TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20

Did You Enjoy The New Cars?
Yes, Wholeheartedly 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
Some Minor Tweaks Needed 30%  30%  [ 17 ]
Meh 41%  41%  [ 23 ]
Give Us Deltawing!!!! 11%  11%  [ 6 ]
Total votes: 56
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

There was alot of passing at turn one, those of us watching on the telly pretty much got shafted :(

Definitely too early to write the new car off. Besides, motorsport changes you can't expect it to stay the same every decade.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:28 pm 
2011 TBK-Light Best Looking Member award winner

codename_47 wrote:
*rant*

You depresses me.

Awesome race this Sunday, can't wait for the next!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:33 pm 
The Finnish Paul Page
The Finnish Paul Page

^ Amen to that! ^

Codename, you're jumping on conclusions after just one race, cut some slack for the series. The racing was good.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:02 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can't recall much good races on St. Petersburg. Last year was loltastic because of the crashes, but except for that it wasn't that fun.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:57 am 

NVirkkula wrote:
^ Amen to that! ^
Codename, you're jumping on conclusions after just one race, cut some slack for the series. The racing was good.

Seeing what I saw on TV, the race was a bore, especially coming off a pretty darn exciting Malaysian GP. (Yeah, I know, 50%-75% director's fault...)

I did go to the practice sessions, though. I think the cars do seem to have a little bit more "oomph". It is not the 1990s glory days but it isn't a "crapwagon" either. I too would love to see more horsepower and less downforce to get it back to those times. I think everyone would.

The cars look like some weird hybrid of a sports car and open wheel, though, with those fenders.

It would be interesting to see these cars on a road course more fit for Indycars, unfortunately, they don't go to Watkins Glen or Road America anymore. (Hell, I'd also be happy with Mosport or Mont-Tremblant or Mexico City, and Cleveland for the street. Unfortunately the current road courses they go to are street or lean on the narrow side.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Honestly I think too many people are looking through rose tinted glasses at the mid-90's. There were a lot of races, street, road or oval, that were beat downs without too much racing or passing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:22 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

westracing01 wrote:
Honestly I think too many people are looking through rose tinted glasses at the mid-90's. There were a lot of races, street, road or oval, that were beat downs without too much racing or passing.

BUT IT WAS CART AND EVERYTHING ASSOCIATED WITH CART WAS AWSUM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:30 pm 
Not been fired yet!
Not been fired yet!

codename_47 wrote:
I change my mind. I just LOVE IndyCar... And Dario is my new favourite drive. CART, that can just **** off....

Changed your mind did you then? :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:39 pm 

westracing01 wrote:

This is more from a "look at the car practicing" perspective, whether a car seems impressively racy or not when you are watching it. The "rose tinted glasses" are therefore looking at late 1990s cars that were putting out 900 horses versus the IRL cars that were putting out 650. The 1990s CART cars just moved and danced and flew around better. IRL cars by contrast had, by comparison, relatively less impressive dancing-around-the-track ability. Of course, IRL cars had horsepower cut by 1/3rd (smaller engine formula) and other factors to slow them down for safety reasons.

Now, Formula 1 cars also are a slightly reduced formula these days, the 1990s V10/V12s were incredibly fun to watch. But a modern Formula 1 car still looks very, very racy and is impressive to watch darting around the tracks. I could not say the same about the old IRL formula, the acceleration was less impressive than these top formula examples.

So that is what I mean. A street circuit is a rough place to judge this sort of thing, but that's my initial impression on the new car: a step up from the old formula, but watching the 2003 CCWS race on Youtube, it's not even there yet.

I know that much of this it is what it is, due to safety concerns, cost, and the lot, so it is what it is. Races can still be good even with this type of formula. But I'm jaded in the "wow" factor by watching series with faster cars. :p

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:34 pm 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

westracing01 wrote:
Honestly I think too many people are looking through rose tinted glasses.

Exactly!, it happens with every single type of racing series, people want Group B back in Rally, people want V12's or Turbos back in F1 etc, they just tend to gloss over the boring parts, I never got to see any races from F1 in the late 80's early 90's but I've downloaded and watched them since and to be honest despite it being the "Golden Age" of F1 I found most of the races deadly boring, in 20 years time some people will be looking back at the 07/08 season and remembering how awesome the championship was etc. and how they wish F1 was like that, just human nature I guess to yearn for the good times.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:03 am 

Except we are talking about CART now...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:15 am 
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Same can apply, I've downloaded most full seasons of CART from the 90's and sure it's a good series but nothing awesomely amazing like it's been made out to be, in all honesty the past few seasons of Indycars (ok bar last year) have been some of the most dramatic in terms of the championship battles.

3x TBKL rFactor Hillclimb champion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:44 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Juihi wrote:
Same can apply, I've downloaded most full seasons of CART from the 90's and sure it's a good series but nothing awesomely amazing like it's been made out to be, in all honesty the past few seasons of Indycars (ok bar last year) have been some of the most dramatic in terms of the championship battles.

For those of us who don't care much about the championship and instead worry more about enjoying individual races, this isn't much of an issue. CART had plenty of boring races just like every single racing series on the planet. But it also had plenty of amazing races, plus cars that had gobs of power and torque and were difficult to drive which meant for lots of mistakes which led to passing and good battles. Not to mention the cars were absolutely beautiful and sounded amazing, so at least you could enjoy that even if the race was dull. I have gone back and watched random mid to late 90s CART races plenty of times and have always been entertained.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:43 pm 

Juihi wrote:

I think the old CART was awesomely amazing as it's made out to be. Awesome looking cars, awesome horsepower, awesome sounds, awesome drivers, awesomely competitive fields. Some races were boring, yeah, but I'd rather watch boring races from this awesome time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:24 pm 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

What people need to come to grips with real quick is this is it. We don't get another shot at another car, other manufacturers or even a new series. If you want open wheel racing in this country, this is it. I'm not saying constructive criticism isn't needed. But the amount of negative bullshit here is astounding. Bodykits are coming, improvements are coming. God willing Lotus will get better. But we gotta deal.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:02 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shane wrote:
But we gotta deal.

No, we don't. I didn't watch St. Pete and am not too heartbroken over it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:25 am 
The most anticipated member

Shane wrote:
What people need to come to grips with real quick is this is it. We don't get another shot at another car, other manufacturers or even a new series. If you want open wheel racing in this country, this is it. I'm not saying constructive criticism isn't needed. But the amount of negative bullshit here is astounding. Bodykits are coming, improvements are coming. God willing Lotus will get better. But we gotta deal.

That's exactly what I think aswell.

That's the car Indy has now and life goes on. Of course it's not the way everybody wanted but, patience....at least it's not DeltaWing. Besides I'm completely confident IndyCar will improve a lot in the next years!

Those who are claiming too much, try at least one time in your daily life imagine a grid full of DeltaWings racing side by side.....oh wait, forget it! Forget it! Erase that scene from your mind otherwise you won't sleep tonight!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:07 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shane wrote:

Eh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:32 pm 

[youtubeidiot]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSYhLn4RCI[/youtubeidiot]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:55 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

I don't think they will be coming, and I don't really care. The engines are the big deal. If they opened it up to third party manufacturers, it would be good.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 400 posts ]  Go to page Previous 116 17 18 19 20