TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 53
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

FIA won't allow it because of 'costs', it's stupid really.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:21 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I'd be all for tyre wars if a team didn't have to stick with one manufacturer for the whole season and could buy whichever tyres they wanted from race to race. During NASCAR's Goodyear/Hoosier wars, teams would often qualify on the grippy but fast-wearing Hoosiers and switch to the more reliable Goodyears for the race. I think they could switch between makes during the race also. But if you have to stick to one manufacturer for the whole season and they produce more lemons than winners like Michelin did during most of its stint against Bridgestone, I would hate it as you would have all the effort of the teams going to waste because of the tyre manufacturer's deficiency.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:17 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

aerogi wrote:
asshat wrote:
acopip wrote:
The tyres are good for the show, but racing drivers should be allowed to give 100%, but it's not good that they only can give 50,60% the whole race.
:?

It's called tyre management and is an essential skill for racing drivers. It's a marathon not a sprint. You want to see drivers at 100% you watch qualifying.

One thing I haven't seen lately is a driver changing strategies and having to push the car to the limit to win like Schumacher in Hungary 1998

but it is 'forced' tyre management these days, you have to use compound X and you have to use compound Y.

It used to be real tyre managment, when we had different tyre makers, with all kinds of different compounds they could use in the race, but they were not obliged to use all of them.

I remember that Prost was a master in this; he sometimes put 3 different compounds at the same time on his car. Some drivers gambled and put hard tyres on to get through the whole race, some drivers didn't and used softs but had to make a pit stop etc etc.

THAT is what I call tyre management. Now it is forced, and in the end, almost everyone is on the same strategy anyway, bar a few laps difference.

I hope one day we will have different suppliers again, and tyre makers going to the limit with their tyres.

I think both ways of management are valid, even though the current one is more inducted/forced.

I just think the scenario we had in the 00's with Bridgestone x Michelin was pure awful. It was possible to predict the winning team only by their tyre manufacturer. I consider the single supplier situation better for racing than two suppliers. But multiple suppliers could make things interesting too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:54 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Strong opinion article by a brazillian journalist:

[spoiler]
Quote:
There will be a race, no one is going to blow anything up, terrorists aren't going to invade the circuit mounted on dromedaries, bedouins won't raise their daggers, nor rip Alonso's head off.

It's all normal in Bahrain.

And you know what? Apart from the manifestations, it is all normal, really. Normal, for a country like Bahrein, which is a oppressed population, comanded by a monarchy floating in oil, sheiks that for over 200 years control the country, who rely on the USA (the biggest naval american fleet in the Gulf is on the island, and lock together to Saudi Arabia, of they depend viscerally.

So, when we were there for the first time, in 2004, it was already that sahit. Except there wasn't anyone on the street. In the prisons, they probably beat up opposers the same way. "This is a hell hole", I wrote, at the time, half an hour after landing in Manama. As you can see, my first impression wasn't one of the best.

And I confess I went reasonably excited to Bahrein. Not by the islands atractives, but because it would stop in Beirut, Lebanon, coming and going from Bahrein. That one, was a rich experience - despite the short time I had on the city, one of the most beautiful I've known.

On Bahrein itself, nothing really surprised me. OK, the organisers were nice since the GP was confirmed. They sent journalists some trinkets I hold until today, like a car plate with the numbers 04-04-04, date of the first race, a miniature of the circuit tower in crystal and even a bad of desert sand - that sand is gone, I've now noticed. On the Wednesday or Thursday of the race, they made a party of the one thousand and one nights with all the possible clichés, with some fatties doing belly-dancing, some tents with big pillows, arab delicacies to eat at will and even un unlikely band of brazillian musicians who played "The Girl from Ipanema" and "Meu Brasil Brasileiro", to give a globalized feel.

The Sakhir circuit was one of the first of the range of superautodromes started by Sepang in 1999. Afterwards came the bahrani track, and then Turkey, China, Abu Dhabi, South Korea and more are to come. It became a championship of luxoury and ostentation. Don't care. The blokes have the money, let them spend it on what they want. The construction didn't surprise, except for the fact that, quite literally, the circuit was in the middle of the desert. After the main straight, nothing but sand. It's a curious cenario, for those who had never seen anything similar.

The city is very ugly, it's got those usual downtown glass and brushed steel buildings to give a modern look, some internacional restaurants to cater for the very large foreign population, SUVs everywhere and nothing else worth mentioning. Me and Fábio Seixas stayed at the most unrefined apartment. Tower-Something or Something-Suites, how they like to baptize this sort of flats. The car was parked in the street, which didn't have a sidewalk. Dry air, heat, zero charm.

We didn't care about the country's political situation. Amongst us, let's get this straight: Bahrein wasn't that relevant. It's not a turistic destination, nothing to see. It was just another race, four days and off we went.

But since the Arab Spring happenings, it became relevant. It became known, and the harsh repression from the Shias became news. Less than Libya, Egypt and Syria, also because the USA want the khalifas that have been there for two centuries stay there. However, it was a chance for F1 to make a stand, spread a message, get out of the ridiculous shell that is based on the lazy statement that the sport and politics don't mix. They should. Accions that come from fanous people have more reprecussion, echo, make something happen.

It just so happens that F1 is managed by a man without great scruples and no worries besides money. And the team that follows him around acts like cattle. So, the race going on, which I didn't think would happen at one point, after being sure it would and then not knowing about anything else, is no surprise. Not even the complete emptyness in the statements by all involved. No one has courage to say that it's wrong, to make a criticism, to show solidarity, to show that they see something else in the world besides tyre temperatures.

Athletes, in general, are being alienated from reality. The majority professes an abject conservatism, caring only about they millionarire bellybuttons and to hell with everything else.

F1 doesn't have a Socrates. F1 has wax heroes, who will never die of overdose.
[/spoiler]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:30 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I guess this is from Flavio Gomes. Although he seems excessively left-wing orientated, even for me, he's got some valid points. The only thing that really looks bad for me: the manichean way that Bernie is singled out as the bad part of F1, what is typical from every brazilian journalist, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:21 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Anyone see Ant Davidsons comments on the Rosberg move on Sky? Seems he's even further up his own arse than we thought.

Quote:
"We saw him (Lewis) do the the exact same thing against Jenson Button in Canada, where he did hit the wall. We assume with Lewis Hamilton that he is that feisty, and he's never going to back out of a situation. I was in a situation like that myself at Silverstone against Allan McNish, who's also been on the FIA Driver panel before, in Le Mans cars, where he pushed me over to the wall, and that instant you think "please don't keep coming over, because I'm committed now"

This is the same man who was deliberately running Audis off the road at Le Mans less than 1 year ago.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

What a hypocrite

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:51 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

what a c unt, I would say.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:59 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Anyone see Ant Davidsons comments on the Rosberg move on Sky? Seems he's even further up his own arse than we thought.

Quote:
"We saw him (Lewis) do the the exact same thing against Jenson Button in Canada, where he did hit the wall. We assume with Lewis Hamilton that he is that feisty, and he's never going to back out of a situation. I was in a situation like that myself at Silverstone against Allan McNish, who's also been on the FIA Driver panel before, in Le Mans cars, where he pushed me over to the wall, and that instant you think "please don't keep coming over, because I'm committed now"

This is the same man who was deliberately running Audis off the road at Le Mans less than 1 year ago.

What isn't he running off the road?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:22 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Groundhogs.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1050 posts ]  Go to page Previous 149 50 51 52 53