PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:46 pm 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

Track Layout

Laps: 100
Race Length: 180 mi (290 km)
2011 Winner: Dario Franchitti
Entries: 26

Race Time: 12:30PM EST (Green Flag: 1PM EST)
Race Broadcaster: ABC
Race Broadcaster UK: Sky Sports F1 HD (Red Button)
Race Broadcaster UK: Sky Sports Xtra Online Here
Weekend Schedule: http://www.indycar.com:8080/var/assets/ ... 82%291.pdf

2011 Highlights

2012 Results
Prac 1: http://media.indycar.com/pdf/2012/PETE- ... ctice1.pdf
Prac 2: http://media.indycar.com/pdf/2012/PETE- ... ctice2.pdf
Prac 3: http://media.indycar.com/pdf/2012/PETE- ... ctice3.pdf
Quali: http://media.indycar.com/pdf/2012/Offic ... g_Grid.pdf

2012 Highlights
Practice Session #2

Practice Session #3
[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJRENtT9oMg[/youtubeidiot]

Fast 6 Qualifying
[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtL7oe7BxRU&feature=player_embedded[/youtubeidiot]

Race Day Chat + Fun
Teamspeak: 95.170.88.197:9992 (No Password)

Last edited by Wil Vincent on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 15 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:51 pm 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

As promised, I'll be hosting a free chat server for the entire IndyCar Season through Teamspeak, welcome to all to join. I'll post the details later this week.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:37 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Finally the moment of the new car has come, lets hope it delivers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 pm 
Silver Member
Silver Member

AHHHHH! so excited! i cant wait to see the new cars in action

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:30 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

I'll probably take monday morning off work to watch this!

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:59 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Is 12:30PM EST when the race actually starts or just start of coverage?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:02 am 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

Juihi wrote:
Is 12:30PM EST when the race actually starts or just start of coverage?

Coverage. Green Flag is at 1PM according to the schedule.

IndyCar just love confusing people on race times!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:06 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

ah ok, cheers for that! I just want to know how much time I'll need to take off work to watch!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:54 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Looking forward to a fest of carbon fiber being spread all over Turn 1.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:10 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Gabriel wrote:
Looking forward to a fest of carbon fiber being spread all over Turn 1.

I predict EJ Viso to slide down the inside and take Scott Dixon out, happens every year to Scott at St Pete

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:49 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Hopefully the carnage is kept to a minimum this year.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:51 am 
Official TBK Rain Predictor
Official TBK Rain Predictor

RAIN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:53 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

This plz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:36 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

I really look forward to seeing the new cars on track and how they preforme during the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:46 pm 

I looked at going but the hotels around the area were just a bit pricy. I wanted to be able to walk to the track from a hotel and the area around the track is beautiful. I went to st Pete a week before the race in 2010 and drove down the street that's between the 3rd turn and 4th turn and walked to the roof of the parking garage that's in the center of the track.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:40 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Anti-stall system for all 26 entrants for this race.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:57 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Quote:
The last time IndyCar was on the track as a series, the drivers tearfully turned five laps in tribute of fallen friend Dan Wheldon.

Now, season opener on Monday morning (NZT) is practically a tribute race.

The drivers will compete for the first time since Wheldon's death last October - racing through the streets of St. Petersburg, Wheldon's adopted Florida hometown.

They'll drive a car named for him and navigate their way through Turn 10, recently renamed Dan Wheldon Way.

Holly Wheldon, his little sister, will drop the green flag and present the winner's trophy.

Fans have been asked to wear orange to honor the two-time Indianapolis 500 winner, and the annual post-race party Wheldon traditionally hosted will carry on in his name.

St. Pete is the place IndyCar's drivers most associate with Wheldon.

It's also the place where they'll attempt to return to some normalcy, even with reminders of Wheldon everywhere they turn.

"It's almost fitting in many ways, the way the calendar has worked out," New Zealander Scott Dixon said.

"I think it's going to be tough, but I think it's also a nice way to start the season, almost like it was written that way. But, yeah, it'll never be the same. Never be the same."

It's been five months since IndyCar's last race, and the drivers' visit here earlier this month for a series appearance was the first for most since Wheldon's memorial service.

Now, it's a careful balance of embracing the excitement of a new season while also honouring the popular Englishman.

"Man, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it," Brazilian Tony Kanaan said.

"Dan loved this city, and all the times here, spending time with him, there are so many memories. Now, one of those memories is of burying our best friend.

