TBK-Light.com

Motorsport videos and chat.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 5060 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:12 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/kurt ... s-in-texas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:25 pm 
2010 TBK-F1 prediction King

Quote:
Busch is an American legend

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:41 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

He is. In more ways than one. :-)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:35 am 

pimmy wrote:
I heard during the Cup race that Kurt Busch tested a V8. Is there anything more to that, or was it just a test?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lucky Dog, V8 style.

Quote:
V8 Supercars introduces NASCAR-style 'Lucky Dog' for 60/60 Sprint format race in Perth. Basically, any driver that finishes a lap down in the first 60km leg of the 60/60 format will now start the second leg on the lead lap, albeit from the back of the grid. Any driver more than one lap down, will not receive a Lucky Dog. Not much comfort for Craig Lowndes who finished the first leg in Tasmania a lap down and started the second leg already a lap in arrears. Still, a good move by V8 Supercars or should the rule format be left 'as is'?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:34 pm 

They should leave it as it is. If you get lapped, tough.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

pimmy wrote:
They should leave it as it is. If you get lapped, tough.

That is how motor racing works.

V8Supercars has not been motor racing for a while now

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:16 pm 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Scotty wrote:
racer69 wrote:
V8Supercars has not been motor racing for a while now

Yeah because V8Supercars should be catering for the archaic demands of people who's idea of real racing hasn't left 1979. Must be really hard seeing what todays racing is like with your head stuck so far up your own arse.
Every sport has to evolve for the better, and that introduction is something for the better. If little 7 year old Johnny watches his favourite driver get taken out not of his own doing and lose a lap, or have a tyre failure like we've seen a lot of recently and lose a lap, at least the little fan isn't devastated and actually gets to see his driver have a chance to make his way through the field. This only promotes better racing. Craig Lowndes was stuck a lap down in Tasmania, and did nothing the whole afternoon. Seeing a world class driver wasting his time a lap down is so fucking pointless!

How isn't it not motor racing? Every race so far has been great this year;

If it was Tim Blanchard who lost the lap through a puncture at Symmons, would they have implemented this rule change??

Dumbing the rules down to the lowest common denominator for the sake of a big name being competitive at the end of the race smacks of WWE and contrived entertainment, not a proper sporting contest.

Using your logic, why don't we stop every race whenever a car has an issue (be it a spin, a mechanical failure, a puncture) so they can rejoin the race and not lose any time... Lets just run a bunch of 5-lap races each day so everyone is in with a chance on the last lap

Lowndes had plain simple bad luck at Symmons Plains, losing a lap is a part of the pure sporting contest. If Alonso or Vettel get a puncture on lap 1 of the Spanish GP next week and happen to lose a lap, should they get their laps back too for the sake of the "7-year old Johnny's" you mention......

I never said the action this year hasn't been exciting and entertaining, But with rules like this lets not delude ourselves into thinking we are watching a proper sporting contest. Do they re-set AFL or NRL scores at half-time to make the games more interesting or ensure a close second half? Of course not.....

Scotty wrote:
This is the best I've seen V8 Supercars in years, it's thriving where all other touring car series are struggling (heres looking at you DTM, WTCC), it's garnering international attention, and raking in plenty of money.

This bit makes me laugh

Please explain to me, exactly, what money V8Supercars is, to quote you, "raking in" ???

It has been widely reported that V8Supercars is a financial basket case at the moment. The teams have been told they will be receiving absolutly nothing from their REC dividends this year, the the new-for-2013 TV deal was a far worse deal than the previous deal, which has hurt V8Supercars themselves financially this year too.

Here is part of an article written just before this years Clipsal 500;
Quote:
So the exterior of the show is looking bright and shiny, although on the inside all is not well.

Just days after stalwart team Dick Johnson Racing averted collapse, it has been revealed in Auto Action magazine this week that the V8 Supercar teams will not receive a dividend this year from the business they still 35 per cent own, with private equity company Archer Capital the majority owner.

Less than two years after the deal that brought in Archer, and just months after the exit of long-time V8 Supercars executive chairman Tony Cochrane, Auto Action's editor-at-large Mark Fogarty reported that "V8 Supercars' income from media rights, sponsorships and race fees (are) all falling short of forecasts".

"The sport's financial situation has deteriorated alarmingly in the tough economic conditions," Fogarty wrote.

"It (the notice of no dividend) is also another blow to the teams as they struggle with rising costs and the tightest sponsorship market in living memory.

"Most of the teams – even the well-funded ones – are facing shortfalls in their budgets as sponsor revenues decline, while the cost of the Car of the Future conversion soars.

"There are rumblings that (David) Malone's so-far-unconvincing tenure as chief executive officer will come under threat if he doesn't oversee significant new revenue-producing initiatives this year.

"The teams are further aggrieved that the cost of car construction and re-equipping for COTF has blown out, with the price of a new car up to 30 per cent more than the old spec."

These are dark clouds ... but for now let's just look forward to seeing what the new dawn brings on track in Adelaide.

