TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:21 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:05 pm 
Moderator - Shareholder
Moderator - Shareholder

Driver of the day is surely Newsham. And bonus points for being a classy guy when he got knocked off.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

RtN wrote:
I'll give him credit for not knocking Jordan out of the way.

Tried his best though.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:07 pm 

RtN wrote:

Pardon? Isn't that exactly what he did? I know bumping is a part of this but he did knock him partially sideways.

So Plato gets 3 points on his license, £750 fine and punts someone out of the way for 3rd and then a victory. Why do I even bother.

Last edited by Timdpr on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:08 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I like to see underdogs in BTCC - John George, Tony Hughes etc. But John Thorne was just terrible, verging on dangerous. Someone stop him competing in Donington.

Plato's now won in an Renault, Vauxhall, Seat, Chevrolet & MG!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:08 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gaara wrote:
RtN wrote:

Tried his best though.

I was fully expecting him to give Jordan a Clearways Shuffle, and he didn't, which I found surprising.

A shame they knocked 4 laps off otherwise his tyres would have been pretty much dead.

Timdpr wrote:
RtN wrote:

Pardon? Isn't that exactly what he did? I know bumping is a part of this but he did knock him partially sideways.

So Plato gets 3 points on his license, £750 fine and punts someone out of the way for 3rd and then a victory. Why do I even bother.

There's a difference between rubbing and punting, especially in touring cars. I didn't find it especially offensive. It certainly wasn't as bad as Jeff Smith on Collard.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

Last edited by RtN on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thorne mentioned on Twitter earlier that he's not comfortable with the rear of the car. Maybe it's the car rather then the driver.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:13 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I think the turbo on the MG needs to be pegged back. Just for the lulz.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well it's pretty obvious they don't need more boost then the Honda's

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:20 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Jason Plato leads the championship by four points from Matt Neal.

Great day of racing. BTCC controversy, chaos, close racing. Clios & Ginettas providing moments of madness.

Shame we didn't see a replay of Foster's flip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:35 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Very soild day's racing - really enjoyed it. Lots of incidents in all series to remember, the supports were all pretty entertaining.

Glad to have BTCC back - hope Dynamics get those cars fixed up for the next race so Platard doesn't end up running away with this.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:03 pm 

RtN wrote:
Gaara wrote:
RtN wrote:

Tried his best though.

I was fully expecting him to give Jordan a Clearways Shuffle, and he didn't, which I found surprising.

A shame they knocked 4 laps off otherwise his tyres would have been pretty much dead.

Timdpr wrote:
RtN wrote:

There's a difference between rubbing and punting, especially in touring cars. I didn't find it especially offensive. It certainly wasn't as bad as Jeff Smith on Collard.

Late reply, but you're right, it wasn't that bad. Still, it did get him sideways which imo is a little further than rubbing or bumping someone deeper into the corner. Add to that the fact that it was into a corner easy to go off at, and for the lead - it's just another little thing stacking up against him, the face of the BTCC. Wheee! I'm always pretty disillusioned with the series when Plato delivers his specialities, but I always come back for more. It was certainly an exciting meeting. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Flash has been DSQd for adding tape to his car.

Newsham has not been DSQd because his team asked permission.

Justin Wilson ¦ 1978-2015

Yeah, I know he's mad and I don't care. I do not care. I did not care then. I do not care now. I'm here to race him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:11 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Revised championshp

Plato 52
Neal 48
Jordan 45
Collard 43
Austin 30
J. Smith 28
Newsham 24
Onslow Cole 22
M. Jackson 22
Wood 13
Shedden 11
O. Jackson 11
Griffin 11
Gilham 9
A. Smith 8
Neate 8
Foster 7
Welch 5
James 5
Wrathall 3
Hughes 1

Not keen on the new scoring system; it just rewards mediocrity.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:48 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

RtN wrote:
Flash has been DSQd for adding tape to his car.

Newsham has not been DSQd because his team asked permission.

Means Jeff Smith gets a career-best result too with 4th.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:46 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
Not keen on the new scoring system; it just rewards mediocrity.

I'm sorry but you've only got yourself to blame. The new scoring system was introduced because of the high number of entries at the end of last season. Then you once again started making your predictions and we get 22 or 23 cars. Nice one Phil :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:56 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Had a great day at the track (apart from my face hurting from the now traditional sunburn). Lots of good racing and incidents - can't remember ever seeing that much action before on the Indy circuit.

