TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:44 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Long time I didn't watch the whole races of a weekend for BTCC and... wow! Amazing races!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:28 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Xanthaar wrote:
Edit: Pics of Foster's flip below, seen as I don't think it was caught on cam... Nothing too major really though lucky the marshalls and photographer were stood about 10m further down the road as the armco buckled quite a bit!

Great pics! You must have been sat fairly near me - I was in the Paddock Hill grandstand too and saw that from pretty much the same angle.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:28 am 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

codename_47 wrote:
phil1993 wrote:
How on earth can anyone prefer WTCC or DTM?

Ben Constanduros on Twitter has been arguing this exact thing, how WTCC and DTM are more professional and how the BTCC teams that have transferred enjoy being mid-to-rear grid on the world championship that front runners in the British one.

Bull....shitt....

Never seen someone in such a high standing media position be so biased and condescending to his followers either.
He needs to quit the BTCC hating attitude and fast, though tbh if an opening weekend full of drama doesn't convince him, nothing will.

I said that the WTCC is a one manufacturer show, and he went off at me saying stuff like "what's this magic crystal ball you're using" etc.

He was arguing how the WTCC was better today, much more "professional"
I didn't realise "professional" was code for boring....

Well, it's true. BTCC can hardly be called professional compared to WTCC or DTM. You'll get no argument from me that BTCC is a far better series than both of those, but it certainly isn't professional in any way. The drivers spend half the time beating on each other, the series is completely inconsistent in how it applies the rules, and sometimes it feels as though they encourage poor driving standards to increase the excitement.

However does BTCC pretend to be professional? Not in the slightest. BTCC knows what it's good at, and knows what it's doing. It isn't pretending to be a high brow awesome standards series that is the top of the touring car/tin top ladder. So if anyone says that BTCC wasn't as professional as WTCC, then they are right. But if anyone says WTCC was more entertaining than BTCC, then they were most likely wrong.

Different series set out with different goals, and despite using the same cars, BTCC is not aiming for the same ground as WTCC. They are surprisingly different series, and should be treated as such.

It's the same reason banger racing at your local stock car oval will be brilliantly entertaining, but not professional. But if F1 was run like banger racing, then we'd all be pissed off at how crap it suddenly became.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Exactly Dave. But as race fans, you'll find very few people who prefer WTCC to BTCC, irrespective of the professionalism. What exactly is the difference? In WTCC you have a few top teams and a lot of privateers; isn't that what BTCC is?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:38 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Well you'd never seen Thorne turning up in WTCC and spinning on the formation lap, and under SC, in the same weekend. You wouldn't even see Rob "I'm a legend" Austin turning up and drifting his Audi around every corner, whilst having more body roll than the QE2.

The fact MG were able to turn up to Brands with a car that had only ever turned 10 laps and fight for the victory, regardless of the driver, shows the level that BTCC is currently at. I don't mean that in a negative way, because BTCC has found a sweet spot with its current state and none of us want it to change. But anyone claiming it's even remotely professional is kidding themselves.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:41 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Oh of course, but we know how slick an operation Triple 8 is. Look where Neate was. When Arena arrived with the Ford they were awful for half a season, so you can't just rock up and win every time.

I agree with you, but people who rubbish the BTCC and praise the WTCC needs their head checked. I think part of the reason WTCC loses out is they just go to the wrong circuits.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Looks like Thorney have lost a sponsor. They were claiming Thorney had removed their logo from the sunvisor but Thorney have proved otherwise.

Shame there are such shifty sponsors out there. They're the ones helping drivers lose their seats.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:38 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Its just the snobbery that's involved when people start comparing the BTCC to other series that gets to me...

Ben C wasn't really arguing that the BTCC is less professional than other series, he was just clutching at any straw he could to do the BTCC down and boost the WTCC.

I'd much rather have the everyman drivers in the series than the more robotic and boring WTCC "professional" drivers.
Its as if they were arguing that if you don't get paid to go racing you shouldn't be on track, which is just nonsense and patronising of the highest order.

The BTCC is a great series but it seems there are those out there that love to get on their high horse about it for whatever reason that suits them.
A glance over at the Marshals forum of Ten-Tenths (or even T-T as a whole) shows this too...