Full article and link - http://www.motoring.com.au/news/2013/mo ... -era-35330

Also here;
Quote:
The championship’s competitors have had to fund the changeover to the Car of the Future this year amid a major decrease in Race Entitlement Contract revenues and a difficult sponsorship market, leaving several struggling to balance the books.

Full article and link - http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/03/01/v8- ... ting-push/

Doesn't paint a pretty picture does it

You should also have a look at Mark Fogarty's editorial in the current issue of Auto Action, where the latest sackings from within V8Supercars of David Malone and John Dunlop have left major questions over what exactly is going on inside the walls of V8Supercars head office.....

You also mention that DTM is struggling.... struggling so much that have recently done a deal with SuperGT for common regulations, and the DTM regulations will be used for a new series in the USA starting in 2015....

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:29 pm 
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner
2011 TBK-Light most negative awards, award winner

Far too many series right now have all these silly gimmics that never allow races (or championships, eg. NASCAR) to pan out, V8 Supercars is just the latest one to join the gang. What's next I wonder?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:04 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
mclaren2008 wrote:
Far too many series right now have all these silly gimmics that never allow races (or championships, eg. NASCAR) to pan out, V8 Supercars is just the latest one to join the gang. What's next I wonder?

Generally because before the silly gimmics came in 90% of the tv viewers were bored shitless and switched the TV off. Its pretty simple though (and im not singling you out mclaren2008) if you don't like the changes don't watch it...if you do then keep watching it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:29 am 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I'd like to hear one racing series that hasn't had rule changes in the interest of improving the show. None of them are above it and motor racing has never been about pure competition with no interference - you need money to race just about anything, and you won't get it if your product is boring to watch.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:07 am 
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Scotty wrote:
- V8 Supercars have gone from running around in tin sheds at the ass end of nowhere to international quality circuits like Austin, Bahrain, Abu Dhabi and is probably the most watched touring car series in the world (like to see DTM TV stats but from what I've heard, the racing has been boring as all hell. They're evolving by adding DRS into their cars. See? Without evolution every race would be boring as bat shit like it has been since 2005). Post all the articles you want about DJR's slow demise (they were practically dead in the mid 00's as I recall) and leadership squables, the series is going from strength to strength. Motor racing is an expensive game to be involved in, financial squabbles between teams and REC's are omnipresent.

- DTM is merging with a touring car series nobody outside of Japan watches wow yeah good point. They really aren't struggling you got me there. Trying to take over GrandAm, another series that is slowly fading. Yeah got me there. One stage they had about 17 cars running didn't they? Because V8SC should be trembling in fear of them running awesome 90 lap races with no overtaking on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit, or running races in Football stadiums (how you, the gimmick hater, can back up a series that features that is beyond anyone)[/spoiler]

Please explain how a series can be going from, as you put it, "strength to strength", when the series has so publically stated that the series will not be making any money this year?

I'm just dealing with the facts and information in the wide media, your comments seem to be purely emotion based with no hard evidence to back this 'strength to strength' claim up

I wasn't "backing up" DTM so to speak, DRS and the 'football stadium' things are most certainly silly gimmicks. However, You stated that DTM was struggling compared to V8Supercars, i was just merely pointing out that if other countries are adopting their regulations, so things can't be too bad there. You also say you've "heard, the racing has been boring as all hell".... maybe instead of basing opinions on what you hear, actually watch and judge for yourself (for what its worth, i don't find the DTM racing any better than V8s)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

DTM blows, the V8's have consistently put on the best racing this year by a country fucking mile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:04 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Going further on the Lucky Dog, one driver on Twitter (I think it was Tander) posted that he wouldn't mind it being brought in for races 250kms or more. Don't mind it being bought in, but would much rather it go to one car, instead of all that are one lap down.

Also, Tim Blanchard's Ford for this weekend, with more Shell signage:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:33 pm 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Scotty wrote:
I know my recent posts have been talking about evolution and future, but they have to bring that god damn Shell scheme back. At age 7-8-9 I was die hard Holden but still had a soft spot for it, particularly the number font.

Which one? The EB or AU one?

I was personally fond of the one they used on the BA, just stays with me for some reason.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:46 am 
Silver Member
Silver Member

Location: Jenson Button is running in the top 10 in 11th place.
And to an even further era.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:43 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Dammit. :[

This is a very good scheme, I just preferred the old one.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:04 am 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Shits on every Pepsi livery run for the last two years. By a country mile.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:18 pm 

Sooo....Premier Sports at 6.45am tomorrow is apparently showing live V8 Supercars from Perth, race 10? :?

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 11:41 pm 
Founder of the Yaytree
Founder of the Yaytree

Tom wrote:
Sooo....Premier Sports at 6.45am tomorrow is apparently showing live V8 Supercars from Perth, race 10? :?

Shit channel, plz close and give all Motorsport to Motors TV.....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIaKIE ... 5t9d5PvoHA

Twitter:

http://www.twitter.com/paulhadsley

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 1196 posts ]  Go to page Previous 146 47 48 49 5060 Next