Oh and btw, the Foster flip was actually fairly minor. He went wide coming out of Druids, spun across the circuit and went backwards into the tyre barrier which tipped him over. It was a relatively gentle roll.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:47 pm 

Was at Brands today. Got some pics of the Foster flip from the paddock Hill grandstand I'll post later. Was by the bridge at Druids when Jackson's engine went but didn't see much of anything due to the amount of dust kicked up as he rejoined the track from his Paddock Hill excursion. Had a tree in the way for shots of the Clio chaos and missed the big wreck in the Ginetta's. Was a good day still. Not sure why John Thorne was racing. The car was all sorts of loose. Saw him bin it in Free Practice, Race 1 on the last lap on his own, race two on his own at Druids, then again under the safety car. Then on the warm up lap of race 3... Funniest moment was Gilham spinning at Druids, then doing the same thing 1 lap later and the track commentators assuming they were looking at a replay (I guess they might have though). Did get horribly sunburnt though. Fridays forecast said it would be overcast today.... Only race to go Safety Car/Red Flag free all Sunday was the juniors I think!

Edit: Pics of Foster's flip below, seen as I don't think it was caught on cam... Nothing too major really though lucky the marshalls and photographer were stood about 10m further down the road as the armco buckled quite a bit!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:55 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

So the first BTCC round I properly miss since Snet 03 (seriously) seems to be the first truely epic weekend since Snet 09 (yeah, THAT one ;)

Safety cars, crashes, overtakes and controversy. Oh and a flip.

Pure TBK fodder right there eh?

I'm glad I didn't watch too much of it live, but those 3 races seemed to sum up the BTCC in a nutshell.

Plato getting the lions share of the coverage, providing the controversy, making me apoplectic with rage but coming back to triumph in the end.

Matt Neal quietly getting the job done in much the same way but with much less attention-seeking behaviour.

Great performances from underdogs to provide feel good stories only for them to fall short of a major result, mainly due to manufacturer bullying.

All in all, despite Plato showing his true colours earlier than I expected, I'm glad that MG is in the championship.
I just hope that, if that first round is anything to go by, it doesn't become too dominant.
If it does, I hope the BTCC pegs it back and Plato somehow manages to spin that into hypocrisy about how last year it was ok to pin back the car with an advantage, this year it isn't because he's driving it :p

BTCC is back!!! YEAHHHHH!!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:59 am 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

phil1993 wrote:
How on earth can anyone prefer WTCC or DTM?

Ben Constanduros on Twitter has been arguing this exact thing, how WTCC and DTM are more professional and how the BTCC teams that have transferred enjoy being mid-to-rear grid on the world championship that front runners in the British one.

Bull....shitt....

Never seen someone in such a high standing media position be so biased and condescending to his followers either.
He needs to quit the BTCC hating attitude and fast, though tbh if an opening weekend full of drama doesn't convince him, nothing will.

I said that the WTCC is a one manufacturer show, and he went off at me saying stuff like "what's this magic crystal ball you're using" etc.

He was arguing how the WTCC was better today, much more "professional"
I didn't realise "professional" was code for boring....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:52 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Xanthaar wrote:
Was at Brands today. Got some pics of the Foster flip from the paddock Hill grandstand I'll post later. Was by the bridge at Druids when Jackson's engine went but didn't see much of anything due to the amount of dust kicked up as he rejoined the track from his Paddock Hill excursion. Had a tree in the way for shots of the Clio chaos and missed the big wreck in the Ginetta's. Was a good day still. Not sure why John Thorne was racing. The car was all sorts of loose. Saw him bin it in Free Practice, Race 1 on the last lap on his own, race two on his own at Druids, then again under the safety car. Then on the warm up lap of race 3... Funniest moment was Gilham spinning at Druids, then doing the same thing 1 lap later and the track commentators assuming they were looking at a replay (I guess they might have though). Did get horribly sunburnt though. Fridays forecast said it would be overcast today.... Only race to go Safety Car/Red Flag free all Sunday was the juniors I think!

Edit: Pics of Foster's flip below, seen as I don't think it was caught on cam... Nothing too major really though lucky the marshalls and photographer were stood about 10m further down the road as the armco buckled quite a bit!

Nice pics, good to see what happened, they made it out to be enormous on TV.
Might wonna watermark those pics though, better to be safe than sorry.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 556 posts ]  Go to page Previous 124 25 26 27 28 Next