Its almost like as soon as a series has a higher ratio of side by side racing (and yes, when there's more overtaking going on, it is just inevitable that not all those moves will come off and end in contact) people enjoy decrying it in favour of their own preferred championships that can't hold a candle to the quality of racing you get in the BTCC

Oh well, I've surprised you all, today's rant isn't about Plato after all, merely BTCC snobbery in general!

(He's still a dick tho )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:59 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

On another note, it had to turn up eventually, here's the first one so far:

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pTT9xYjMig&feature=plcp&context=C426a0c2VDvjVQa1PpcFPLgIup3TXne3Q82YRmSifWsG6j1S7mo1I%3D[/youtubeidiot]

Hopefully better angles will turn up eventually.

Remember when BTCC seemed to be immune from flips? :p

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:08 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

And here is an on-board from Mike Bushel from the big Clio crash:

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LgdmbY3gJ0&feature=g-u-u&context=G2e7fc21FUAAAAAAACAA[/youtubeidiot]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:36 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Thanks for the videos.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:39 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

ellis wrote:
Well you'd never seen Thorne turning up in WTCC and spinning on the formation lap, and under SC, in the same weekend. You wouldn't even see Rob "I'm a legend" Austin turning up and drifting his Audi around every corner, whilst having more body roll than the QE2.

The fact MG were able to turn up to Brands with a car that had only ever turned 10 laps and fight for the victory, regardless of the driver, shows the level that BTCC is currently at. I don't mean that in a negative way, because BTCC has found a sweet spot with its current state and none of us want it to change. But anyone claiming it's even remotely professional is kidding themselves.

Spot on. In the 1994-1998ish era when every manufacturer wanted to be in the BTCC above any other touring car series on the world and the best drivers came from all over the racing globe - it was professional. But then Super Touring ended, the truly abysmal cars of 2001 were introduced and it's been a high level pro-am national series ever since.

That's no bad thing. Times changed, the manufacturers and top class drivers just aren't around any more so (with the best respect in the world) drivers like Paul O'Neill and Dave Newsham (who likely would never achieve too much on the world stage) have managed to make surprising progress to the front. Talented but never world class drivers like Neal and Plato have dominated for years.

I don't care that the BTCC isn't a "professional" series as such - it's just wicked entertaining. I made a point of always getting to Khill to see it and am delighted to have raced on the support bill for the series.

Besides, if being "professional" means you're as skull crushingly boring as WTCC and *spit* DTM, then give me clubman stuff every time.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:32 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

The only thing that makes WTCC "professional" is the level of manufacturer cash in the series, and the level the FIA is willing to be swayed by those manufacturers. Manufacturer support at the level Seat and Chevy has brought it, and the emphasis on teams rather than drivers has ruined the competition in WTCC and brought it to DTM levels of boredom, and BTCC is far better off without it. Professionalism or whatever word you choose to describe what WTCC is, IMO BTCC is what touring car racing should aim to be.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Seems Collard was given three points on his licence and a £500 fine for his doughnuts :o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Gaara wrote:
Seems Collard was given three points on his licence and a £500 fine for his doughnuts :o

Whaaaaaat? Who gave him those points, Max Mosely? :o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:29 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

Some (not very good) photos from Sunday. Currently uploading amateurish vids to youtube.

I'm still bright red.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:52 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Gaara wrote:

I'm sure Collard doesn't care though. £500 and a few points was probably well worth it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:01 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Was he fined for the worst Donut ever, bit harsh if you ask me, but worth the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:40 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

When Scottish Legends were on the support at Khill in 2007 we were the last race on the Sunday and as a big crowd had stayed to watch, people like Jon Jon Higgins and Dave Newsham were doing loads of donuts on the slowdown lap (guys like me didn't - couldn't afford the engine rebuild!) Word afterwards was that the BARC (who run the touring car meetings) were pretty annoyed about it bringing down the tone of the meeting or something.

I applaud Collard for doing it and hope he does it again - British racing could so with being less stuffy.

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FSEuUWPPA[/youtubeidiot]

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next