TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1462 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Only saw a few bits of the FP coverage today, is there likely to be a serious tyre issue this weekend? Are the teams running low on full wet tyres, or are the tyres just not lasting long enough in wet conditions.

With regards to conditions at Silverstone, the organisers probably won't expecting the heaviest rain of the year so far to occur in July...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:17 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Silverstone was grid lock exiting last year after WEC, F1 was always going to be worse.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:18 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

gd49 wrote:
With regards to conditions at Silverstone, the organisers probably won't expecting the heaviest rain of the year so far to occur in July...

This :thumbsup:

The country has received far more rain this time of year, compared to recent years, and it's been focused in a very short space of time. The organisors should not be criticized for trying to deal with circumstances beyond their control.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:10 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

gd49 wrote:
Only saw a few bits of the FP coverage today, is there likely to be a serious tyre issue this weekend? Are the teams running low on full wet tyres, or are the tyres just not lasting long enough in wet conditions.

each driver has only 3 sets. So if it would be 'full wet' all the weekend, that might be a problem, especially if at some time the race may see very wet/intermediat/very wet conditions.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:11 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

RtN wrote:
The track is now telling people to stay away tomorrow.

Yeah I can't believe they're telling all people with general parking to stay away! Only hospitality and park & ride are ok. Must be really bad. I only hope conditions aren't so bad tomorrow so the car parks can recover/be fixed somehow for Sunday.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:12 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Apparently they will be refunding people that didn't actually watch anything.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Bloody hell, looks like a mess at the moment.

I want to be clear as my Sunday coach leaves at 4pm. I want to clarify on a new F1 rule, if the race started at 1pm then with safety cars and a red flag period (like Montreal 2011) and then how long until the race must finish?

Is it four hours after the race start?

So I am worried if it happens at Silverstone then there is a chance I might miss the end of the race because of the new F1 rule because my Megabus coach leaves at 4pm!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:52 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Fish88 wrote:
People complaining about traffic should go to Zandvoort.

well, actually getting there in time is no problem. But after the race...oh god

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:03 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Train is perfect at Zandvoort. Car not so much.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:23 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

bigears wrote:

I want to be clear as my Sunday coach leaves at 4pm. I want to clarify on a new F1 rule, if the race started at 1pm then with safety cars and a red flag period (like Montreal 2011) and then how long until the race must finish?

So I am worried if it happens at Silverstone then there is a chance I might miss the end of the race because of the new F1 rule because my Megabus coach leaves at 4pm!

I think, think it's a total of four hours from the official start time, i.e. if it started at 1pm, it must finish by 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:25 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How long before Bernie starts complaining about the situation. It was the similar 2000 mess that really got him on the BRDC's back last time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:38 pm 

In a way, I think they deserve to lose the race again. It's absolutely disgusting how they handle grand prix's, and not just this year. Every year its chaos however the rain has just added an extra element this year. You'd think after the decades they've been running this it'd get better, but it's the same every damn year.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:41 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

StefMeister wrote:
How long before Bernie starts complaining about the situation. It was the similar 2000 mess that really got him on the BRDC's back last time.

Well that's not exactly true. Before 2000 the traffic in and out of Silverstone had always been bad. Good access was non-existant but fans accepted it as part of the event. After the race my family and I used to have a BBQ next to our car to wait for the traffic to die down. We weren't alone either. It was fun.

In 2000 the race was moved to April, and the calendar was only announced in the very early parts of 2000. April is traditionally wet but the amount of rain that fell in the run up to the GP was unprecedented. Much like the situation this weekend. The organisors can do a lot to help plan for most eventualities, but let's be fair on them, they're not miracle workers.

Fergie wrote:
In a way, I think they deserve to lose the race again. It's absolutely disgusting how they handle grand prix's, and not just this year. Every year its chaos however the rain has just added an extra element this year. You'd think after the decades they've been running this it'd get better, but it's the same every damn year.

Except you are totally and utterly wrong. It is not in the slightest the same every year. In actuality every year the traffic in and out of Silverstone is handled efficiently and well. Traffic to any major event could be troublesome but since the dual carriageway was opened about 10 years ago, it's been very good. This year is a freak occurrance thanks to consistently bad weather for weeks in advance of the event. How are the organisors supposed to deal with something they have no control over?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:46 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

kart99 wrote:
bigears wrote:

I think, think it's a total of four hours from the official start time, i.e. if it started at 1pm, it must finish by 5

Oh dear, looks like the passengers (possibly including myself) will lynch the coach driver by demanding for a later pick up time then.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:53 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

I'd like to add that I went to the 2010 GP, and there was no queuing at all. Straight in, straight out. I was shocked to be honest, it was excellent.

My Flickr photographs
My rubbish YouTube channel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:02 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner
2011 TBK-Light Funniest member award winner

When I went in 2002, we left at half past 3 and were back in our hotel near Stratford by, oh, 5 o'clock, so I had no problems in my 1 experience of going.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:13 pm 
Eddie Jordan

Fergie wrote:

Says a person with no experience.

I went to all 3 days in 2006. No problems.

Qual day in 2008, no problems.

Practice day last year (in the rain), no problems.

Not much Silverstone can do when June has been the wettest on record and you have a months rain in 24hrs! Its not their fault and they don't own enough land to have all tarmac car parks.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Button: The race could be cancelled.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motors ... chaos.html

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Notice he says, "I can't see us being allowed to race in those conditions" before anyone slags him off.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

You'd think that in a country that has all this rain that there would be a proper draining system.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1222 posts ]  Go to page Previous 110 11 12 13 1462 Next