"We'll think about him all the time. All this season. At Indianapolis. But here, this will be hard all the way up until the national anthem, and we'll get in the cars and we'll go race."

When Dale Earnhardt died on the last lap of the 2001 Daytona 500, NASCAR was back on the track five days later.

That's how racers heal: In the car, on the track, focused on winning instead of their own immortality.

Wheldon's death was the first fatality in a major racing series since Earnhardt's accident, and the circumstances were so very different for IndyCar.

The October 16 race at Las Vegas Motor Speedway was the season finale, and the race was halted after just 11 laps following the 15-car accident.

More than two hours later, the drivers were summoned back to their cars for the five-lap tribute. Since then, there's been occasional testing, but no real routine for the drivers.

"It's been the longest offseason of my life," said Marco Andretti.

The healing process has been different for everyone, particularly veteran drivers who have experienced death before.

Three drivers entered in Sunday's race were in the 1999 CART season finale when Greg Moore was killed in an early accident.

Four-time champion Dario Franchitti of Scotland, close friends with Moore, was thankful for the five-month layoff after Wheldon's death.

"I wanted to get away. It was better that everybody had space. It was too raw," he said.

"It's something I went through with Greg, and I asked myself the same question, 'Do I still want to do this?' And yeah, I do."

Franchitti never got a chance to celebrate winning his fourth title; he was the points leader headed into Las Vegas, and the race was canceled after the accident. There was no season-ending banquet, just a pair of memorial services in St. Pete and Indianapolis.

"There was never that sort of fist-pumping moment with all your guys," Franchitti said, "and it won't happen because, unfortunately, when I think about that championship, I think about Vegas and I think about Dan. And that's all really."

That's the kind of toll Wheldon's death has had on IndyCar, and those emotions could follow the drivers all season long in a year that was intended to be a comeback for the series.

IndyCar will debut this weekend its first new car since 2003. Wheldon, who was without a full-time ride last season, spent the year helping Dallara with the development.

As a tribute after his death, the car was named the DW12.

Wheldon was the only one to drive it for most of last season and was secretive with what he learned.

By the time other drivers finally got behind the wheel, they were surprised at how much work still had to be done.

Although it was designed to upgrade technology and improve safety, it had handling and speed issues during winter testing, and drivers only recently deemed the car improved enough to be suitable for road course and street circuit races.

But it's unclear how the car will perform on ovals, and there's an understandable driver concern about pack racing at Texas that has dominated conversation in the last month.

Even though that race isn't until June 9, drivers are already skittish about the racing conditions, because pack racing was cited in IndyCar's official investigation as one of the factors that contributed to Wheldon's accident.

Drivers also are worried about the placement of the fence posts at Texas. They are located inside the track, the same as the fence at Las Vegas, where Wheldon died when his head hit one of the poles as his car went airborne into the fence.

Debate about the fence led to a contentious public back-and-forth two weeks ago with Texas track president Eddie Gossage.

"This is racing. It's dangerous. But once you know it, why wouldn't you fix it?" Spaniard Oriol Servia said.

"We're IndyCar drivers for the last 15-20 years. We've been doing one of the most dangerous things on Earth, happily. And we're being treated like (babies) the way it's been talked about."

The scars from Wheldon's death clearly run deep, and no one is immune. Earlier this month, the drivers attended a solemn Turn 10 dedication to Wheldon, and when his wife walked in carrying 2-year-old son, Sebastian, the front row stood one at a time to hug her.

Dixon even temporarily moved his wife and two daughters to St. Pete during the offseason to help comfort Susie Wheldon and her boys.

The youngest, Oliver, celebrated his first birthday this week. A spokesman for the family said last week that Susie Wheldon had decided to leave St. Pete during race weekend.

With heavy hearts the drivers are so very careful to be respectful of Wheldon's memory, and they don't try to dodge the fact that his presence may overwhelm the weekend.

"It's very difficult for us ... it's my generation, someone that is still in the peak of his career," said Helio Castroneves of Brazil.

"It's tough to see someone in that group, in our group, not be here, not be part of it. We know that he was from St. Pete, so it's even made it more difficult.

"We're never going to forget what happened, but certainly time will heal. We're race car drivers. We want to be back in the race car and start getting our normal routine, which is being racers."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/motorsport ... an-Wheldon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:16 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

good article. i still cant believe it really happened. just the circumstances and everything. this is gonna be a tough season for drivers and fans both

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:45 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

phil1993 wrote:
This plz

Fuck that, last thing IndyCar needs is the guy who couldn't get a seat in F1 after years of racing there winning off the bat.