TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 518 Next
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think online racing is a good alternative for excessive risks on track.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:40 am 

Ian-S wrote:
pffff, back in the good old days, you had an earth bank or single line fence between you and the spectators, "safety" was token at best, you guys (J.Morelli) have absolutely no idea just how "safe" things are nowdays (and were on that bumpy arse track last year) - a few bumps are dangerous? ROFLMAO pass me the sick bucket please...

I imagine its less the "dangerous" factor, because bumps aren't, really, and more that drivers would prefer a track that doesn't badly blister their hands, as it did to Will Power in 2010. Plus, removing the bumps typically makes for a faster track, and sometimes can improve racing lines as a result.

Excessively bumpy tracks were knocked out of the schedule even in the 1980s (CART ditched Pocono for that reason, Formula 1 ditched Interlagos in 1980 because of this, etc.) so I'm not sure when this nostalgic era is (where Real Race Drivers Handled Bumps) that you are talking about. Maybe in the suicidal days of old, when 1/3 of the grid would end up getting killed in racing accidents, there was little care for bumps, but nostalgia for emulating that era of racing is strange to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:19 am 
The most anticipated member

I'm absolutely sure that If I told races were better with bumps, everyone would say the opposite, telling that I'm in favor of irresponsible practices of motor racing. What the f*, everybody knows that bumps (in excess) are a threat to the physical structure of the cars, specially open wheelers at speeds exceeding 200 miles per hour.

It's also truth and known that I'm one of those who defend Motorsports old-school in most of my opinions and have heavily criticized IndyCars for trying some paranoid ideas (new car and bodywork) on attempts to make motorsports a harmless thing, when actually this is impossible.

My opinion about bumps reflects the idea you don't need them to make better racing (when it comes to open wheelers). São Paulo circuit will prove that, you'll see.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I think the point is not every track should have lots of bumps. Thing is, there's a tendency of making every track smooth nowadays - one more point of standardization to tracks. But this should be another characteristic of tracks that affects car setups and becomes a decisive factor and is becoming something less on challenge for the drivers.

I think no one here wants Hermanos Rodriguez to be smooth or Silverstone to be bumpy, for example. Tracks must have their particularities and the kind of surface is part of this.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:32 am 
Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

Scotty wrote:
Bumps don't damage cars, only driver's who can't handle them do.

Pretty much this. Smoothing the track be damned, if the drivers aren't using their heads, then why bother?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

How many suspension failures has there been over the past few years? I'm sure it can't be many. It's like Scotty says, the actual loads the components can withstand is immense. Bumps on a circuit? Pah! Let's tarmac every rally stage then shall we?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:59 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Bumps present a variable that can result in drivers making small mistakes more frequently. These small mistakes can result in back and forth battles between drivers, and present opportunities to pass. Any time you give the drivers less than optimal driving conditions, the quality of the actual racing becomes better.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:28 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Its a confusing world indeed, Single Seater racing because we're often told how fragile these cars are and that how if we leaned on one in the wrong direction we could snap the suspension, and in some cases there is minor side on wheel to wheel contact when the suspension breaks and you think "c'monnnn, how brittle are these things?"
Based on that info you could certainly argue that bumps should be eradicated because the impression is if the car so much as looked at one the wrong way it'd be snapping off its suspension pieces like it hit a mine.

But then you start seeing cars popping wheelies and knocking into each other off the start with few if any adverse effects and suddenly you realise maybe this "open wheel cars are so fragile" stuff is based off of information from 10 years ago or something.
I for one expected to see Webber pit with underfloor damage that made his car un-drivable if not a bit of front suspension damage but was amazed, and pleased, to see him continue unaffected.

So maybe it depends on the type of force a car receives, maybe on bumpy track the suspension is completely different to one where the surface is marble smooth and the cars are forced into taking more load when the engineers would love everywhere to be smooth so they could design the cars to their ideal conditions for speed, not durability, who knows.

Either way there's conflicting information coming out across all of open wheel about just how much of a beating they can take.

I just wish they got to a point where you could organise a street race and leave in the speedbumps...that'd be a true driver challenge: who is so desperate for the victory they're willing to risk terrible lower back pain for the rest of their lives? :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:23 am 
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel
Isnt CCTV a Chinese television channel

The track seems to be sold out completely.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:43 pm 

Dan Belcher wrote:
Bumps present a variable that can result in drivers making small mistakes more frequently. These small mistakes can result in back and forth battles between drivers, and present opportunities to pass. Any time you give the drivers less than optimal driving conditions, the quality of the actual racing becomes better.

Nah, Pocono (at least before the most recent repave) is still bumpy and yet still produces shitty NASCAR races. :p

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:45 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Look how awesome Daytona and Talladega are now without bumps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:40 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Beezle wrote:
The track seems to be sold out completely.

Brilliant! :D

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:59 am 

Unlike the expected, Luiza Possi will sing national anthem this Sunday. Everybody expected Paula Fernandes, she's great singer and would perform very well If chosen, besides she's the official Nestlé jingle singer in Brazil, Nestlé is sponsoring the race once again, it's a surprise Paula wasn't chosen....I guess it's already the second year in a row people expected Fernandes and they come up with someone else.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:47 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

lmao

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:52 am 

J.Morelli wrote:
Unlike the expected, Luiza Possi will sing national anthem this Sunday. Everybody expected Paula Fernandes, she's great singer and would perform very well If chosen, besides she's the official Nestlé jingle singer in Brazil, Nestlé is sponsoring the race once again, it's a surprise Paula wasn't chosen....I guess it's already the second year in a row people expected Fernandes and they come up with someone else.

Who cares, she might butcher the anthem anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I give a damn to these singers. But I'd hit both.

[spoiler]Luiza Possi

Paula Fernandes
Image[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:53 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

EAS wrote:

[spoiler]Luiza Possi

Paula Fernandes
Image[/spoiler]

Hit in a kind of "oh yeah, gonna do her" kinda way, or hit in a Chris Brown on Rhianna kind of way? :ohmy:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

codename_47 wrote:
EAS wrote:

[spoiler]Luiza Possi

Paula Fernandes
Image[/spoiler]

Hit in a kind of "oh yeah, gonna do her" kinda way, or hit in a Chris Brown on Rhianna kind of way? :ohmy:

Depends whether they're singing or not. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:31 pm 

EAS wrote:

[spoiler]Luiza Possi

Paula Fernandes
Image[/spoiler]

Luiza is a bit out of shape, but depending on the day, weather conditions and temperature, I'd hit her too.

Anyway, it's gonna be interesting to see what Bia Figueiredo is capable of now she'll be taking part on Andretti team this weekend.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:55 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Southern side of São Paulo has been facing heavy rain since yesterday. Forecast of another chaoitc race coming.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 518 Next