of truck loading ramp.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

I hope it's not the top of her helmet on the left ending in the Philty82's picture. That could mean terrible injuries. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:38 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If it hits the helmet at such a speed seems okay. But it's quite scary to imagine that hitting her in the visor. :o

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:42 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I wonder if we will ever really know the truth about what happened.

Would Marussia admit something technically was wrong?
Would Maria admit she did something wrong?

Either way FIA should really investigate this. Imagine this would happen in the pitlane during a pitstop in the race.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:21 am 
Admin - Shareholder
Admin - Shareholder

I'm sure that police in the area will demand an investigation. FIA would be fools if they didn't order one (so don't expect them to do anything).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:02 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Here's my thoughts about the accident... Maria is an okay driver and she deserved a chance at getting behind the wheel. My thought is that she came into the pit transporter area to turn the car around for another run down the runway. When she tried to turn the car the cars tires being cold started to push and Maria did not expect the lack of grip from the tires at that speed. She then plowed into the transporter truck that just happened to have the loading deck at the that weird height. Its just a freak accident that hopefully she will survive.

Now the FIA and all local authorities need to look at the cars data and i would really investigate the tire temps at that time.

But at the end of the day we all need to be praying for here quick recovery.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:10 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Spanish FIA World Council member Carlos Gracia said last night she was undergoing emergency surgery, so we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope whatever has happened to her is something that can mend itself.

Edit: Just seen on Twitter that he said she has been moved to London, and has a fractured skull.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:27 am 
Russian Propaganda Machine - Benelux Division

yes, she may be conscious and all, but a head injury is still major stuff. Hope she recovers well, a bit like Mika in 1995 (not that I see her winning 2 championships though :p ).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:55 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Just imagining the accident and potential injuries she has really makes me cringe. :(

Wishing her a full recovery.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

Last edited by Slam on Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am 

Quote:
ivanF1
#F1 RFEA president Mr. Gracia confirms Maria de Villota has been moved to a London hospital for an operation on a fractured skull
9:01 AM - 4 Jul 12

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 299 posts ]  Go to page Previous 17 8 9 10 1115 Next